Just wanted to say thanks for a great game

General discussion about DSJ4.
gombicek

Just wanted to say thanks for a great game

Post by gombicek »

I just wanted to say thanks to the dev for a great game. Tried the demo yesterday and was amazed, so I jumped in (no pun intended) and bought the full version. Still getting used to controls and trying to find good sensitivity/dpi settings and the best camera to use. Also if you have some suggestions for beginner friendly hills. And a quick question, how do you enable ai opponents in the world cup? It is probably really obvious but I seem to be overlooking something. Thanks.
Aleks_124

Re: Just wanted to say thanks for a great game

Post by Aleks_124 »

Nice to hear, DSJ never dead :), anyways, AI opponents is same as CPU, and if you want to jump with them in custom hills, then go to menu dsj, Third Party Hills, and then click Download CPU thing.
gombicek

Post by gombicek »

Thanks:) Yeah that's it. I just didn't realize that I need to download it first . Now to learn how to jump:) To be honest it would be easier if I could just use a gamepad:) Instead of a mouse:)
Aleks_124

Post by Aleks_124 »

gombicek wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 20:59 Thanks:) Yeah that's it. I just didn't realize that I need to download it first . Now to learn how to jump:) To be honest it would be easier if I could just use a gamepad:) Instead of a mouse:)
Good luck playing :mrgreen:
gombicek

Post by gombicek »

thanks again. Although there is one thing I do not fully understand, why the dev chose to lock controls to mouse only, I mean I get it that it was an attempt to make it fair to everyone, but I have a gaming mouse, so I can set the dpi on the mouse very low from 400 DPI to like 6400 DPI and fiddle with the sensitivity, some guy who has a standard mouse has like 800dpi or 1600dpi and can't change it on the fly. So either way it is not fair. So why not allow to use other controllers? Because regardless of a controller it is mainly about the skill when to takeoff and how to land. I kinda get the reason behind it but I think that it would work ok even if you can choose your controls.
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Hello and welcome! Agree game is great...hidden gem.
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
gombicek

Post by gombicek »

Well it is the only one ski jumping simulator:) so by default the best one. I wonder why no one has tried it before. Well except an odd winter olympics game and so on...
Aleks_124

Post by Aleks_124 »

gombicek wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 23:55 Well it is the only one ski jumping simulator:) so by default the best one. I wonder why no one has tried it before. Well except an odd winter olympics game and so on...
Come join DSJ4 online, and then we will see if there is no one ;)
gombicek

Post by gombicek »

I meant no one who tried to make a ski jumping simulator:) you know you have simulators of pretty much everything from garbage trucks to planes, but as for ski jumping there is only this game.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

gombicek wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 23:44 the sensitivity, some guy who has a standard mouse has like 800dpi or 1600dpi and can't change it on the fly. So either way it is not fair. So why not allow to use other controllers? Because regardless of a controller it is mainly about the skill when to takeoff and how to land.
You can change the sensitivity ingame in the players menu iirc :) and imo the main skill to learn in dsj is the flight ;)
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
gombicek

Post by gombicek »

thanks i know;) it is more just trying what vallue is ok. And what i meant in fight well i can change dpi on my mouse itself with a touch of a button so I can have like 400dpi on takeoff and 1600dpi inflight to more precise control. Well technically, in reality you don't have time to switch it.:)
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

gombicek wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 23:44 thanks again. Although there is one thing I do not fully understand, why the dev chose to lock controls to mouse only
I agree that DSJ could be really fun to play with a joystick/controller, but I don't think it would be possible to be competitive with it. DSJ fans are already used to playing with the mouse anyway, and I think Jussi has many other features he would like to work on instead of a little novelty feature that wouldn't really be useful for most people.
sneze2r

Post by sneze2r »

gombicek wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 23:44 thanks again. Although there is one thing I do not fully understand, why the dev chose to lock controls to mouse only, I mean I get it that it was an attempt to make it fair to everyone, but I have a gaming mouse, so I can set the dpi on the mouse very low from 400 DPI to like 6400 DPI and fiddle with the sensitivity, some guy who has a standard mouse has like 800dpi or 1600dpi and can't change it on the fly. So either way it is not fair. So why not allow to use other controllers? Because regardless of a controller it is mainly about the skill when to takeoff and how to land. I kinda get the reason behind it but I think that it would work ok even if you can choose your controls.
It's personal preference but I use 1600dpi + 0.3 in game sensitivity(disable mouse acceleration in windows option!) and I think most players use something around that.

Regarding controls I'm not dev of this game but I guess intention was to use the same, most simplified controls as in previous DSJ versions.

Now when I think about it, if DSJ4 controls would be migrated for VR it would be awesome.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

sneze2r wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 01:22 Now when I think about it, if DSJ4 controls would be migrated for VR it would be awesome.
That would be so awesome!
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Highted

Post by Highted »

I recommend experimenting with different sensitivity levels and camera angles to see what feels most comfortable and natural for you. Personally, I like a slightly lower sensitivity and the "chase cam" for a good balance of control and awareness.
Let's keep the Mediamond spirit alive one pixel at a time!
house of hazards