horrible gameplay / steering

General discussion about DSJ4.
sup3rrac3r

horrible gameplay / steering

Post by sup3rrac3r »

Hello,

I am playing this for a while now, but after approx. 10K (!) jumps, I am never able to reach the hillsizes. I am always 10 - 20 m below it. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am getting more and more frustrated, the longer I play that game.

Tried several different mouses, gaming mouses, office mouses, changed mouse dpi settings and mouse sensitivity in-game. Everything with no effect on the quality of my jumps.

After that many jumps, an average player should be able to hit the correct jump point at the edge of the hill and get a more or less stabilized flight. My jumper is NEVER in a stabilzed poisition, it always gets the head down or falling backwards. When carefully trying to correct this behavior, things get even worse.
When I watch all the replays and YT-Videos I observe 2 things:
1. upon takeoff, jumpers gain much more height, not sure how this can be done. No mention anywhere.
2. when in the air, jumpers are always completely stabilzed, no forward or backward moving at all.

What the hell is the receipe for a smooth flight?
Xinitiao

Re: horrible gameplay / steering

Post by Xinitiao »

1) sometimes you get a 'perfect' takeoff and you can feel the jumper going higher than usual. Try taking off as late as you can. There is also a techinque called gibbon which involves shaking the jumper after takeoff which also helps to gain height.
2) you need to get the mouse sensitivity wayyyy low until you are able to place the jumper in flight on exactly the angle you want. You never want the jumper to point downwards.

Also, reaching the hillsizes on most custom real hills is quite hard, because top players who are verifying them for some reason dont like flying far over hs so they ensure that only they can get close to irl world records. Try Bad Mitterndorf HS200 or Lahti HS130 if you want to reach hs more easily.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
sup3rrac3r

Post by sup3rrac3r »

Thanks for your help.

What exactly do you mean by "shaking" the jumper? How is this achieved and what mouse movements are involved when using this technique? Whats the timeframe to do this?

My mouse sensitivity is set to 0,7, that seems to be a kind of a compromise between "too sensitive" and "no control at all". Reducing the mouse sensitivity below 0,5 will result in jumper falling backwards with no possibility to correct anymore.

What is your in-game mouse sensitivity setting in combination with what mouse resolution?

After tho thousands of jumps, you should be able to habe at least one or two extraordinary exceptions, just by luck. But I never had this, so i guess, I am doing something terribly wrong.
When I move the mouse backwards after take-off, i do that with an absolute slow, smooth and continuous movement, but I never get the jumper calm in the air. Always pointing forwards or backwards, with the need for corrections.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

You can see the shaking on most world record replays. I dont use this techinque as it only adds a few meters to your jumps at most and I feel learning it would decrease my enjoyment form the game.
My sensitivity is 0.6 with I think 400 or 800 dpi.

You should basically never move your mouse up, you move it towards yourself at takeoff and then continue that downward movement throughout the flight with angle adjustments being made by moving the mouse slower or faster.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

You also have to be a bit proactive when controlling the ski jumper in DSJ4. It's not possible to do big corrections to the flying position once it's already going wrong.
Senni

Post by Senni »

Timing at takeoff matters a lot as well. DSJ4 is fairly realistic in that regard, watch some real jumpers to get a feel for the way a perfect takeoff looks like. Start the downward movement of the mouse BEFORE you reach the takeoff point. Make sure you hit both mouse buttons simultaneously, this is harder than it sounds. Small differences matter. Once you're in the air, you need to rotate the jumper according to the wind situation and the hill characteristics. Rule of thumb: The larger the hill the more aggressive you can be.

Sensitivity is a difficult topic. Generally, you want to go as low as possible, because you need stability while you're in the air. I play with 1.2 on 800 dpi which is pretty high.
Mariusz Paweł

Post by Mariusz Paweł »

Senni wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 15:21 Timing at takeoff matters a lot as well. DSJ4 is fairly realistic in that regard, watch some real jumpers to get a feel for the way a perfect takeoff looks like. Start the downward movement of the mouse BEFORE you reach the takeoff point. Make sure you hit both mouse buttons simultaneously, this is harder than it sounds. Small differences matter. Once you're in the air, you need to rotate the jumper according to the wind situation and the hill characteristics. Rule of thumb: The larger the hill the more aggressive you can be.

Sensitivity is a difficult topic. Generally, you want to go as low as possible, because you need stability while you're in the air. I play with 1.2 on 800 dpi which is pretty high.
I can help you solve some problems on DC - so if you feel like it then invite me - MariuszPaweł#3813, here no one will help you, and reading some comments it's a big bunch of nonsense.
Greetings,
Mariusz Pawel [POL]
Austrian_Skijumpfan_94

Post by Austrian_Skijumpfan_94 »

I mean maybe I am stating the obvious, but have you tried to take off with both mouse buttons :) ?