Online changes

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.

Whether the changes described above are needed to be implemented

1.Yes
90%
2.No
5%
3.That's bad idea
5%

Total votes: 21

Xinitiao

Re: Online changes

Post by Xinitiao »

MikesCZ wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 15:10 Like a round of KO and then winners get paired for second round of KO, and so on until there is only a winner. Super fun. We don't need to be strict in the realistic world cup qualification and two rounds, especially for tournaments with fictional hills etc.
For more engagement, my idea is to pair winners with winners, losers with losers and so on, so that everyone jumps in every round and last round's winners are 1st, 3rd, 5th, ... x-1th.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Xinitiao wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 13:02 For more engagement, my idea is to pair winners with winners, losers with losers and so on, so that everyone jumps in every round and last round's winners are 1st, 3rd, 5th, ... x-1th.
Interesting, I like that! Pairings could also be made based on rating and competition would be a "collect as many wins as possible" with final standings calculated based on amount of times you won a duel + tiebreakers like better distance total, avg rating of opponents or I don't know.

I think we as players can provide thousand of ideas, but ultimately Jussi is the decision maker here... :)
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

MikesCZ wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 14:47 I think we as players can provide thousand of ideas, but ultimately Jussi is the decision maker here... :)
Afaik it's all in the scope of 1.12 so we can make a thread for brainstorming competition types :)
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

Jussi any answer, what do you think about the proposed changes?
PEAK : 1946

Online Total length 3531.47m
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

SoBo wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 13:20 1.Wind Conditions : We're dealing with backwinds or only crosswinds, high gate, and when we find front Wind with the WR gate wind power in 70% is less then 1.6/1,7 m/s, which is frustrating for the player.

Arguments: The player join to the game to enjoy the game, in this case it expects cool wind conditions, gets constant winds in the back and exits Online, simple.

and I'm not wrong because Winczaszek, Karciarz, or Sylwestrzuk repeatedly expressed their desire for such changes, by the time 24 Official DSJ Hills we had no less like 2 WR winds, in Q 1.9/2.0, in first round 2.1/2.2 but in in the third series front wind was verry offen 2.4/2.5, and now has a strength of 1.4, and still answer no wind Changes Br.Jussi, so if you dodn't change nothing, is time fix it because it broke itself :wink:
I was thinking a bit about it, and you may as well be right that the winds have changed after 1.8, it's just that you have been barking up the wrong tree about it :wink:
White I'm sure that the in-game wind algorithm has not changed, there was another thing that was - the hill windcharts. If e.g. a Jussi hill had a wr gate that appeared on 2.0 180* wind, it was pretty easy to roll good conditions on it. But nowadays it is ensured by the goriseks that you cant jump too far for their liking, so more hills are set that the wr conditions appear at most on 1.7 180* frontwind, and while you can roll 2.5 conditions on that, it's way more rare.

Note: I don't care enough about records to make a comparison of original 24 windcharts vs custom real windcharts, but anyone with some free time to spare is welcome to make it https://dsj4utils.netlify.app/windchart

If I'm right, feel free in being dissapointed at the winds, just don't complain to Jussi because it's not his fault, but to Sylwestrzuk, Winczaszek, Ślęczka and co. ;)
Lurker since 2001
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

I don't know technically, on these things but i've been playing DSJ 4 Online since 2013, adn i know that something has changed which resulted in there are no players Online, and don't tell me that you don't see it yourself.I never even mentioned it, about restoring 2.4 front winds, i just want to inform Jussi,so many back winds 2m+ are more probable in game, han the blowing wind around 0.5, does not matter in which direction.
PEAK : 1946

Online Total length 3531.47m
Milosz Michalak

Post by Milosz Michalak »

SoBo wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 14:23 I don't know technically, on these things but i've been playing DSJ 4 Online since 2013, adn i know that something has changed which resulted in there are no players Online, and don't tell me that you don't see it yourself.I never even mentioned it, about restoring 2.4 front winds, i just want to inform Jussi,so many back winds 2m+ are more probable in game, han the blowing wind around 0.5, does not matter in which direction.
I agree in 100% :)
PEAK:1978
TL OFFLINE:3560.47-First place in the world
TL ONNLINE:3539,75-First place in the world
Milosz Michalak

Xinitiao wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 12:49
SoBo wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 13:20 1.Wind Conditions : We're dealing with backwinds or only crosswinds, high gate, and when we find front Wind with the WR gate wind power in 70% is less then 1.6/1,7 m/s, which is frustrating for the player.

