"Wobbly" jumping technique

Discussion about the hill records, jumping techniques and replays.
randomguy

"Wobbly" jumping technique

Post by randomguy »

I came back to DSJ4 after a long break, and the skill level seems to be a lot higher than it used to be. I watched a few record replays to learn to jump better, and all the record jumps have this "wobbly" technique. What I mean is that right after the take off the jumper wobbles back and forth. Here is an example youtu.be /jUJUeju2Ydc?t=10 (remove the space)

How do you do this? In all the record replays the take offs are so identical, no matter who the record holder is, that it's making me suspicious if this is done by some external software? Am I missing something?
aljostrava

Re: "Wobbly" jumping technique

Post by aljostrava »

It's so-called 'gibbon' technique, done with mouse.
You can find a lot od disputes about it here on forum.
he10th3r310

Post by he10th3r310 »

Now I need to tell here, first I thought gibbon can only be done using slowmotion, that's why I was thinking it's a clear sign of cheat, but then someone sent me video of how to do it. Even Jussi thought it probably helps to increase lengths. But I did some research using virtual machine where I saved game state and was able to jump same jump over and over again, I jumped about equal lengths without gibbon and with it. So I actually doubt if it even helps that much, and if it does, it might be just a very tiny amount.

Of course you need to remember that I'm not so good player really -> you would need to get info from someone who really knows how to jump with perfect accuracy
DSJ2 Total Length: 5438,88m
DSJ3 Total Length: 7825,25m
DSJ4 Total Lenght: 3560,25m (offline)

Combined: 16824.38m

I'm a retired player. I won't jump more competitive jumps, but I will anyway support the game future development as I can.
Aleks_124

Post by Aleks_124 »

he10th3r310 wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 16:57 Now I need to tell here, first I thought gibbon can only be done using slowmotion, that's why I was thinking it's a clear sign of cheat, but then someone sent me video of how to do it. Even Jussi thought it probably helps to increase lengths. But I did some research using virtual machine where I saved game state and was able to jump same jump over and over again, I jumped about equal lengths without gibbon and with it. So I actually doubt if it even helps that much, and if it does, it might be just a very tiny amount.

Of course you need to remember that I'm not so good player really -> you would need to get info from someone who really knows how to jump with perfect accuracy
Gibbon doesn't make jump longer. The proof is jump like Manuzieg in PC HS100 and Krash on VDF HS104 :)
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Aleks_124 wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 21:21
Gibbon doesn't make jump longer. The proof is jump like Manuzieg in PC HS100 and Krash on VDF HS104 :)
Why do most of the best players use it? What is the advantage? Is it more easy to jump well with gibbon than without it? I'd like to know the theory behind this. :)
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Aleks_124

Post by Aleks_124 »

MikesCZ wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 10:14
Aleks_124 wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 21:21
Why do most of the best players use it? What is the advantage? Is it more easy to jump well with gibbon than without it? I'd like to know the theory behind this. :)
When you're learning how to jump with gibbon first time, then it is hard. But later it gets more easier. It is the same like jumping with no-gibbon. So I don't see the difference
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Aleks_124 wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 21:21 Gibbon doesn't make jump longer. The proof is jump like Manuzieg in PC HS100 and Krash on VDF HS104 :)
Nah, my jump on PC100 was just some kind of luck with takeoff timing. Exactly the same as Marcin Śliwiński's 2 cm longer jump.

If there are players using that technique, there must be a reason. Like me 10 years ago - when I tried a gibbon by myself and realized that I can do better jumps, I started using it regularly and that's why I arrived on hill records lists to the place where I am currently.

But to be honest, there is bigger problem with gibbon than records - it is called correspondence to real-world physics, but more specifically, the complete lack of it. In real jumps, when someone could try the same kind of movement as we can see on jumps made by players using gibbon, it must be impossible. Reasons can be two - blocking flight system (suppleness of jumper, mostly if we talk about his back, is not enough to make such a moves by his body). But if possible, in normal circumstances, there is a second reason - IRL attempt to make a gibbon like in DSJ4 it is certain ragdoll.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
aljostrava

Post by aljostrava »

Lovro Kos did gibbon yesterday in Garmisch, but just after leaving the gate, not in flight. :lol:
Did anyone notice this?