1.11 - weather update?

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
KulickiB

1.11 - weather update?

Post by KulickiB »

Hi Jussi,
hundreds of players wanted new hills in the past (yeah, me too) but I was really hoping for weather/graphics update.
Suggestion maybe looks kinda weird but I'm very disappointed of current weather options available in the game.
1. Snowfall
Snowfall in deluxe ski jump 4 looks like this (100% snow)
Maybe that isn't so bad at all and looks ok, but let's look at snowfall in real life (Bischofshofen 05.01.22)
As you can see, the difference is visible. Not only on inrun (btw it looks great but is it possible to make it in game?). Snowfall in dsj looks... poor.
Okay, so let's set January 9, 16:00, 100% snow & fog 9.0.
Now real competition from January 9, 2022, 16:00:
Much better. Even with cloudy weather 16:00 in dsj means sunset. We can make effect from screen when we would set fog on 17.0, but... still, that doesn't look pretty good.
And finally, in my opinion snow texture should be changed. Now it looks like vertical, veeery stretched line. :mrgreen:
2. Rain???
For some reason, we can't set rain in winter conditions. But why? On January 29, 2022 there was rainfall in Willingen, but deluxe ski jump for some reason offers rainfall only in summer... And why the texture of rain looks like gray snow? It isn't realistic. I think we should be able to set rain and snow together, nowadays that's common weather in January-March period.
3. Sunsets
Let's set day to March 5th, 18:00, and clouds 50.0.
And now Oslo 05.03.2022, ~18:00:
Okay, that's not as bad. So, how it looks like from inrun perspective? (18:15)
Now IRL:
And what? We can't have colorful sky, we have something... I don't know how to say that. It looks like fog mixed with clouds and sun together. The sky should be more "blue" and clouds should have real functions. Sorry, but currently it looks bad.
4. Fog
Okay, last one. In my opinion fog should be improved - let's look at fog 100, Vikersund on February 14th.
Darkness... but why? Now, Prevc's 250m jump:
Fog is totally normal, like during the daytime. But what about... making fog more difficult?
Screen was taken from Kimmo Yliriesto's jump from Oslo, 2002-03-17. Now let's test 100% fog in dsj.
BRUH. Of course I know that fog like in Oslo could be annoying during record huntings or online game, but here I suggest button "Weather on/off" - that would be the best solution and everyone would be happy. If you would like to jump with extremely difficult conditions, start world cup. If you would like to jump in default weather conditions, turn weather off. Of course without influence on weather. Finally (it's more controversial) I would like to set weather conditions for every single competition in my world cup calendar. For example, other settings for Oslo (100% fog, 20% rain), other for Zakopane (100% snow) etc.
Jussi, I hope you will read this and think more about my suggestions. Everything is possible!
Greetings
Andrej šunkar

Re: 1.11 - weather update?

Post by Andrej šunkar »

I agree that it should improve the graphics like the weather conditions and the sky, on the other hand if it was as dense fog as in the picture and heavier snow that the jumper could barely see, then again it would be a problem as it we have the direction of the wind, which we do not like at all when it blows at our back. I could really turn up the snow and rain a bit. First of all, Jussi has to improve the jumpers (helmets, skis, vest) and the terrain so that the trees and houses can be placed next to the stands, as he himself promised that he can do it and I hope he will, if he hasn't forgotten, because it's been so long of this. But I still insist on changing the color, the green line of the leader. It's even better to customize it yourself. As you know, there were no updates for a while and the game was really boring, but the last two years boom, all of a sudden a bunch of new hills and they keep getting better. If I updated the game several times a year and not just at the end of November, a lot more would be done. I don't understand why the updates have to be only at the end of November, as fans of this game, we play all year round, so there are also summer hills.
I won't just give a critique, I'll admit that this is one of the best ski jumping games out there in terms of physics.
Andrej šunkar

Re: 1.11 - weather update?

Post by Andrej šunkar »

I forgot to add, as far as the graphics are concerned, yes, it's true, we all want better graphics, but there is one problem and I think Mr. Jussi is also aware of it. If we play the game as it is, the game runs smoothly, but when we add a graphics patch before starting (ewg-patch-podstawa), the game starts stuttering on some hills. The most affected are Nizhny Tagil, Oslo, Trondheim, Klingenthal, Pyeongchang, maybe there are others. The graphics are really better, but playing on such hills is not so interesting anymore.