Ideas & suggestions for the next update

Discussion about custom hills.
LikeTacos

Re: Ideas & suggestions for the next update

Post by LikeTacos »

From suggestions that others already proposed I fully support: Custom twigs on the inrun, custom lines on the dhill, more textures both for ski jump hills construction (pillars, beams etc.) and trees - that would definitely help the real hills to be more realistic, and would allow for even more creativity on fictional objects, y(z) z(y) profiles, more intuitive terrain creating, more intuitive trees location.
LikeTacos

Post by LikeTacos »

Another great idea mentioned before is to add custom materials.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

36. Guardrail and dhill fence profiles

It would be very helpful in creating realistic inrun and dhill shapes in both real and retro hills, especially in the outrun area.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

37. Hillmaker-defined cameras (Done: adjustable judge, audience and start gate camera positions)

I think it would be fantastic to be able to define custom camera position/zoom/angle, so that the hillmaker can put i.e coach stand camera or all tv camera angles that can be set on each hill independently and accessed in-game i.e with ctrl-F##
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

We had a discussion in the commitee and we have following tweaks to the ideas outlined here:

5. possibility to remove judgetower building
We think that possibility of deleting the whole judgetower would be enough and then defining custom position of F7 camera by the hillmaker.
15. Define top of a pillar/railing as a 'terrain' texture
Making a 'terrain' texture would be more universal, no need to restrict it to just pillar tops.
30. Possibility to define custom points/meter parameter
We had a closer look at Harrachov K180 and there is also a problem of jumping at K-point giving only 60meterpts instead of 120, so we propose metervalue, basevalue and hillcategory parameters.
18. Special lettersin <label>
Latin-extended letters for labels would be nice, although this is low priority.
22. Define visibility of elements based on snowiness
We propose snow_visible and summer_visible true/false parameters.
38. Defining the U point
Defining the position of judges'/fall line (just the drawn/twig line) would be nice, although low priority too.
39. Defining the end of plastic
Also low priority.

We also came to the conclusion that the following suggestions are not necessary:

Code: Select all

23. summer snow dhill
24. plastic textures
26. dhill lights color bug fix
35. realistic glass effects
37. custom cameras
Lurker since 2001
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

sneze2r wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 14:20 [*] possibility to make more custom lines
We would love to see "scale" for twigs too :)
Lurker since 2001
LikeTacos

Post by LikeTacos »

Xinitiao wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 20:00
We also came to the conclusion that the following suggestions are not necessary:

This is my idea I suggested and no clue why it even ended up on the list of unnecessary suggestion when it's something that I proposed. I'm building several objects that has a lot of glass constructions on it and I wanna see improvements on glass having more realistic effects. It's very necessary for me :) I'd gladly see you remove my idea from ur unnecessary (cough) list of unnecessary suggestions :) Thanks.
LikeTacos

Post by LikeTacos »

baaeschiller23 wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 00:09 s

29. Step-Y and Step-Z for pillars

Pillars can be repeated using attributes step and count, but it only applies to X axis. Sometimes we want to copy same pillars in Y or Z axes.

W.A., wojtekschiller3, Xinitiao
Unnecessary. Just use beamgroups. Have a nice day :)
Patryk Szajer

Post by Patryk Szajer »

LikeTacos wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 21:18

This is my idea I suggested and no clue why it even ended up on the list of unnecessary suggestion when it's something that I proposed. I'm building several objects that has a lot of glass constructions on it and I wanna see improvements on glass having more realistic effects. It's very necessary for me :) I'd gladly see you remove my idea from ur unnecessary (cough) list of unnecessary suggestions :) Thanks.
Better glass effects are yet be reviewed by Jussi. What Xiniatao said was committee general opinion, we need to wait for confirmation.

