Crash Physics

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
Roman Fendt

Crash Physics

Post by Roman Fendt »

i just found some things thzat would be pretty cool if they were improved
1. it would be more realistic if a crashed jumper would slide down the hill with it´s head first (just without skis)
2. another cool feature would be that the skis flap completely down if the jump is pressed too much or massive backwind appears
----->http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,782339,00.jpg
3. and it would be nice if the jumper "opens" the jump or tries to stop it if he will fly too far, by just pressing "land" too early
----->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyCutVh1uXM

would be some cool changes if it will be possible to improve them easily.
thanks
Alex.fau

Re: Crash Physics

Post by Alex.fau »

it would be nice if the skis were not still in a perfect V-position when the jump is completely out of control.
mluki3

Post by mluki3 »

After some falls jumpers are still conscious and, for example they slide down sitting and leaning on hands. In DSJ they always lie after falls ;)
Cody Hann

Post by Cody Hann »

Who cares about how does the landing look?
This game's not supposed to be "realistic".
If you say yes then I'm serious, if you say no then I'm joking.
pajkul

Post by pajkul »

To Cody: It already is very realistic, so you are wrong.
Cody Hann

Post by Cody Hann »

pajkul wrote:To Cody: It already is very realistic, so you are wrong.
Let me think. No.
pajkul

Post by pajkul »

Aha!
pepsiman89

Post by pepsiman89 »

http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0/nerd.jpg
Cody...

Deluxe Ski Jump is supposed to be a simulator. Let me define the word "simulation" for you,

Simulation is the imitation of some real thing, state of affairs, or process. The act of simulating something generally entails representing certain key characteristics or behaviours of a selected physical or abstract system.

If we want to make DSJ4 more realistic then all ideas that are about "what the jumper does in the air when he's out of control" should be thought over and maybe even considered.

I'm not trying to be mean, but it seems to me that everytime an idea comes up you just post meaningless shit about it.
Cody Hann

Post by Cody Hann »

pepsiman89 wrote:http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0/nerd.jpg
Cody...

Deluxe Ski Jump is supposed to be a simulator. Let me define the word "simulation" for you,

Simulation is the imitation of some real thing, state of affairs, or process. The act of simulating something generally entails representing certain key characteristics or behaviours of a selected physical or abstract system.

If we want to make DSJ4 more realistic then all ideas that are about "what the jumper does in the air when he's out of control" should be thought over and maybe even considered.

I'm not trying to be mean, but it seems to me that everytime an idea comes up you just post meaningless shit about it.
In my opinion, all games are unrealistic. Especially this one.
DSJ is a game, not simulator.
pepsiman89

Post by pepsiman89 »

Obvioulsy you didnt read what I said.
A simulation game attempts to replicate various activities in "real life" in the form of a game for various purposes: training, analysis, or prediction.
So if DSJ is replicating ski jumping which is a real life activity then why cant it be considered as a simulation game?
And you also went off-topic. The point of my previous post was to tell you - if you cant make up a constructive post, then dont post at all.

Also,
In my opinion, all games are unrealistic.
Maybe you should take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H237ksXr ... re=related
Dont mind the loading screen at the beggining.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Cody Hann wrote: In my opinion, all games are unrealistic. Especially this one.
DSJ is a game, not simulator.
Which parts of DSJ4 do you consider particularly unrealistic?
pajkul

Post by pajkul »

Cody, you are right at one point: DSJ4 is not as realistic as ski jumping in the real world. So it's unrealistic, cause there's only one level of realism that could be described as 'realistic'. That's ski jumping with real skis on real hill.
Cody Hann

Post by Cody Hann »

You're not getting my point..
My points are:

1.) Giving a game good-looking graphics won't make it "realistic".

2.) Making the game act how it would be in real life (e.g. Deluxe Ski Jump) won't make it ..."realistic" either.

Like pajkul said, only way to experience ski jumping (atleast for now) is to go up there and do the jump.
I don't think any of us is playing this game because they want to improve as a ski jumper.

All in all, this is a game which was made for players to have fun, or if it wasn't, something went wrong.
alexander

Post by alexander »

I think a lot of you have a really obscured view on what realism entails. being realistic and being real are two completely different matters. Deluxe Ski Jump definitely attempts at approximating ski jump and ski hill physics, as well as the calculation of points in a professional ski jump tournament a realistic manner. there's just not two ways about it. that's how it is, and I find it ludicrous for either of you to claim anything remotely otherwise. it's as I were to raise an argument on whether the world is flat or round(-ish).

furthermore, DSJ4 is definitely a game that tries to simulate ski jumping, and thus a combined sports and simulation game, much like for instance the FIFA series is to football.
Cody Hann

Post by Cody Hann »

alexander wrote:I think a lot of you have a really obscured view on what realism entails. being realistic and being real are two completely different matters. Deluxe Ski Jump definitely attempts at approximating ski jump and ski hill physics, as well as the calculation of points in a professional ski jump tournament a realistic manner. there's just not two ways about it. that's how it is, and I find it ludicrous for either of you to claim anything remotely otherwise. it's as I were to raise an argument on whether the world is flat or round(-ish).

furthermore, DSJ4 is definitely a game that tries to simulate ski jumping, and thus a combined sports and simulation game, much like for instance the FIFA series is to football.
I loved how you said "tries"