Ideas & suggestions for next beta/full version

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
Wolf

Re: Ideas & suggestions for next beta/full version

Post by Wolf »

Of course, I proposed the wind edition in the competition only for offline mode - I don't play online and there are a lot of people like me. I will not comment on the online options - this is a topic for online players.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

An element that also MUST be included in the next updates is the current rules and regulations of ski jumping - for many years points have been subtracted/added for wind and the height of the starting beam has been changed. I will also mention the highlighting of the starting beam ...
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Wolf wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 03:58 An element that also MUST be included in the next updates is the current rules and regulations of ski jumping - for many years points have been subtracted/added for wind and the height of the starting beam has been changed. I will also mention the highlighting of the starting beam ...
Different combinations of gate + wind make the CPU player results more unreliable. These features would have to be introduced first in online and we would need lots of new data from the online game to feed the AI.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Couldn't the AI be trained to extrapolate data from fewer jumps? Or maybe it would be easier to make the cpu like in DSJ3? It would solve the problem of needing to get the data from online if the AI could be trained to jump in DSJ4 on all hills by its own. But I dont know if it's feasible with regard to how much work it takes to create it...
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Xinitiao wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 12:25 Couldn't the AI be trained to extrapolate data from fewer jumps? Or maybe it would be easier to make the cpu like in DSJ3? It would solve the problem of needing to get the data from online if the AI could be trained to jump in DSJ4 on all hills by its own. But I dont know if it's feasible with regard to how much work it takes to create it...
The math behind the CPU results is already based on extrapolation of data from a sparse 3D array. Adding yet another variable would make it much more complex and prone to errors due to too little source data.

Real AI for DSJ4 physics is significantly more difficult to implement than for DSJ3 physics. And simulating the results would take longer as the physics are computationally more demanding (like 1 result per second).
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Jussi Koskela wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 13:10
Xinitiao wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 12:25 Couldn't the AI be trained to extrapolate data from fewer jumps? Or maybe it would be easier to make the cpu like in DSJ3? It would solve the problem of needing to get the data from online if the AI could be trained to jump in DSJ4 on all hills by its own. But I dont know if it's feasible with regard to how much work it takes to create it...
The math behind the CPU results is already based on extrapolation of data from a sparse 3D array. Adding yet another variable would make it much more complex and prone to errors due to too little source data.

Real AI for DSJ4 physics is significantly more difficult to implement than for DSJ3 physics. And simulating the results would take longer as the physics are computationally more demanding (like 1 result per second).
Would a combined approach work? I.e. when creating a new hill, letting the AI generate results for a few hours/days, and then extrapolate results from it?

The AI doesn't even need to be 'real', it would just need to generate plausible flight paths on a given profile.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
sneze2r

Post by sneze2r »

Is it possible to use normal maps in game engine? If yes, that would add extra realism.(Would also require to include these for jumper textures)

And probably most normal maps can be generated easily for existing textures.

I once asked about it but cannot find any reply.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

sneze2r wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 01:30 Is it possible to use normal maps in game engine? If yes, that would add extra realism.(Would also require to include these for jumper textures)

And probably most normal maps can be generated easily for existing textures.

I once asked about it but cannot find any reply.
AFAIK, it would require lots of changes since the game is still using DirectX 9 fixed function pipeline for the rendering.
NieGrzegorz

Post by NieGrzegorz »

Would there be added option with the skills of players controlled by us? This would diversify the offline game in terms of our own world cup and could only rely on the rebound power of the jumper.

Maximum skill - 100 would be what it is now.

I might be wrong, but it seems like a simple thing to do for you Jussi and for sure very important in my opinion. ;)
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

I like this idea a lot!
Lurker since 2001
Andrej šunkar

Post by Andrej šunkar »

Hello Mr. Jussi, I have one idea how to make a season so that boys and girls jump in it, one by one of course. As you can see, women's jumps are more and more popular and many people would play with the women's team, and helmets are also available, if not all, but more and more. Now for the idea, I wouldn't change anything about the jumper, because it probably isn't possible and it doesn't make sense, you add a helmet and a face, and the matter is solved, and for jumpers, you add another square, otherwise the first is the same as now, you mark who is competing, and the second you mark that it is of the female gender, that is, if the male wasteland square is empty. Now, on the ski jumps, where there is a gear, I would add a square and where you want women to compete, mark it with a cross, otherwise leave it blank. What do you think of this idea?
kamasop

Post by kamasop »

Mr Jussi😉 my sugetions
- change of the competition time (day/night)
- Raw Air mode (prologue scores count towards your score)
- duet competitions
- ability to choose whether we want to jump in the world cup, in the continental cup, fis cup before the competition (slider with the choice of whether players from the 1/2/3 league can start
- the ability to set calendars with competitions to save (whole season with world cup, 4 hills tournament, national championships, etc.)
- ability to set the height, weight and silhouette of the jumper
J.MIRO

Post by J.MIRO »

Since new version is released, I'm badly missing option which disappeared. Could you Jussi back to an option, where we creating a team and have a possibility to colour each member of the team identically by just one click? It's much easier, because right now I need to colour every single jumper in the team.
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

J.MIRO wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 19:01 Since new version is released, I'm badly missing option which disappeared. Could you Jussi back to an option, where we creating a team and have a possibility to colour each member of the team identically by just one click? It's much easier, because right now I need to colour every single jumper in the team.
Best would be to be able to edit jumpers and teams by text editor. Then you could mass create 700 jumpers in Notepad etc.
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Aleks_124

Post by Aleks_124 »

MikesCZ wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 19:09
J.MIRO wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 19:01 Since new version is released, I'm badly missing option which disappeared. Could you Jussi back to an option, where we creating a team and have a possibility to colour each member of the team identically by just one click? It's much easier, because right now I need to colour every single jumper in the team.
Best would be to be able to edit jumpers and teams by text editor. Then you could mass create 700 jumpers in Notepad etc.
That's timeless - If you want to create jumpers fast, then download this from Tom:
https://github.com/TeeKay18/DSJJumpersG ... .1.0.4.zip