Arguments: The player join to the game to enjoy the game, in this case it expects cool wind conditions, gets constant winds in the back and exits Online, simple.

and I'm not wrong because Winczaszek, Karciarz, or Sylwestrzuk repeatedly expressed their desire for such changes, by the time 24 Official DSJ Hills we had no less like 2 WR winds, in Q 1.9/2.0, in first round 2.1/2.2 but in in the third series front wind was verry offen 2.4/2.5, and now has a strength of 1.4, and still answer no wind Changes Br.Jussi, so if you dodn't change nothing, is time fix it because it broke itself :wink:
I was thinking a bit about it, and you may as well be right that the winds have changed after 1.8, it's just that you have been barking up the wrong tree about it :wink:
White I'm sure that the in-game wind algorithm has not changed, there was another thing that was - the hill windcharts. If e.g. a Jussi hill had a wr gate that appeared on 2.0 180* wind, it was pretty easy to roll good conditions on it. But nowadays it is ensured by the goriseks that you cant jump too far for their liking, so more hills are set that the wr conditions appear at most on 1.7 180* frontwind, and while you can roll 2.5 conditions on that, it's way more rare.

Note: I don't care enough about records to make a comparison of original 24 windcharts vs custom real windcharts, but anyone with some free time to spare is welcome to make it https://dsj4utils.netlify.app/windchart

If I'm right, feel free in being dissapointed at the winds, just don't complain to Jussi because it's not his fault, but to Sylwestrzuk, Winczaszek, Ślęczka and co. ;)
In my opinion, the DSJ algorithm has changed
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Xinitiao wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 12:49 I was thinking a bit about it, and you may as well be right that the winds have changed after 1.8, it's just that you have been barking up the wrong tree about it :wink:

If you don't have enough knowledge about the subject and you try just to snipe anyone, just stay calm and don't write anything. There is no place for causticity and malice.

The problem with wind exists but not since 1.7/1.8. The problem exists since the beginning of DSJ4, so it's over 10 years. Nobody remembers that when online records became implemented to game, there was such a grinding first days and some people were leaving and joining no-rating server extremely often. Why? Because they wanted front-wind, even around 1 m/s, even just to beat actually existing record. So a few days later Jussi implemented a 120 seconds cooldown between leaving any online server and joining the same server. Also in that times, quite frequent on tournaments was ironical writing 'nice wind' or even 'thx Jussi' when there was a backwind. But if I see the talks 'but in past I had usually 2 m/s frontwind'... Maybe I was just unlucky? I had in past more frequent backwinds or sidewinds, frontwinds over 1 m/s were max 1-2 times per session, depending on how many hills were in game before custom hills era.

Also windcharts...

'If e.g. a Jussi hill had a wr gate that appeared on 2.0 180* wind, it was pretty easy to roll good conditions on it.'

No. It doesn't work like that. The wind amplitude is circa 1.6-1.8 m/s (tested on selected wind conditions in training), so even when average wind power is 1.6-1.7 m/s, there is still the slight possibilty to gate max wind 2.4-2.5 m/s. And to be honest this is the anomally because it causes often world records from gate +1 than the lowest possible to get. This is the thing which must be changed in the future.
Last edited by Maciejo-96 on 23 Dec 2022, 14:47, edited 3 times in total.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
Milosz Michalak

Maciejo-96 wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 14:12
Xinitiao wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 12:49 I was thinking a bit about it, and you may as well be right that the winds have changed after 1.8, it's just that you have been barking up the wrong tree about it :wink:

