Adds in next DSJ

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ3.
mis

Post by mis »

My suggestions for minor adds in DSJ 4, some have been mentioned earlier as well.

1. Would be nice if more than only the longest jump would be highlighted (maybe 3 best with different colors)

2. Indication if you are qualified to 2nd round by the 95% rule, now only indicated after q round.

3. Occasionally I actually forget to look what hill I am jumping in :lol: (sounds ridiculous but is true). In DSJ3 it is not visible anywhere during the inrun what hill you are jumping in if you miss the introduction or forget to look at the flag or the upper left corner before you press the button. A small print or flag in a corner(BIH,ARG..) during the entire jump would be helpful in these cases.

4. A save button after the jump if you feel like saving it, the Ctrl+R is of course working as well but this way it would be faster. The saved jump could also be automatically named f.ex. ARG 24-03-2010 251,17. 222,50pts . This or a similar add would be appreciated for those competing in offline competitions.
EgyLynx

Post by EgyLynx »

i want more to tops... example 20 to old 10 and choose "allow than same player more than one lenght"...
...Selection in progress...
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

I agree with all mis' suggestions. Actually I too forget from time to time which hill I'm jumping :lol:
EgyLynx

Post by EgyLynx »

well... why you need know it... only what is record or this hills top ten in your machine...

anyway...

differents more... please...
...Selection in progress...
Jose_Bach

Post by Jose_Bach »

It would be nice if in DSJ4 was in World Cup for example 50 CPU players, and theirs skills would be taken from real life's jumpers points in the end of season (now Simon Ammann best, Gregor Schlierenzauer then etc.). Players could be updated after the end of every season. And there could be for example 10 difficulty levels to choose, which affects to every jumper's skills.
Petri Kähkönen
My YouTube-channel (piano videos, for example my own compositions, arrangements etc.): http://www.youtube.com/user/BachJose -
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Jose_Bach wrote:It would be nice if in DSJ4 was in World Cup for example 50 CPU players, and theirs skills would be taken from real life's jumpers points in the end of season (now Simon Ammann best, Gregor Schlierenzauer then etc.). Players could be updated after the end of every season. And there could be for example 10 difficulty levels to choose, which affects to every jumper's skills.
I can't use the names of the real ski jumpers without licenses.
Jose_Bach

Post by Jose_Bach »

Maybe then do jumpers skills according to real jumper's points at the end of season, but not real names. Everybody can then rename them. :)
Petri Kähkönen
My YouTube-channel (piano videos, for example my own compositions, arrangements etc.): http://www.youtube.com/user/BachJose -
TPo

Post by TPo »

Please make the game automatically save a record replay, so we can spot a possible bug.
I dont want cheaters to take over the records again :?
sandvik

Post by sandvik »

In certant games you can choose premade skins for cars etc.
You could also modify them with decals etc. etc

What if there was some sorts of premade jumpers where their suits, helmet, skiis etc would be premade or maybe we could customice this in f.eks. photoshop er something like that.

Then we could add our own sponsordecals to the jumpers or something like that.

Skijumpers has many different design on their jumpsuits and this would be a nice fix for an upcoming version of DSJ.

Today feks. a jumpers helmet or skii is in just one colour
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

I finally found some minutes to post my thoughts on what might be cool for DSJ4 ... 8)

- career mode:
Most sports games these days come with careers - because they're fun! In a career mode, the equipment of all the jumpers will play a role. There will be prize money and this how can buy better equipment. If you crash, the equipment will get damaged and needs to be repaired. The equipment will have an influence on the game physics (inrun speed, air). Also, the jumper ages and will need enough condition for the whole season. In order to prepare for a whole season, he has to buy training lessons. The jumper can also get sponsors to pay for equipment, training, travel costs and stuff. Also, the jumper will start off in FIS Cup ("DSJ Cup", since Jussi will have to do without licenses), then move on to "DSJ Intercontinental Cup" and finally "DSJ World Cup" - if his performance is good enough to qualify for his nation. During competitions, the jumper can choose to attend two training jumps or skip them. The more jumps during a competition, the more he loses condition if his training wasn't good enough during summer.
These are just some first thoughts on a career mode. I think, you could easily add to the list ... but these are probably the most interesting points.

- Team mode online:
I've suggested this before for DSJ3. There should be a possibility that 4 players can join together in a team and take part in team competitions. Maybe these team cups shouldn't always include all the hills since some teams might not have all 4 players online for an hour. But one thing is important: The teams shouldn't be randomized. This would be just the same crap as with games like Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 or Left 4 Dead where you would end up with total strangers. 4 players that WANT to play together as a team should also be able to do so. Maybe there could be two team modes for online play: One with fixed teams (started by a team captain who invites the other 3 players) and one with randomized teams.

