Landing

General discussion about DSJ4.
misiek58

Re: Landing

Post by misiek58 »

Yep landing is very difficult and yes SuperAdo111 you're right 2 legs MUST be more easier!!
RobertKranjecFAN

Post by RobertKranjecFAN »

How about this: I landed (just) but then jumpers' ankles decide to turn and jumper falls.
http://speedy.sh/D2JGB/delayed-fall.rpl
The thing is that I had no controll of jumper at the time of fall.
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

Mario Kickmayer wrote:In my opinion, flat jumps should be easier to land than high jumps. But meanwhile it seems to be not so.
I have to disagree. It's definitely easier to land "flat jumps".
And the two foot landing is (nearly) similar to telemark landing.
Exactly what I said. And that's a first in DSJ history! In DSJ2, DSJ3 and DSJ4 beta, there was always a considerable and logical difference between two foot and telemark landing for HS jumps or above. Now it seems as if a two foot landing is just the same as a telemark landing, which also explains the many falls everyone is complaining about. Well, at least some of those falls. I'm pretty sure that many players still haven't switched from the easy "one-click landing" to the new and improved "active landing" which requires more than just a single mouse-click.
RobertKranjecFAN wrote:How about this: I landed (just) but then jumpers' ankles decide to turn and jumper falls.
http://speedy.sh/D2JGB/delayed-fall.rpl
The thing is that I had no controll of jumper at the time of fall.
I don't even have to watch your replay, I know exactly what you mean. But that's an issue that we already had during beta and in DSJ3, but it got never adressed since it didn't have as big an impact as it does now. No-one ever wanted to back me up on this, so I guess that's what many players deserve now ... I'm getting tired of fighting for some more tweaks to the control system that would make the game even more realistic and more competitive when everyone seems to be happy with new graphics ...
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog
Mario Kickmayer

Post by Mario Kickmayer »

EyTschej wrote:
Mario Kickmayer wrote:In my opinion, flat jumps should be easier to land than high jumps. But meanwhile it seems to be not so.
I have to disagree. It's definitely easier to land "flat jumps".
Maybe i took the falls words:
I meant, that you have to lift the jumper very high at the takeoff to be a bit slower at the landing. If yoou take all speed of the inrun down to the landing (and maybe start from higher gate) you are faster and maybe longer, but the chance of stand the jump is quiet small.
RobertKranjecFAN

Post by RobertKranjecFAN »

EyTschej wrote:...
I don't even have to watch your replay, I know exactly what you mean. But that's an issue that we already had during beta and in DSJ3, but it got never adressed since it didn't have as big an impact as it does now. No-one ever wanted to back me up on this, so I guess that's what many players deserve now ... I'm getting tired of fighting for some more tweaks to the control system that would make the game even more realistic and more competitive when everyone seems to be happy with new graphics ...
This was my third time that this happened, today!
But what amazes me is what Jussi said in another topic:
Jussi Koskela wrote:The main reason for this is that the ski jumper in DSJ4 has stronger ankles than in reality (=faster movements). It's pretty natural that the skis will have some extra motion if you make a hard stop after moving the mouse down. The ankles have to be strong, so that controlling the ski jumper feels responsive enough. Otherwise you wouldn't feel being in control.
Jskarp

Post by Jskarp »

I hope this landing issue will be fixed. It doesnt always matter wether u land at hs or K, u still fall.
Even with both mouse buttons, seems it does not matter.
And when 25 jumpers out of 60 online falls. Its quite boring and far from realistic. Could just left the landing the way it was in the beta imo.
Other than that, the game is great!
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Jskarp wrote:I hope this landing issue will be fixed. It doesnt always matter wether u land at hs or K, u still fall.
And when 25 jumpers out of 60 online falls. Its quite boring and far from realistic. Could just left the landing the way it was in the beta imo.
Other than that, the game is great!