If you don't have enough knowledge about the subject and you try just to snipe some, just stay calm and don't write anything. There is no place for causticity and malice. The problem with wind exists but not since 1.7/1.8. The problem exists since the beginning of DSJ4, so it's over 10 years. Nobody remembers that when online records became implemented to game, there was such a grinding first days and some people were leaving and joining no-rating server extremely often. Why? Because they wanted front-wind, even around 1 m/s, even just to beat actually existing record. So a few days later Jussi implemented a 120 seconds cooldown between leaving any online server and joining the same server. Also in that times, quite frequent on tournaments was ironical writing 'nice wind' or even 'thx Jussi' when there was a backwind. But if I see the talks 'but in past I had usually 2 m/s frontwind'... Maybe I was just unlucky? I had in past more frequent backwinds or sidewinds, frontwinds over 1 m/s were max 1-2 times per session, depending on how many hills were in game before custom hills era.

Also windcharts...

'If e.g. a Jussi hill had a wr gate that appeared on 2.0 180* wind, it was pretty easy to roll good conditions on it.'

No. It doesn't work like that. The wind amplitude is circa 1.6-1.8 m/s (tested on selected wind conditions in training), so even when average wind power is 1.6-1.7 m/s, there is still the slight possibilty to gate max wind 2.5 m/s. And to be honest this is the anomally because it causes often world records from gate +1 than the lowest possible to get.
Jussi please!!!! Will you change it?
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Maciejo-96 wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 14:12 If you don't have enough knowledge about the subject and you try just to snipe anyone, just stay calm and don't write anything. There is no place for causticity and malice.

No. It doesn't work like that. The wind amplitude is circa 1.6-1.8 m/s (tested on selected wind conditions in training), so even when average wind power is 1.6-1.7 m/s, there is still the slight possibilty to gate max wind 2.4-2.5 m/s. And to be honest this is the anomally because it causes often world records from gate +1 than the lowest possible to get. This is the thing which must be changed in the future.
You just specified what I said before - that wr conditions can be achieved in wind that rolled an avg of 1.6-1.7.
What you failed to mention though is that you ensure that wr gate (+1) is available for max avg wind of around 1.7 instead of e.g. 1.9, so it's way harder to get the wr conditions, and even if you roll the 1.7 180* frontwind with a wr gate, you get the 2.4 wind way less often during hunting both offline and online. But you surely know that already ;)

What it does is further raising time costs of record hunting, so having skill matters less than having more free time to burn

EDIT: PS show me where the "causticity and malice" is bc i dont see it, calling you out on your conscious decisions doesn't count as that in my book ;)
Lurker since 2001
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Read carefully. You wrote that about official hills. But you don't know that windcharts on those hills didn't change even once - but it looks like you try to tell everyone that Gorisek Bros. made changes also there. Very wrong thinking.

PS. You know where was a malice in your posts, just blaming Gorisek Bros. with no reason and no proof about things on what Gorisek Bros. had totally NO impact.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Maciejo-96 wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 16:25 'If e.g. a Jussi hill had a wr gate that appeared on 2.0 180* wind, it was pretty easy to roll good conditions on it.'

Read carefully. You wrote that about official hills. But you don't know that windcharts on those hills didn't change even once - but it looks like you try to tell everyone that Gorisek Bros. made changes also there. Very wrong thinking.

PS. You know where was a malice in your posts, just blaming Gorisek Bros. with no reason and no proof about things on what Gorisek Bros. had totally NO impact.
What? Of course not, I thought it was obvious I meant custom hills, as you cannot change windcharts without changing hashes of the hills.

Code: Select all

make a comparison of original 24 windcharts vs custom real windcharts
PS You [goriseks] have all the impact with regards to custom hills ;) Take some public responsibility for a change ;)
Lurker since 2001
JanK

Post by JanK »

@Jussi, some answer would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Name: Jan Kapustka
Nation: CZE
Milosz Michalak

JanK wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 18:30 @Jussi, some answer would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Exactly xd

Peak-1748
TL offline-3541.63