Weekly rating list idea

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ3.
Vid

Weekly rating list idea

Post by Vid »

I have another idea for rating lists on the Mediamond homepage.

I think the "current online rating" list is pretty useless right now. It was good at the beginning of online playing, but now there are several players on it that have not jumped for a long time or maybe their subscription has run out.
The other thing is that during summer months when number of online players decreased it is much much harder to get 1300+ rating, let alone over 1400 because there are simply not enough players online (even on tournaments).

My idea is, why don't we make something similar to ATP list in tennis, and have rating list based on the current week achievements? It would be very good to monitor other competitors' current form (which of course varies from one week to another, I think that after nine months of online jumping everyone has this experience), not to mention the fact that competitiveness between players would improve - even during months when ski jumping is not so popular.

A simpler but not so intriguing solution would be just to add date next to current rating, as it is featured in "peak rating" list...

Of course there could be even better things associated with this idea - let's say top 3 from each week coloured in special ranking list or that they are given one free subscription day extra or maybe they're just allowed to go to a nearest pub and buy themselves a drink without doping control ... :)

Well, what do you people think? Btw, I am one of those, who also cannot wait to see the next DSJ improved version :wink:

Vid
Who needs drugs when you've got DSJ??
Bernhard Birkeland

Post by Bernhard Birkeland »

I totally agree! Very good Idea! You got my support:)
Hans Gunnar

Post by Hans Gunnar »

Sounds like a very good idea!

Either monthly or weekly ratings.

But I'm pretty sure it would be hard to make it work like the ATP-rankings as they are based on previous competition achievements. Currently DSJ3 does not track this in any way (I think), it only adds or subtracts points from current rating based upon position in your last competition.

However, just clearing the ratings after a week or month of inactivity shouldn't be much of a problem.
TobiasEichenseer

Post by TobiasEichenseer »

I also kike this idea, actually i had it mysel, but then i found your post.
So i hope i get this topic back in mindsif i do a post now.

Furthermore I think now with DSJ 3 1.6.1 it's even more necessary to reset the online ratings. Like Vid already said there are still a lot of inactive players in the rating, but it's hard to get a similar rating. Due to the fact that so many players are inactive and dont play 1.6.1 the online ratingis just not representative.

So a weekly or monthly update would really improve the situation.

So i hope for a change ;)
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

I definately support the idea of a time limit to an inactive 'current rating', that's for sure. I mean, for how long can you call an old rating "current"? :wink: I wote for one month :!:
TobiasEichenseer

well, i would actually say less than a month.
Maybe 1 or 2 weeks... But would already be happy with a monthly updated list.

Or at least an updated list for every new version of Deluxe Skijump. Or a yearly updated version.
Vid

Post by Vid »

So Jussi... your move now...? :wink:
Who needs drugs when you've got DSJ??
Vik

Post by Vik »

my Idea: If someone is inactive two weeks, his rating decreases every day -1 point (par example)... 4 weeks inactive Rating - 14

I hope you understand my idea.... I think this solve the problem...
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Vik wrote:my Idea: If someone is inactive two weeks, his rating decreases every day -1 point (par example)... 4 weeks inactive Rating - 14

I hope you understand my idea.... I think this solve the problem...
This solution doesn't work due to the nature of the elo ratings formula. The system may not leak rating points or otherwise the rating of all players (even the active ones) will be eventually zero.

Consider a case in which a player is active and inactive turn and turn. His real skill doesn't degrade so much during the inactivity periods, so whenever he comes back to play the game, he will be "stealing" rating points quite easily from other players and lose them afterwards (to nobody) during the next inactivity period.

On the other hand, the points that were decreased during the inactivity period cannot be given automatically to active players, because then the amount of active/inactive players would effect the ratings, and the ratings would not be historically comparable.
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

Jussi Koskela wrote:This solution doesn't work due to the nature of the elo ratings formula. The system may not leak rating points or otherwise the rating of all players (even the active ones) will be eventually zero.

Consider a case in which a player is active and inactive turn and turn. His real skill doesn't degrade so much during the inactivity periods, so whenever he comes back to play the game, he will be "stealing" rating points quite easily from other players and lose them afterwards (to nobody) during the next inactivity period.

On the other hand, the points that were decreased during the inactivity period cannot be given automatically to active players, because then the amount of active/inactive players would effect the ratings, and the ratings would not be historically comparable.
Ok, but what with letting a current rating go to an inactive status after a given period of time, like this: The rating dissappears from the 'current rating'-list, but stays 'sleeping' and will be re-activated if the player comes back online?
TobiasEichenseer

Grufugl wrote: Ok, but what with letting a current rating go to an inactive status after a given period of time, like this: The rating dissappears from the 'current rating'-list, but stays 'sleeping' and will be re-activated if the player comes back online?
Yes sounds quite good.

In my opinion the CURRENT rating has to be more current. An active player should stand above an inactive player... As a german I can't say Jens Weißflog is currently the best skijumper if he does'nt jump.

Maybe it's possible to add a new category beside the Current Online Rating. Maybe an Online Rating for month December, then January and so on... So on the one hand you still have the old overview an on the other you could trace back which player was best in the specific month...

Just a kind of idea,i believe there are certainly some more and better. I hope you got what i meant.

Bye, Tobi