- Inrun gates - FINALLY!!!
I understand that Jussi tweaked the inrun speed by having the wind have an impact on the jumper's inrun speed. DSJ is known for its realism, so DSJ4 should finally change from this unrealistic solution to a new solution. In practice, you can freely choose the inrun gate - good luck, have fun. During competitions, a computer jury will determine the inrun gate depending on the wind.

- Wind and Gate rules:
Well, since the real rules changed, DSJ should also respect that change. The tricky part here for Jussi is to find a point system for wind and gate that isn't more unfair than the real one. :wink: The wind should only be measured while the jumper is in the air and tailwind right at take-off should be rated in a positive way (for the gained speed) just like headwind from any point onwards. In reality, they would rate tailwind right at take-off as a negative thing, which is stupid. Oh, and once the jumper lands, the wind will not be rated anymore. There's no use for the jumper if he's alreay downhilling and has 4 m/s headwind ...

- Online mode, trial round:
All real competitions have trial rounds. The online mode should have an extra trial jump so that everyone can get used to a new hill BEFORE the qualification jump. This doesn't need to prolong the competitions for too much since there would be no "CLICK READY DAMNIT" break between trial round and qualification. Both jumps would be done consequently.

- Online mode, free jumps for players that didn't make it to the next round:
If a player fails to qualify for the 1st or 2nd round, he should a free training jump anyway. This is better than staring at the results. Also, if a player misses one or two qualifications, it's hard to finally get going since you never get into a "jumping rhythm".

- Online career mode:
Okay, what is this? This should be a mode where you need to buy extra equipment, just like in single player careere mode. In this online career mode, there will be no online rating. Instead, you collect the points you get for your results and level up. With each new level, you gain access to a new, improved item. Since this could result in a big disadvantage for non-regular players, there should be different rooms for this career mode. For example: a room with max level 5, then with max level 10 and so on.

- Jumper control:
In DSJ3, the jumper sometimes gets twisted sideways in the air. I already tried steering sideways in 3rd person cam view, but you really can't do that. This is quite annoying since in real skijumping, you would be able to correct that. There should also be a way to correct this. Actually, I think that the keyboard could come in play here. Keys A and D would come to mind. Mabye Jussi could add a small box in the top-right corner of the screen like in EPYX Winter Games to show the jumper from behind. This way, you could see when he's twisted and correct this. Now Jussi might say "This only happens when you don't take-off with both mouse buttons hit simultanously" - well, that would only affect the direction of the jump, really. Zauner is a good example for someone who jumps off more with his left foot, Koch would tend to jump off more with his right foot. So they fly to the opposite side of the landing hill. But it doesn't mean that they twist and turn in the air like crazy. This is only something that should be the case when there is strong wind from the side - and then you need to correct this with A and D or you might even be in danger of falling from the sky like Morgenstern in Kuusamo a few years back.

EDIT:
One more thing:
Make the calculation of the CPU jumpers' jumps as fast as in DSJ2 again, please! It's no fun to play a single player world cup with 60 or 70 CPU players when the calculation takes as much time as it would on the good old Commodore 64 ... :roll:
Last edited by EyTschej on 30 Mar 2010, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog
Jan Šterba

Post by Jan Šterba »

Great suggestions, EyTschej, I like them all except the online career mode, which I think is useless.
Roman Fendt

Post by Roman Fendt »

yeah the 0.5 m idea is bullsh** in total lenght it could cause a difference up to 15 meters or even more. but i like the ideas of getting the player more flexible (mainly while crashing) and even the skis a bit flexible.
and it would be great if it would not be possible to press the jump too much (for example slovenia) if somebody does that ,the skis should flap down like in real.
but I think jussi will do the right things to make Dsj4 even more fantastic than dsj3.
and don´t forget, if somebody wats to ga realistiv he should buy gta or something like that. it is unrealistic, but I think thats the reason why we love this game.
and k350 would be f***ing nice... :!: :!:
Roman Fendt

Post by Roman Fendt »

...and doubleeffect you are not right, the size of a hill doesn´t depend that much on the inrun speed but on the way this hill is constructed.if the landing area is very steep you don´t need much speed to jump long. anyway you can´t run 150 km/h with real jumping skis, you would run out of the inrun track.
but in some kind of way you are right, the real inrun speed on a K90 hill is even about 87-90 km/h. I think that should be improved...
Jose_Bach

Post by Jose_Bach »

I don't know if this is said already before, but it would be comfortable if game exported online tournaments results straightly to Mediamond.fi and Database in DSJ4.
Petri Kähkönen
Roman Fendt

Post by Roman Fendt »

Another thing I noticed is the corners of the jumper while inrun and takeoff, this could be easily improved I think so...
Please get the pictures, otherwise you won´t understand it...
http://rapidshare.com/files/374246465/D ... 8.bmp.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/374247016/D ... 4.bmp.html