Dynamic wind system and more...

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
plan3s

Dynamic wind system and more...

Post by plan3s »

While I'm aware that there has been many wind points or gate suggestions I'd love to share my thoughts about the game at the moment.

After releasing the 1.0 version of game, as all we know, it became a little easier to master and without much effort we could find this optimal position on each hill and be always sure how we gonna jump. After some time we reach the point when like 80% of jumps are landed in the very same spot defined by wind conditions. The 20% is differed by these very slight changes in weather we notice during the competition.

In my opinion, it shouldn't be like this. The wind shortens the jump, but we can't exactly do anything to make longer, after we take the base position and hold it tight.

Now, what i'm going to propose is to make the wind more significant factor in a jump AND give us some kind of ability to overcome it or to use it to make our jump longer (pulling back or forth would be the simpliest). By more significant I mean DIFFERENT in different places on the hill. Lets say after we take off we get some back blast so we have to pull the mouse back to preserve the height and then we notice a wind under our skis so we pull forward and just fly on it.

A little modification to UI could make it easier, like some sort of dynamic half-visible wind arrow over our jumper with green to red colour defining the wind power.

Thats first of my ideas. Second is much more simplified. With addition of new dynamic wind system we could add some simple startgate movements to correct changing weather conditions. It could be triggered by eighter too short or too long jump(s) and of course fixed by some minor or major point compensation. In some future by then, wind points could make a little more sense.

tl:dr: different wind in different places of hill actually affecting the jump + ability to overcome it + judges moving the startgate to overcome same jumps over and over again and make stuff more fun.
pietrek

Re: Dynamic wind system and more...

Post by pietrek »

Good idea, i was thinking about it some time ago
plan3s

Post by plan3s »

I'd really like to hear what you think about it Jussi :)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Different kind of wind in different parts of the hill could be possible but I don't want to add any extra indicators next to the jumper.
Metsi

Post by Metsi »

Jussi Koskela wrote:Different kind of wind in different parts of the hill could be possible but I don't want to add any extra indicators next to the jumper.
They could be semi-transparent and displayed by pushing one of the key's.
If i remember right the 'map' function in Diablo works that way.
Hope you know what i mean ;)
pietrek

Post by pietrek »

Jussi Koskela wrote:Different kind of wind in different parts of the hill could be possible but I don't want to add any extra indicators next to the jumper.
God... so that's the only reason to not include it? :| It's triviality
nanucha

Post by nanucha »

so.. add without extra indicators :wink:
From that day (20.02.1994) I LOVE ski jumping:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKuWuP ... =spoon03jp
Risen

Post by Risen »

Enable extra layer via Ctrl-H with "extra stats". It would be awesome to me. Current standings, differences of points, etc.
Nie popieram małyszomanii, a tym bardziej żadnej stochomanii.
Albo kibicujesz wszystkim skoczkom, albo rodakom, albo ssiesz ;)
"Czułeś się kiedyś jak Hula?" -Woody Allen