Headwind probability - Online

General discussion about DSJ4.
JanK

Headwind probability - Online

Post by JanK »

Hello Jussi,

Some may agree, some may not... But did you consider changing wind algorithm a little bit? It seems that the portion of tailwind is way too big. Of course there shouldn't be 2,5m headwind on every other hill, but some small increase of head wind probability would be good IMHO.

Thank you!
Last edited by JanK on 12 Apr 2022, 13:46, edited 3 times in total.
Name: Jan Kapustka
Nation: CZE
Tim Davignon

Re: Head wind probability - Online

Post by Tim Davignon »

Yes, I agree :D
TOP3 offline Czech and TOP30 in world TL - 3520m
French roots, but Czech. ForzaCzechDsj.
Ladislav Pěnička

Post by Ladislav Pěnička »

Yes, I agree! Good idea. :)
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

+1 agree. Sometimes it feels like a miracle to get ONE optimal condition on a hill per whole 1-2 hour gaming session :D
Name: Michal Kala

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

But if we talk overally, anyone remember that? viewtopic.php?p=70558&hilit=plenty#p70558
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
Martin Kafka

Post by Martin Kafka »

Maciejo-96 wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 17:49 But if we talk overally, anyone remember that? viewtopic.php?p=70558&hilit=plenty#p70558
Yes, and, most importantly this. Already discussed at length many times ad nauseam. Not sure whether this still applies to DSJ4 too, though.
Whole topic, however, has become somewhat obsolete with more people playing 24/7 and with all precautions applied online exploited and circumvented in various ways, it comes down to who's willing to spend most time in the game (as far as the absolute record length factor is concerned). Also note that any significant alteration of ingame algorithms would warrant a complete restart of record lists. Perhaps separate WOT-only record lists might mitigate this somewhat, but this was also already suggested many years ago, among other things.
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

It's not very likely that anything will change when it comes to important mechanics such as wind behavior, record hunting or physics. You always have an individual or a small group of people with a suggestion, then 3 or 4 people agree, maybe someone disagrees... So then you make a poll where 15 or 20 people vote. The results end up with about 55-65% in favor of the idea, which is not convincing at all, so nothing happens once again. Then some other people modify the suggestion a bit, there's a bit of a discussion for a while and eventually the thread dies. A couple weeks or months later someone else suggests pretty much the same thing, and the cycle repeats once again...
JanK

Post by JanK »

Dangerous Dave wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 12:31 It's not very likely that anything will change when it comes to important mechanics such as wind behavior, record hunting or physics. You always have an individual or a small group of people with a suggestion, then 3 or 4 people agree, maybe someone disagrees... So then you make a poll where 15 or 20 people vote. The results end up with about 55-65% in favor of the idea, which is not convincing at all, so nothing happens once again. Then some other people modify the suggestion a bit, there's a bit of a discussion for a while and eventually the thread dies. A couple weeks or months later someone else suggests pretty much the same thing, and the cycle repeats once again...
Well you are right. In terms of physics or mechanics of the jumping there probably won't be any additional changes anymore since it would very time consuming. But wind mechanism should be very easy to modify.
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

JanK wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 12:45 Well you are right. In terms of physics or mechanics of the jumping there probably won't be any additional changes anymore since it would very time consuming. But wind mechanism should be very easy to modify.
Maybe it is easy to modify, but it's still a quite significant change. I believe it will be difficult to get the community to agree on this, and I don't think Jussi will change anything unless the overwhelming majority of active/experienced players agrees that changes should be made.
JanK

Re: Headwind probability - Online

Post by JanK »

In that case I'm not sure how to proceed. I would love to have record hunting mode or at least this small wind modification. For player like me (no time at all, max one hour per day in the evening) it's such a waste of time to wait for good conditions. Yes it's good to jump also in bad wind to improve your skill but everyone wants to beat their records, right? I think majority of the community would welcome record hunting mode (except WR holders).
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

The last poll about record hunting mode ended with 56% in favor of the idea, which is the majority, but just barely. Personally I would welcome that mode or the wind modification. It frustrates me that my personal records do not reflect what I'm capable of, because I do not have the time or willpower to go through the lengthy and tedious process of wind searching. However, I've already learned not to worry about it too much, it is better to focus on WOTs, community tournaments in practice mode or just downloading a pack of real life jumpers and jumping in random wind for fun.
JanK

Post by JanK »

Dangerous Dave wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 14:48 However, I've already learned not to worry about it too much, it is better to focus on WOTs, community tournaments in practice mode or just downloading a pack of real life jumpers and jumping in random wind for fun.
That's one option of course. Second option is to try change things. This game is more than 10 years old yet still lot of people play it. There is good reason for it - this game is amazing. And if there is some possibility to make it even more good, we should go for it.
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

JanK wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 20:32 That's one option of course. Second option is to try change things. This game is more than 10 years old yet still lot of people play it. There is good reason for it - this game is amazing. And if there is some possibility to make it even more good, we should go for it.
Well, I have sort of given up on that when 14 out of 32 people considered wind searching an important game feature. Apparently some people enjoy clicking through a menu for hours on end, or at least they enjoy the advantage they get over people who don't have the time to do that.
However, I don't want to discourage you or anyone else from trying to help improve the game. I believe you would have to organize your efforts, though. Maybe try brainstorming in the DSJ discord servers, see what people think of the suggestions and try to come up with a compromise that the vast majority of players would agree with. If you can reach an agreement and show Jussi that the community strongly supports the idea, then it's likely that it will be implemented.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Dangerous Dave wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 16:06 compromise that the vast majority of players would agree with.
The small problem with that idea is that the vast majority of players don't care about this forum; even an official poll with in-game info about it about selection of hills in online gathered only 70-80 voters, and so the "tryhard" part of the community is vastly overrepresented here. It's quite possible that there are not many more supporters of the menu grinding than the 14 players you mention.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
JanK

Post by JanK »

In-game poll seems like a best option. I'm not sure if Jussi would agree with it though. I already tried to start discussion on DSJ24.PL discord channel, but not many people actually interacted with me. I won't give up though :lol:.