Gibbon - #FIX_Gibbon

General discussion about DSJ4.
young_leosia

Re: Gibbon - #FIX_Gibbon

Post by young_leosia »

Jussi Koskela wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 13:41

So, technically it might be possible to prevent the usage of gibbon style, but it has existed for so long, that changing the rules at this point might not be very reasonable. Analyzing all the current PB replays would also require huge amount of computing power.
So it won't be implemented because of some sweaty players who have spent a lot of time practicing the gibbon? XD The game is now 11 years old. Maybe it's time for some kind of new opening on online competition...
Lechoo

Post by Lechoo »

It's definitely high time for "a new opening in the online competition" - but I wouldn't expect it to happen. Koskela is too lazy to do anything about it. "Significant amount of work", "Millions of replays to veryfy" etc.
Aleks_124

Post by Aleks_124 »

Lechoo wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 22:26 It's definitely high time for "a new opening in the online competition" - but I wouldn't expect it to happen. Koskela is too lazy to do anything about it. "Significant amount of work", "Millions of replays to veryfy" etc.
will you shut your mouth about Jussi's "lazyiness"?
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Jussi Koskela wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 21:19
Aleks_124 wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 20:29With replays - Just delete replays with gibbon
There are millions of replays to verify... :roll:
Would it be possible to create a tool that verifies a replay by looking at the mouse inputs in its code, without the need to simulate the whole jump?
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Xinitiao wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 02:23
Jussi Koskela wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 21:19
Aleks_124 wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 20:29With replays - Just delete replays with gibbon
There are millions of replays to verify... :roll:
Would it be possible to create a tool that verifies a replay by looking at the mouse inputs in its code, without the need to simulate the whole jump?
The anti-gibbon proof of concept was based on forces applied to bindings, but it would certainly be faster to just analyze the mouse movement. Finding the proper threshold is of course a big question. Maybe some hybrid two stage analysis could be a viable solution. With physics only approach it could take several weeks on single server to analyze all the current PB replays.
Frosch

Post by Frosch »

It would be great to stop Gibbon.
A complex examination of already existing jumps is not so important.

Better would be a completely new ranking from the day Gibbon stops working. The old ranking can remain.
New records can be transferred to both rankings (old and new).

Simply making Gibbon impossible would be a great step forward. Gibbon spoils the joy of participating in this game. Especially online, but also offline when chasing records.

Beginners soon lose interest when they see that they won't stand a chance because other players use a very special jump technique that was not intended by the developer.

Mediamond is not a giant company and for that the concept, game staging and updates are very remarkable. Maybe it's somehow possible to turn Gibbon off. That would be awesome.
Siatko

Post by Siatko »

In my opinion, I think the removal of the gibbon, is a very good idea, it should be worked out calmly, without any rush, to be fine-tuned for next season already, or test no gibbon in the WOTs in the Summer.
he10th3r310

Post by he10th3r310 »

I agree with the post. Create DSJ5 together (community project), fix the bugs, recreate physics, remove possibility of cheating, and maybe I buy the game and play with you guys again.
DSJ2 Total Length: 5438,88m
DSJ3 Total Length: 7825,25m
DSJ4 Total Lenght: 3560,25m (offline)

Combined: 16824.38m

I'm a retired player. I won't jump more competitive jumps, but I will anyway support the game future development as I can.
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

Siatko wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 13:39 In my opinion, I think the removal of the gibbon, is a very good idea, it should be worked out calmly, without any rush, to be fine-tuned for next season already, or test no gibbon in the WOTs in the Summer.
That's how i read your comments, and I am wondering do you think removing the gibbon in your case help you get better results? Ansewr is NO.And not only you, but all the rest.A simple example for you and for those mediocre people in DSJ.If a Gibbon is used in the game, it is simple to perform,and you didn't get it for 10 years, take off physics change, nothing will help you, because no skill.I've been using Gibbon since 2015, others started earlier,others started later, and they overtake me, are better then i'm, and have i ever written to remove this take off method ? No, because i have respect to another player that he took the time, and learned to play DSJ.I hope, that Mediamond owner will bring the no gibbon system to online servers,and then i will prove it you and the rest of the crying players, it's not Gibbon, it's skill varies between top players, and you won't arguments to write nonsense about the game.You have a long way ahead of you, so respect others, get on their level then argue.Now let's wait for the Jussi decision,i hope it will implement, even to test, to gather information.Personally i think, with slight wind adjustment, it might work, but true is so we have a 100% Wr's with gibbon, and in my opinion wind regulation can help introduce a new system take off.
PEAK : 1946

Online Total length 3531.47m
Aleks_124

Post by Aleks_124 »

he10th3r310 wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 19:49 I agree with the post. Create DSJ5 together (community project), fix the bugs, recreate physics, remove possibility of cheating, and maybe I buy the game and play with you guys again.
Ask this question not to us, but to Jussi :D
young_leosia

Post by young_leosia »

Tryharding the gibbon is not learning how to play DSJ, but just bug abuse. Why should I care that someone wasted 2137 hours tryharding a bug in the game? Is that supposed to be a reason not to improve the game? With such an approach, the game will never see any significant changes if we keep looking at someone who wasted thousands of hours on breaking records.
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Agree with the suggestion to implement anti-gibbon and create new record database and freeze the old one but keep it in read only mode. Make it DSJ5 if needed, we will buy it.

EDIT: include offline record hunt mode to it to encourage sales
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Making a paid DSJ5 as a clone of DSJ4 with only new features being no gibbon and windhunt mode is an awful idea. :cry:
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

MikesCZ wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 21:39 Agree with the suggestion to implement anti-gibbon and create new record database and freeze the old one but keep it in read only mode. Make it DSJ5 if needed, we will buy it.

EDIT: include offline record hunt mode to it to encourage sales
I definitely agree that if there's going to be a record reset, then you might as well try implementing the record hunting feature too. However, any progress towards making the game better counts, even if it's just one thing at a time.

Making a separate version wouldn't work in my opinion. People would flow to the gibbon-less version immediately and the old version would get abandoned very quickly. The gibbon fanatics would struggle to get 10 people together for the biggest tournaments.
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Xinitiao wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 23:01 Making a paid DSJ5 as a clone of DSJ4 with only new features being no gibbon and windhunt mode is an awful idea. :cry:
Fair enough. I got little bit carried away.
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!