Ideas for improvements

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ3.
Ats

Post by Ats »

Vid's idea is supreme! I totally agree :D
DSJ4 beta-2 will be released this month! Click here for information:
http://dsj4center.blogspot.com
Last update: 6th March
Vik

Post by Vik »

par example: personal highest rating... btw. mine was 1402!!! :lol:
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Vid wrote:An interesting classification (or record list on Mediamond homepage) would be the (his all time) best rating that each player has achieved during online playing.
This has now been implemented. The peak ratings are tracked from now on at:
http://www.mediamond.fi/dsj3/hillrecord ... ld&list=pr
Olinku

Re: Just a couple of my suggestions

Post by Olinku »

I think, this is an brilliant idea:
Martin Kafka wrote:My "wish-list" currently consists of these things:

1) Spectator mode (in online)
- for example, when you're not in the mood for jumping and just want to chat with others and comment the results

6) A BIG THANK YOU for the official forum.......FINALLY!
and:
I would like to see a online record list - without slow down - because I am sure, that onlinejumping is for a lot of jumpers a totaly different game to "private need 5 minutes for a jump" gambler - and jumpers who never jump with slowdown do not realy have a record list!

and: the 90 % rule - please change it to a "top 15 length - rule" ( in reality the jumpers do not jump over 300m and please take a look what 90 % means in reality... ;) )
alternate; let everybody jump who is better listed than the last qualified fallen jumper...

and: why are there sometimes 40 or 50 in the first jump? I think there should be a steady rule: Always 50 in first round ( Top 15 + 35 best of the rest! ) and 30 in the second round (plus "top 15 length" - rule ;) )

and:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

In the online chat, people generally speak in their own language and I think we should be able to keep doing so. But this generates kind of a messy chat, so I like to use the /ignore-function on people who speak in languages I don't understand. This works fine, but some people might take it as a slight insult when their screen shows "Thomas is ignoring you". I don't ignore people because I don't like them, I just want to make it easier to read the Norwegian part of the chat. Therefore I don't see why people need to get this message when you put them on ignore. Great if you could remove that message, or implement a "silent ignore"-function. (e.g. /signore or /ignores) where there is no message sent to the ignored.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Olinku wrote: and: the 90 % rule - please change it to a "top 15 length - rule" ( in reality the jumpers do not jump over 300m and please take a look what 90 % means in reality... ;) )
alternate; let everybody jump who is better listed than the last qualified fallen jumper...
We are going to stick with the rules from the real ski jumping world cup. The original rule might be silly but that's the way it is.
Olinku wrote: and: why are there sometimes 40 or 50 in the first jump? I think there should be a steady rule: Always 50 in first round ( Top 15 + 35 best of the rest! ) and 30 in the second round (plus "top 15 length" - rule ;) )
and:
If the K-point is less than 185 meters then 50 ski jumpers will qualify, but in the ski flying hills where K-point is 185+ meters only 40 ski jumpers qualify. This rule is applied in the real ski jumping world cup as well.
Olinku

Post by Olinku »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
Olinku wrote: and: the 90 % rule - please change it to a "top 15 length - rule" ( in reality the jumpers do not jump over 300m and please take a look what 90 % means in reality... ;) )
We are going to stick with the rules from the real ski jumping world cup. The original rule might be silly but that's the way it is.
The original rule is more than ok in reality, but here we are in a game...
Do we need to compare a fall statistic in DSJ with a fall statistic in reality? We are in a game - it is easy to take here a higher risk... ;)
...and the effect is, that not everything, which makes in reality sense, will also make sense in a game...
Nevertheless - DSJ is great and you have made a great job!!!
zonaren

Post by zonaren »

im very sure that Jussi will NOT change the rules in DSJ. the rules must be the same as in real ski jumping or else the game will be ruined. if anyone doesnt like it, try the ski jumping game on 123spill.no
Ivelak

Post by Ivelak »

zonaren wrote:im very sure that Jussi will NOT change the rules in DSJ. the rules must be the same as in real ski jumping or else the game will be ruined. if anyone doesnt like it, try the ski jumping game on 123spill.no
Brovo Zonaren! :D
You are right. The game must be as realistic as possible!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Here is a quick summary of the suggestions in this thread. I've left out the ones I don't really burn for.
  • -- General --
  • Customizable wind in training
  • Possibility of disabling all the record lines

-- Spesific to online --
  • Leave and rejoin a cup without losing your WC points.
  • Color those in friends list
  • Click a players name to highlight that player
  • Players not qualified for competition or second round should not have to click the "Ready" button.
  • Spectator mode
  • Highlight longest jump of both rounds
  • Automatically kick, or set status to "Ready", on idle players
  • Separate record list for jumps performed online
  • Put someone on ignore without message of this being sent
Audun

Post by Audun »

Totally agree to all the online ideas, but just have to be carefull so it's not going to be an awfull lot of colors :wink:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Audun wrote:Totally agree to all the online ideas, but just have to be carefull so it's not going to be an awfull lot of colors :wink:
I understand, but it doesn't have to be a lot of colors. The people in your friends list could have one colour, and the ones you highlight could simply be bolded out. The latter could also for the longest jumps in 1st and 2nd round. Of course, for this to look ok, when highlighting someone, only the name should be bolded as opposed to the entire line with nationality, rating, length, etc
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Another small suggestion regarding this forum:

Make a thread in the Announcements section called "Q&A with Jussi". Here people can post all kinds of questions regarding the game. Then you can pick out the questions you would like to answer, copy them over to the first post together with your answer. Then we'd have kind of a datebase with things people tend to ask about. And you might save yourself the trouble of having to answer the same question several times.
Audun

Post by Audun »

Thomas wrote:Another small suggestion regarding this forum:

Make a thread in the Announcements section called "Q&A with Jussi". Here people can post all kinds of questions regarding the game. Then you can pick out the questions you would like to answer, copy them over to the first post together with your answer. Then we'd have kind of a datebase with things people tend to ask about. And you might save yourself the trouble of having to answer the same question several times.
Something like a FAQ? That would be nice, yes :)
Vid

Competition nunber

Post by Vid »

I've got another small but useful idea for the next DSJ version.

In general classification it would be nice to see the column with number of competitions a player has done in whole season (up to 32, of course). This would be nice because it would give a better perspective of players' current form.
Lots of good players enter the season somewhere in the middle of it, but I noticed that they almost inevitably quickly progress rapidly up the season ranking.

If the new DSJ version will include the feature that WC points of one player stay even if he leaves the game (which would be really great and also fair), this idea would fit in even more, though even now you can approximately see how good a player has been in this season by just looking on his/her rating...
Who needs drugs when you've got DSJ??