Klepino Białogardzkie - Custom Complex

Discussion about custom hills.
wesolbrd

Klepino Białogardzkie - Custom Complex

Post by wesolbrd »

Hello,
Check out my first hill's!
We have a three-hill complex here:

Klepino białogardzkie HS67 - Jumps over 70 is very difficult.
mediafire.com/file/hq99cm7ffrh6j3n/Klepino_Bia%25C5%2582ogardzkie-HS67-POL.xml/file

Klępino białogardzkie HS119 - long hill, where you can jump above 125 easy.
mediafire.com/file/r8kmtnj4i9roiyc/Klepino_Bia%25C5%2582ogardzkie-HS119-POL.xml/file

Klępino białogardzkie HS260 - My favorite, low flight after take off and then flight above 270m!
mediafire.com/file/kmcaak4vmzzhnfd/Klepino_Bia%25C5%2582ogardzkie-HS260-POL.xml/file

ENJOY!

Please write if you like it ... or not ! :D
Licho

Re: Klepino Białogardzkie - Custom Complex

Post by Licho »

nie no skocznie ładne i wogle wszystko, ale wydaje mi się, że na tych dwóch mniejszych skoczniach a zwłaszcza na tej najmniejszej za długie jest te wypłaszczenie do progu, bo na tej średniej jeszcze ujdzie w tłoku.. GRATULUJE !! GOOD JOOB!!
wa_

Re: Klepino Białogardzkie - Custom Complex

Post by wa_ »

Hi, I took a look and had some jumps on your own hills. I recommend to post some screenshots of your hills to bring more attention :)

Let's start from the lowest one (HS67):

This downhill is way too big compared to the desired size (67 meters). Jumpers landing on the knoll is not the best or safest idea. Additionally, this hill is very prone to slide bugs - I managed to land a 98m jump starting from default gate for strong, back wind (*). Here's how you can make the hill more realistic and pleasant to play:
  • You should make your knoll easier to pass by players! Try to lower h and n parameters of dhill profile. Currently, their values are OK, but for large hills. I recommend checking how other custom DSJ4 hills with similar sizes are designed in terms of landing zone profile. Once you shorten the knoll, you would have to increase value of l1 to make landing zone longer.
  • The landing slope is quite wide, you can easily make it narrower if you want by changing parameters b0, bk and ba.
  • Takeoff feels quite long, try to reduce parameter t of inrun profile at least by 1-2 meters.
HS119 is quite similar to the smallest one. Thankfully, you don't have to land on knoll, however, jumps are still too short compared to the size of downhill. I landed 144m with slide bug! For this hill I see two options:
  • Make the inrun longer and increase K and HS to 130/150
  • Or make the entire downhill smaller and shorten the inrun length, with keeping K and HS untouched
Also, takeoff length seems to be too high (as on the previous hill).

HS260 is the best hill of the complex in terms of flight trajectory, mainly because the jump profile looks more realistic. Maybe it would be nice to allow higher inrun speeds for lower startgates, 92 km/h feels pretty slow for HS260 hill.

You should remove lines and numbers for >280 meters, I doubt they're needed :)

Speaking of inrun constructions... it definitely needs more work. You copied some elements from existing hills which is good if you want to discover some features and techniques, but always remember to be creative when designing inrun elements and showcasing them to other people! Try to add some stairs, safety barriers, platforms on your own. Ask questions to yourself: "How the jumpers are gonna climb the inrun tower to make a jump?", "How high should be the barrier so people can safely walk the staircase?", "How big should be the pillar to make tower construction stable?" etc. Browse photos of existing hills on the Internet for a reference (I recommend Google Maps and Skisprungschanzen.com). Take a closer look at some DSJ hills (official hills can be a good start). It may take a lot of time, but this should really help you with your hills.

I hope this will help you with these and your future hills.

(*) It's not bad for hill if it allows to make slide bugs, but sliding almost 150% of HS is insane :)