physics of flight

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
dsj 4

physics of flight

Post by dsj 4 »

Jussi could you improve in the next version of the position of the jumper on the fly so that he was more lined skiing then a more dynamic.what do you think Jussi

Sorry for my bad English
Zmaster

Re: physics of flight

Post by Zmaster »

It has been discussed several times during beta 1 and it improved a lot to beta 2. I find it next to perfect since you can't really personalize style for every desire with the physics currently available.
That's gotta hurt.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

The limiting factor is actually the players' ability to control the flight. With mouse you simply can't control every body angle/movement and I have had to make some compromises, so that the flying style would be most suitable to all kinds of hills.
dsj 4

Post by dsj 4 »

Oh I understand thank you for answer Jussi :)
pajkul

Post by pajkul »

Jussi Koskela wrote:The limiting factor is actually the players' ability to control the flight. With mouse you simply can't control every body angle/movement and I have had to make some compromises, so that the flying style would be most suitable to all kinds of hills.
Well, it looks like you still jump the fursthest when there is this shaking up and down motion of skis after the takeoff. It doesn't look very realistic. Can anything be done about this or it would require breaking the compromises that have been made?
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

pajkul wrote: Well, it looks like you still jump the fursthest when there is this shaking up and down motion of skis after the takeoff. It doesn't look very realistic. Can anything be done about this or it would require breaking the compromises that have been made?
The main reason for this is that the ski jumper in DSJ4 has stronger ankles than in reality (=faster movements). It's pretty natural that the skis will have some extra motion if you make a hard stop after moving the mouse down. The ankles have to be strong, so that controlling the ski jumper feels responsive enough. Otherwise you wouldn't feel being in control.
Bjørn Andre Monsen

Post by Bjørn Andre Monsen »

Jussi! Have you thought about adding an option in the "settings" where you can choose flightstyle? how far down the jumper should bow, or how wide V jumper should have, etc that you made ​​some styles we can choose betvveene :) personal i love the beta 2 flight style!
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Bjørn Andre Monsen wrote:Jussi! Have you thought about adding an option in the "settings" where you can choose flightstyle? how far down the jumper should bow, or how wide V jumper should have, etc that you made ​​some styles we can choose betvveene :) personal i love the beta 2 flight style!
That would be quite a different game. It's also impossible to model the aerodynamics so precisely that every change would have a realistic effect.