Have a nice day

P.S It's also connected to the point 4 about materials, witch is under consideration by Jussi as seen in post #2
LikeTacos

Post by LikeTacos »

Patryk Szajer wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 21:41

What Xiniatao said was committee general opinion
Are you saying that I don't belong to the commitee? :D Or that my opinion is irrelevant? :D Either way, it's not nice of both of you. :)
Moreover, I did hit up several different hillmakers and none of them shared the opinion that my suggestion about improving glass elements is unnecessary. :)
So, yet again, i gently ask both of you to stop saying that my suggestion is unnecessary and remove it from your unnecessary list. Thanks :)
Have a nice day
Patryk Szajer

Post by Patryk Szajer »

LikeTacos wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 21:30
Patryk Szajer wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 21:41

What Xiniatao said was committee general opinion
Are you saying that I don't belong to the commitee? :D Or that my opinion is irrelevant? :D Either way, it's not nice of both of you. :)
Moreover, I did hit up several different hillmakers and none of them shared the opinion that my suggestion about improving glass elements is unnecessary. :)
So, yet again, i gently ask both of you to stop saying that my suggestion is unnecessary and remove it from your unnecessary list. Thanks :)
Have a nice day
Firstly, yes you are no longer part of the commitee. Secondly, just because it's your suggestion or you have differente opinion about where it is/or should be on the list at the moment doesn't empower you to demand that we do something about its current position on it. We took your opinion in consideration durring voting and we are still gathering opinions from multiple hill makers about it, so it can change any time. As it stands now it will stay where it is. Also if you would read my PS that I put below the post you would realize that it ties with other suggestion that is under concideration by Jussi. We are saying it is unnecessary for Jussi to manually define new materials when it's a possibility you might be able to do it in xml yourself.

Have a nice day
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

2, 6, 7, 9, 18, 34 (dhill) + this implemented so far.
I also improved the triangulation between terrain and downhill, so that there won't be gaps if you remove the ad fence and the terrain won't flicker at the end of outrun. More to come.

Edit: 13 fixed, too.
LikeTacos

Post by LikeTacos »

Jussi Koskela wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 17:22 2, 6, 7, 9, 18, 34 (dhill) + this implemented so far.
I also improved the triangulation between terrain and downhill, so that there won't be gaps if you remove the ad fence and the terrain won't flicker at the end of outrun. More to come.
Awesome! :D Thanks for keeping us informed.
sneze2r

Post by sneze2r »

Regarding 4.(custom materials) will it be possible? According to this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... /materials it seems like it's possible to do it like this from xml side

<material id="custom">
    <diffuse r="1" g="1" b="1" a=".5"/>
    <specular r=".3" g=".3" b=".3" a="1"/>
    <ambient r=".7" g=".7" b=".7" a="1"/>
    <emmisive r="0" g="0" b="0" a="0"/>
    <power=".2"/>
</material>
It would be nice if doable. If some of the existing materials have more complex material settings(i.e. specular dependent on different vector like object normal) then I guess it's not possible. But I think it's worth to at least tweak around and check if results are promising to acheive something new and well looking
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

sneze2r wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 23:32 Regarding 4.(custom materials) will it be possible? According to this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... /materials it seems like it's possible to do it like this from xml side

<material id="custom">
    <diffuse r="1" g="1" b="1" a=".5"/>
    <specular r=".3" g=".3" b=".3" a="1"/>
    <ambient r=".7" g=".7" b=".7" a="1"/>
    <emmisive r="0" g="0" b="0" a="0"/>
    <power=".2"/>
</material>
It would be nice if doable. If some of the existing materials have more complex material settings(i.e. specular dependent on different vector like object normal) then I guess it's not possible. But I think it's worth to at least tweak around and check if results are promising to acheive something new and well looking
I am planning to add possibility to embed custom materials to hill files. The current external format looks like this:

<material>
    <diffuse a="1.0" b="1.0" g="1.0" r="1.0"/>
    <ambient a="1.0" b="1.0" g="1.0" r="1.0"/>
    <emissive a="1.0" b="0.0" g="0.0" r="0.0"/>
    <specular a="0.0" b="0.0" g="0.0" r="0.0" p="0.0"/>
</material>