I think the game is not supposed to be learned in 2 days.
That's gotta hurt.
Risto Salonen

Post by Risto Salonen »

Jskarp wrote:I hope this landing issue will be fixed. It doesnt always matter wether u land at hs or K, u still fall.
The landing issue will be fixed when players will stop attacking the landing slope. The skis shouldn't be parallel in relation to the slope, they need to be at an angle. Otherwise you will not have the balance to do a proper landing. I made the same mistake many times at first but now my telemark landings are mostly successful.
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

Zmaster wrote:I think the game is not supposed to be learned in 2 days.
Exactly. Remember all the fuss about take-off when the beta was released! "Impossible to not flip over and fall immediately after take-off" and so on. It took weeks for experienced dsj3-players to adapt. Give it some time.
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

I think the difference to beta1 is that online server wasn't available right after launch, so people learned to jump before hitting online.
That's gotta hurt.
skiflyer11

Post by skiflyer11 »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
Zmaster wrote:I think landing is just fine once you learn it and find suitable flying curves. Only hill that is a bit off atm the moment is Kulm with VERY high impact at ~222 meters
The real world hill record in Kulm is 215.5, so it's supposed to be hard to land at 222 meters.
fine but then i think it should be not possible to jump that far :)

That's gotta hurt (sorry Zmaster for that fake ;))
Skyflyer

Post by Skyflyer »

Yes, but look:
1. I play generally DSJ many, many years and therefore, adapting to DSJ4 1.0 is easier for me, as well it was easier to get used to DSJ4 beta 1 and 2. But in previous versions there was no such problem with landing.
2. The problem in landing in my opinion is existing because I see no logical connection between mistakes that I make when I jump with falling/proper landing. And it seems to be not depending on how long do you train...
In previous version it was like this - you click too late - you fall. You click one button instead of two in a long distance - you fall. Falls was caused only by my mistakes, and than, I trained and could fix this mistakes, learn how to land properly. In DSJ4 1.0 I see no logical reason for falling in most cases. Not too long jump, buttons not clicked too late or when jumper is too high over the ground (falling when clicking too early is for me another issue that should be discussed - jumps such as Kofler in 2nd round Oberstdorf 2011 will not be able to stand in DSJ4 - he was too high, in DSJ4 he would fall, for sure) and even though he falls! That is the point of the whole thing about landing. Too often falls seems like "random event". Over HS in most hills it is almost 50% to 50% - land or fall.

I still play, train, in most jumps I see no mistakes and I still fall very often. I just can't understand new landing system and all the factors that influence landing result (fall/stand) on this system.

In BETA2 it was hard to land, it was much more difficult than ever before, but it was quite logicall for me - hard, but reasonable and caused by actual factors, mistakes. And the difference between telemark and pararell landing is so small... without telemark it should be possible to land almost everywhere (I mean reasonable distances, naturally).
JOIN THE BEST DSJ3 TOURNAMENT!
http://www.dsj3.net/index.php?lang=en
TPo

Post by TPo »

Skyflyer wrote:
In BETA2 it was hard to land, it was much more difficult than ever before, but it was quite logicall for me - hard, but reasonable and caused by actual factors, mistakes. And the difference between telemark and pararell landing is so small... without telemark it should be possible to land almost everywhere (I mean reasonable distances, naturally).
Did you play the same game as I? :roll: It was pretty easy to land 230-240m with telemark in beta 2...
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

This might help to understand the landing system abit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGQ6Kkv8C8Q
That's gotta hurt.
Jose_Bach

Post by Jose_Bach »

I think that landing is pretty realistic in this full version. It makes landing more fun if you have to do some work to reach proper landing.. and what comes to record hunting: if you fall some top jumps, there is much more "WOW"-feeling after you land your record length :)

Just patience, it will become easier after a few weeks!
Petri Kähkönen
My YouTube-channel (piano videos, for example my own compositions, arrangements etc.): http://www.youtube.com/user/BachJose -