Ideas & suggestions for next beta/full version

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
Kierownik

Re: Ideas & suggestions for next beta/full version

Post by Kierownik »

Some game mechanic changes are really needen in my opinion to refresh the single player experience. It would be useful to be able to edit calendar during already started World Cup. Also custom startlist before each competition is something I personally would like to see. Instead of playing world cup with competitors chosen before the start the ability to choose them before each competition is what I can think of. Possibility of creating custom starting order, removing pre-qualified TOP 10 in World Cup and ability to save the game after qualifying would be also some nice improvements. Last but not least, different equipment for every jumper in Team Cup is something a lot of players are looking forward to since quite some time.
Przemek1986

Post by Przemek1986 »

I have a suggestion for Jussi.

Considering the fact that the users are now making many interesting hills, the problem we all are facing is that "we run out of the space on the desk" when moving the mouse down while in flight.
My idea is, if it'd be possible to introduce a "mouse arrest" option. For example, you start a jump, you are flying and when you see that you have no space on your desk because you almost reached the edge of your desk, you press and hold down the mouse arrest button on the keyboard. At the same time, you quickly move your mouse back to the top of your desk to create some space and then you release the button and you continue flying as before and, if you are jumping on one of those crazy HS800 hills, you can repeat the process later on.

Another idea is the introduction of the secondary mouse sensitivity. This means that it'd be possible to set two mouse sensitivities (one high sensitivity and one low sensitivity) and then use one or the other in flight, according to the need of the moment.
Sometimes you really need to move your mouse a lot because of the wind but sometimes all you need are tiny, fine movements because your position is already perfect at take off and you want to keep it like this. If so, just press a button to trigger the low sensitivity and enjoy a smooth flight. Car racing games have something similar: the faster you drive the less sensitive your controller is.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Yeah, but in racing games you are supposed to go fast, but DSJ4 physics engine doesn't really support jumps longer than 400m, as Gorisek Bros. said.

[11 months of experience later edit] DSJ4 physics allow for even 550+m flights, but the hill profile has to be very specifically tailored for being compatible with DSJ4 physics and settings of F1 camera and the end results aren't to everyone's tastes. The amount of mouse movement is comparable with Vinicunca though.
Last edited by Xinitiao on 06 Oct 2021, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
gtaman

Post by gtaman »

Xinitiao wrote:Yeah, but in racing games you are supposed to go fast, but DSJ4 physics engine doesn't really support jumps longer than 400m, as Gorisek Bros. said.
I mean, longest jump in real life is 254m, you cant excpect realistic physics over 300 and more meters. Also, in most flights over cca 350 its really hard not to crash, specially if you are unable to be steady in air as i am :D
kolo300

Post by kolo300 »

Hello, I have a question whether a different tournament could be added, for example a four-hill tournament or raw air or a world or ski flying championship or an Olympic competition or a full season in general. Best wishes.
Mikolaj L

Post by Mikolaj L »

I guess, I think that useful improvements would be (as also written above):
- possibilty to select players for competitions in WC in single player for each contest (now you choose between small number of competitors or jumping for a long time each competition)
- maybe possibility to make several saves
- changing wind (on demand for example) in single WC - as it was in the first DSJ, (of course points for the wind would be even better, but I understand it would be much more work on that)
- possibility to move the gate like in the training in single WC (with the points deduction/benefit)

Of course there may be done much more, but on purpose I chose the things that (correct me, if Im wrong) should be really/ relatively easy not and not time consuming to implement, but on the other hand would make DSJ much, much more fun. I think even, if there would be a for example 5/10 dollars fee for such actualization (so as it's profitable), a lot of people would buy it.
Kierownik

Post by Kierownik »

Creating custom startlist might be a useful feature. It could work just like creating hills order in World Cup mode. Other ideas for offline modes that could be useful:
-Selecting competitors before each competition
-Different equipment for every jumper in Team Cup
-Removing pre-qualified TOP 10
-Option to cancel qualifying or 2nd round

These are rather simple features to implement in my opinion.
BartiSkiJumper

Post by BartiSkiJumper »

Kierownik wrote:Creating custom startlist might be a useful feature. It could work just like creating hills order in World Cup mode. Other ideas for offline modes that could be useful:
-Selecting competitors before each competition
-Different equipment for every jumper in Team Cup
-Removing pre-qualified TOP 10
-Option to cancel qualifying or 2nd round

These are rather simple features to implement in my opinion.
I personally agree with that, those are good improvements for the future
Bartek Winczaszek:
DSJ3 TL - 7850.57m #1
DSJ4 TL - 3543.26m #6
DSJ4 Online Peak: 1959 #1
TDD 2013-2020: #2 - #3 - #2 - #2 - #1 - #2 - #1 - #1

My YT and Twitch channels: youtube.com/user/BartiSkiJumper - twitch.tv/BartiDSJ
doro89

Post by doro89 »

Hello is 4hill tournament and raw air now in offline worldcup mode?
J.MIRO

Post by J.MIRO »

Here's some of my ideas for next update, most of them affecting offline mode:
- Folders for hills inside game + search engine (very useful with circa 1000 custom hills)
- Folders for replays inside game + search engine
- Optional PQ for qualification
- Optional 4 rounds mode (like in Ski Flying World Championship)
- 3 numbers per bibs, both in Team Cup and World Cup
- Multiple saving mode, both in Team Cup and World Cup (for example "save world cup as world_cup01.sav, world_cup02.sav"
- Custom lines, if it's possible with back compatibility
- Optional masks for jumpers (used till 06/07 season)
Yep, some of them are presented many, many times, but maybe now it's really time to finally introduce them? I think it would make offline game kinda better.. organized and in fact more comfortable to play. I think now it's the time :mrgreen:
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

J.MIRO wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 16:11 - Folders for hills inside game + search engine (very useful with circa 1000 custom hills)
- Folders for replays inside game + search engine
I was inspired by your post and already implemented search tools for hills, ski jumpers, teams and replays. 8)
Folders would require more work, but the search option already makes doing the selections much easier.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

J.MIRO wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 16:11 - Custom lines, if it's possible with back compatibility
Custom lines will be supported in the next update, too.
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Some suggestions to improve end user experience with online game (I may have suggested some of these few years back)

1. Display my current position in a cup. Mainly useful when lot of people playing and I don't finish in top 20 - today I have to scroll down and find myself. When playing KO system I can see my result, so something similar for non KO.
2. Small in-game HUD that displays amount of players on other servers. Perhaps even with possibility to switch games from there. Example: I join online mode, see empty servers so I start some cup alone...nobody joins but I continue, but maybe 5 others players joined some other cup and I could join them but I don't know until I quit my current cup.

Suggestion for Mediamond.fi website - add all statistics and hill records for custom hills. I know we have them in the game and good update coming with search engine , but I'd love to browse this also on the website, like I do for the original 24 hills.
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

it would be nice if we could save the templates of the jumpers suits and then automatically assign them to the next players, because now doing it manually is time-consuming :)
Stworap

Post by Stworap »

Jussi, can you add texture all over the ski?
Thank you in advance for your answer