Ghost Jumper

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
Janik Schneider

Ghost Jumper

Post by Janik Schneider »

hey jussi, what do you think about a ghost jumper, you know, for example in racing-games when you have a very good round you can drive against your ghost, sorry for bad englisch. so in dsj 4 you can jump vs. your best flight. i think it´s a good idea and i hope that i am the first with this suggestion, if not, sorry.
SuperAdo111

Re: Ghost Jumper

Post by SuperAdo111 »

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee idea^ I want it too :)
alexander

Post by alexander »

this would be pretty cool. if it's possible to use the replays or whatever.

then we could enforce replay submission on a top 10 world record. that way we could use the world record as a ghost jumper, and thus have the option of selecting a WR-ghost or a PR-ghost. (and we'd also be more aware of cheaters.)

the ghost jumper should be toggled when you start the jump (i.e. click the mouse).
skiflyer11

Post by skiflyer11 »

Janik Schneider wrote:hey jussi, what do you think about a ghost jumper, you know, for example in racing-games when you have a very good round you can drive against your ghost, sorry for bad englisch. so in dsj 4 you can jump vs. your best flight. i think it´s a good idea and i hope that i am the first with this suggestion, if not, sorry.
as option nice idea :D

That's gotta hurt (sorry Zmaster for that fake ;))
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

This would require double the cpu power (=too much).
alexander

Post by alexander »

how much CPU power does DSJ4 require?
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

alexander wrote:how much CPU power does DSJ4 require?
About 1.5 GHz. Maybe 90% is physics calculation.
Janik Schneider

Post by Janik Schneider »

i´m happy about that my idea is not only good in my opinion :)
Jussi, can´t you manage it this way, that you can turn the ghost jumper on and off and when your cpu power is not
good enough you jump alone^^
i think for beginning, for example in beta 3 you can make, that we can take two replays and watch them as one
--> two different jumpers/jumps in one replay (but only on the same hill)
maybe you can look you personal record togheter with the worldrecord....
alexander

Post by alexander »

Jussi Koskela wrote:About 1.5 GHz. Maybe 90% is physics calculation.
well that's nothing. the ghost jumper would obviously be optional. "everyone" has at least a duo-core 3.0GHz these days, so for us non-laptop users it could be a cool option. but if 90% is physics calculation, why would using the ghost jumper (which essentially is a more advanced way of playing a replay) result in 2x CPU demand?
aslan97

Post by aslan97 »

or like to be able to let go of two replays and compare them together
piter_ski

Post by piter_ski »

Yeah, a kind of replays comparison would be great, somewhen in the future, but it will be probably extremely hard to create, I guess.
Registered Player
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

alexander wrote:
Jussi Koskela wrote:About 1.5 GHz. Maybe 90% is physics calculation.
well that's nothing. the ghost jumper would obviously be optional. "everyone" has at least a duo-core 3.0GHz these days, so for us non-laptop users it could be a cool option. but if 90% is physics calculation, why would using the ghost jumper (which essentially is a more advanced way of playing a replay) result in 2x CPU demand?
The physics must be re-simulated every time that the replay is played. Otherwise the replay files and the memory requirement would be huge.
alexander

Post by alexander »

Jussi Koskela wrote:The physics must be re-simulated every time that the replay is played. Otherwise the replay files and the memory requirement would be huge.
define huge plz. if it's anything "anyone" can afford in 2011 it should be memory.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

alexander wrote:
Jussi Koskela wrote:The physics must be re-simulated every time that the replay is played. Otherwise the replay files and the memory requirement would be huge.
define huge plz. if it's anything "anyone" can afford in 2011 it should be memory.
I haven't done the exact calculation. At least for the replay files it would be too much. Second option would be to precalculate the data before every jump, which would cause ~10 second loading times.
Ascot

Post by Ascot »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
alexander wrote:
I haven't done the exact calculation. At least for the replay files it would be too much. Second option would be to precalculate the data before every jump, which would cause ~10 second loading times.
10 sek. are to long .
I think .