DSJ 2 Question

General discussion about the PC version of DSJ2.

Would you like DSJ 2 to be re-released for Win xp/7?

Poll ended at 30 Nov 2013, 12:12

Yes!!!
92%
No, ( I would rather buy an old computer to play DSJ 2)
8%

Total votes: 12

Howi

DSJ 2 Question

Post by Howi »

Jussi Koskela, could it be possible if someone give you full support moneywise, for you to re-release DSJ 2?
All hills will be the same, just that the graphic could be up to dsj 3 quality. Then we dont need to use Dosbox. I think there is many people out there that would like to play DSJ 2 again and will support you with money if you are making it.
New hiscore etc.
I dont think it would take too much time.

What do you think Jussi? What is hindering you from doing it?
Any feedback from players?

Thank you
Last edited by Howi on 31 Oct 2013, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Bartek Palewicz

Re: DSJ 2 Question

Post by Bartek Palewicz »

Like a remake supporting Win7/8? Hell yeah!
Howi

Post by Howi »

Bartek Palewicz wrote:Like a remake supporting Win7/8? Hell yeah!
Yes! That is what I was thinking of
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

This would require a complete rewrite (=significant amount of work). I wrote the original in Turbo Pascal and didn't know much about programming back then, so the source code is a total mess.
Howi

Post by Howi »

Jussi Koskela wrote:This would require a complete rewrite (=significant amount of work). I wrote the original in Turbo Pascal and didn't know much about programming back then, so the source code is a total mess.
Yes, I know it would be a lot of work, but I KNOW there is a lot of people out there that are willing to pay for the game and for support for you to finish the job. I would rather have the opportunity to play DSJ 2 on my computer then more hills on DSJ 4! I think there is many people with the same mind out here.
You know more about programming now as well.

It would be well worth waiting for! The game could stay the same, just that it will work on win xp/7. Good for those that are not so good with DOSbox or have a computer that is not working well with that.

There is something special about this DSJ2 game. It has a soul! It`s simple, fun, easy, but still hard to master.

So, how much time do you think you have to work with this if it could be a reality?
And do you need moneysupport to do it?
I can easily waith 1-3 or even more years for such a good game! It is almost like a part of me. I have played it since it came out, but havent played it these last years because it dosnt work on my pc. I feel I get emotional here, because I have so many good memories of that game!
My childhood would not be the same without this game.

Anyway, Thank you!
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

It's quite difficult to estimate the amount of work required but I guess that it would be at least 50% of the original work. You can then roughly estimate that 50% of the people who bought the game originally would have to buy the game again for a full price, so that it would be any reasonable for me to work on this. I can't see that happening.
Howi

Post by Howi »

Jussi Koskela wrote:It's quite difficult to estimate the amount of work required but I guess that it would be at least 50% of the original work. You can then roughly estimate that 50% of the people who bought the game originally would have to buy the game again for a full price, so that it would be any reasonable for me to work on this. I can't see that happening.

If it is all about money, then I can suggest a supportline where we can donate some money. Also, you can include online mode to make it even more attractive. At least I will gladly pay 10-20 EUR for this game! Anyway, money is not everything in life. Think more about all the joy that this game will make, interest for the sport etc..
50 % of the original work would be?
davisp

Post by davisp »

There are some Dos-Box settings just for DSJ2 out there. Which made it work for me perfectly, when it was poor with normal settings. But after my Laptop crashed, I don't have them anymore. But I think you can find them if you search for it. Even on this forum are config tips.
World Record Holder for 5 minutes
Howi

Post by Howi »

davisp wrote:There are some Dos-Box settings just for DSJ2 out there. Which made it work for me perfectly, when it was poor with normal settings. But after my Laptop crashed, I don't have them anymore. But I think you can find them if you search for it. Even on this forum are config tips.
Ok. If you find them, please let me know. Im not so good with dosbox.
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Howi wrote: Ok. If you find them, please let me know. Im not so good with dosbox.
Detailed DOSBox instructions for DSJ2 seem to be in the fift thread of this subforum: http://www.mediamond.fi/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=778.
akkarbelling

Post by akkarbelling »

Howi wrote:
Jussi Koskela wrote:It's quite difficult to estimate the amount of work required but I guess that it would be at least 50% of the original work. You can then roughly estimate that 50% of the people who bought the game originally would have to buy the game again for a full price, so that it would be any reasonable for me to work on this. I can't see that happening.

If it is all about money, then I can suggest a supportline where we can donate some money. Also, you can include online mode to make it even more attractive. At least I will gladly pay 10-20 EUR for this game! Anyway, money is not everything in life. Think more about all the joy that this game will make, interest for the sport etc..
50 % of the original work would be?
All about the money, you do understand that this is a large amount of work? Jussi probably has a life besides releasing ski jumping games. And what is the logic in creating a new version of a 12 year old game, when DSJ 4 is much better?
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I don't think a new version is necessary - DSJ works just fine with emulators. (I mostly play retro games anyway, so I'm experienced with D-Fend. Btw, using a frontend program (such as D-Fend or D-Fend Reloaded) is much more comfortable than using "raw" DOSBox.
Howi

Post by Howi »

Nowhere Girl wrote:I don't think a new version is necessary - DSJ works just fine with emulators. (I mostly play retro games anyway, so I'm experienced with D-Fend. Btw, using a frontend program (such as D-Fend or D-Fend Reloaded) is much more comfortable than using "raw" DOSBox.
Well, not everyone is experienced with dosbox, d-fend or whatever. But I will try

edit: the game is sooo slow
please help
akkarbelling

Post by akkarbelling »

Howi wrote:
Nowhere Girl wrote:I don't think a new version is necessary - DSJ works just fine with emulators. (I mostly play retro games anyway, so I'm experienced with D-Fend. Btw, using a frontend program (such as D-Fend or D-Fend Reloaded) is much more comfortable than using "raw" DOSBox.
Well, not everyone is experienced with dosbox, d-fend or whatever. But I will try

edit: the game is sooo slow
please help
You can adjust the speed of the emulator in Dosbox. It has been quite a few years since I used Dosbox so I don't remember quite how to. Try to take a look in the Dosbox manual
akkarbelling

Post by akkarbelling »