Online changes

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.

Whether the changes described above are needed to be implemented

1.Yes
90%
2.No
5%
3.That's bad idea
5%

Total votes: 21

Maciejo-96

Re: Online changes

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Xinitiao wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 20:42 Why only one tournament on non-real hills? We have so many different hills, why not create same thematic rotating tournaments?
Real/original hills are the priority. For the rest we have just a Sunday Specials and that is enough.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Maciejo-96 wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 12:52
Xinitiao wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 20:42 Why only one tournament on non-real hills? We have so many different hills, why not create same thematic rotating tournaments?
Real/original hills are the priority. For the rest we have just a Sunday Specials and that is enough.
& then go wonder why only comparatively small fraction of players care about online tournaments when ~15% of hills are used for ~85% of tournaments. Even a "new hills tournament" world be interesting, and, as we've seen with 1.7 and 1.8, its the new things that bring new players to online. There is also a need for tournaments which are a bit more random because in a 200 player wot an average player doesn't even take part in the first round of most of the competitions, which is really not fun, so these players just leave, and top players like you who qualify to 2nd round most of the time get more and more distant from what makes the game fun for an average player. It's kind of sad how you look down on playing for 'fun' and think of it as something inferior.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

If you want to play for fun, there are non-stop servers and Sunday Specials. Tournament servers are for rivalry, that's why there are only real/official hills.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

No, "tournaments" are set times so you dont need to find 50/100/XXX people to play with you by yourself. You can just as well play wots on an 24h server, you'd just need to arrange for everyone to go there when you want them to. Ofc arranging that on your own is rather hard to do ;)
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Maciejo-96 wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 13:49 Tournament servers are for rivalry
Mariusz Paweł wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 17:55 And bring more people like when was after update 1.7.0 ( about 350 players on tournaments ).
BTW, find me one player who finds rivalry for 175th place in quali 30 times in a row fun/enjoyable/exciting/etc :mrgreen:
Lurker since 2001
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

That's why there should be a rating limit to enter A servers (currently it is 100% open, so more anomalies can happen). Circa 1200-1300 rating to enter this kind of server would be enough. For others there should be B servers. There is no fun for average player with playing 'power' on level below 1200 when he competes on server with over 100 people and has problems to qualify.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Inb4 e.g. szymciu w/800 rating before wot B or wot C and 1500 rating after

It doesnt work unless you kick people out of a server when they achieve a certain rating threshold or dont let in people with peak above a certain level

Also, playing with hundreds of people could be fun for everyone, if an average player could participate in most of the rounds of the competitions and the cup point system rewarded lower position too so that's something to think about for 1.12. But as it is, with real cup rules, tournaments cater only to top~70players
Lurker since 2001
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Xinitiao wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 13:06
Maciejo-96 wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 12:52
& then go wonder why only comparatively small fraction of players care about online tournaments when ~15% of hills are used for ~85% of tournaments. Even a "new hills tournament" world be interesting, and, as we've seen with 1.7 and 1.8, its the new things that bring new players to online. There is also a need for tournaments which are a bit more random because in a 200 player wot an average player doesn't even take part in the first round of most of the competitions, which is really not fun, so these players just leave, and top players like you who qualify to 2nd round most of the time get more and more distant from what makes the game fun for an average player. It's kind of sad how you look down on playing for 'fun' and think of it as something inferior.
Fully agree. The current tournament structure is very competitive oriented, the "average Joe" newcomer joins WOT, finishes 86. in qualification on 3 hills in a row and leaves. Some more casual oriented tournaments could be implemented. The traditional "50 Q, 30 to finals" model is very tough for average player if there is 80+ players.

How about some other, more fun game modes? Like last man standing, or knockout competition? Like a round of KO and then winners get paired for second round of KO, and so on until there is only a winner. Super fun. We don't need to be strict in the realistic world cup qualification and two rounds, especially for tournaments with fictional hills etc.
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Also I forgot about another idea: players with ratings below 1000 could have get temporary rating on level 1000 meanwhile the tournament + verification of rating after every tournament, not single competition. It could also affect non-stop servers which in my opinion should be unrated. Only tournaments servers would be ranked in that case.
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

Great job guys, I see that the topic was handled but all of you have different views on how the online game should look and maybe we should start from the most basic changes such as improving winds, and adding tournaments that we can vote for as a community and after when the game bgecomes playable and will be enjoyable we will get to different issues what do you guys think of this, maybe we can do a vote regarding tournaments and what hills would be involved.

I didn't use the translator this time Mask :lol: :)
PEAK : 1946

Online Total length 3531.47m
JanK

Post by JanK »

I think that the current state of the voting shows that some changes should be done...even though there are just 15 people involved so far, there is not a single vote against it.
Name: Jan Kapustka
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

First tuesday tournament had around 110 participants. I think that is pretty solid success and shows that more tournaments are good idea. There should be at least one scheduled tournament every day.

btw start at 21:00 did not hurt the participation either.

Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

MikesCZ wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 15:10 How about some other, more fun game modes? Like last man standing, or knockout competition? Like a round of KO and then winners get paired for second round of KO, and so on until there is only a winner. Super fun. We don't need to be strict in the realistic world cup qualification and two rounds, especially for tournaments with fictional hills etc.
Sounds very fun, I think it's definitely worth a try. New competition formats could bring in some new people and freshen things up for experienced players. If someone doesn't want to play them, they don't have to, the current tournaments are still available.
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

MikesCZ wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 00:06 First tuesday tournament had around 110 participants. I think that is pretty solid success and shows that more tournaments are good idea. There should be at least one scheduled tournament every day.

Just as i predicted, Friday competition on 32 "Normal" hills will attract more players i believe, just one question about the time, for me 21:00 it's too late to competition, personally prefer 19:00, but maybe others players can say more about that.

Jussi arguments aabout more daily Tournaments are supported knowledge of TDD, but this is totaly different story, separated daily competitions vs combined weekly tournament, on TDD you lose one day and you're out, you're angry, you don't play, daily competition keeps a constant number of players at a high level, and enhance their skills, but still a fundamental problem it is the wind, and we don't have any answer yet from Jussi, will he change it, and make the game "playable", or just there is no subject for him :wink:
PEAK : 1946

Online Total length 3531.47m
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

SoBo wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 12:14
MikesCZ wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 00:06 First tuesday tournament had around 110 participants. I think that is pretty solid success and shows that more tournaments are good idea. There should be at least one scheduled tournament every day.

for me 21:00 it's too late to competition, personally prefer 19:00, but maybe others players can say more about that.
I have the opposite problem, that is why I proposed to have one tournament per week to start later...all other start at 19 or 20.

Since there is only one scheduled tournament per day - it will never be possible to make everyone happy. Only solution would be to run two tournaments per day - one earlier and one later :D