Adds in next DSJ

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ3.
martom

Post by martom »

An idea to DSJ 4:

Takeoff-strength (from 0-100%) to non-CPU-jumpers (the jumpers we jump ourself).
That would make offline playing more exciting.
BODI

Post by BODI »

TPo wrote:
martom wrote:
TPo wrote:This is quite pointless, as everyone has the same wind in online.
But in offline mode it plays a matter
This would mess up offline tournaments. IMO luck is good as a part of the game.
In online jumps wind changes different from one player to another,specially if you wait up to 10 seconds.Just starting speed is equal.
In offline tournaments this would mean a crucial change.
Because Jussi follows FIS rules,this change woud be no more than logical.
And in the end,this formula is not ideal,it is only more fair to all players...
Get movin´ ;)
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

Because Jussi follows FIS rules,this change woud be no more than logical.
And in the end,this formula is not ideal,it is only more fair to all players...
Have you ever looked at rules how 1 meter is pointed on hills, say, K-50? The game doesn't follow FIS rules in this respect. I don't care in this matter. But fixing wind is a must. Just look now how competitions are held. 2 m/s is a hurricane in real life. And in DSJ3 I more often get bad wind in my back like 4 m/s than anything good.

Somebody mod it because I want my true old records back which installation of v1.7 erased. And that bug with wind was present in until 1.5 I guess, so it's unfair.
DSJ3 Personal best: 314.0m (Slovenia)
DSJ4 Personal best: 196.5m (Planica) (what a great jump that was!...)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

doubleffect wrote: Have you ever looked at rules how 1 meter is pointed on hills, say, K-50? The game doesn't follow FIS rules in this respect. I don't care in this matter. But fixing wind is a must. Just look now how competitions are held. 2 m/s is a hurricane in real life. And in DSJ3 I more often get bad wind in my back like 4 m/s than anything good.

Somebody mod it because I want my true old records back which installation of v1.7 erased. And that bug with wind was present in until 1.5 I guess, so it's unfair.
Actually the meter values are exactly the same ones as stated by the FIS rules. The winds will be more moderate and more stable in DSJ4. In DSJ3 the winds have always been the same.
EgyLynx

thinks

Post by EgyLynx »

These are my thinks.

First (if yours look at fis-ski.com skijumpin live or bertuluci.com live then your know maybe what i think)
Previus:
Current:
next:

second: player(s) can choos : chooses, lasten, randomoly,none, all cpu jumps at see.

tree : Faceoff skill, flying skill, landing and constitute.
four: career(?) (reg)

5 : comments of coach? (reg)

6: commentator? (reg)

7: shared version only 2 players an up to 50 hills cup.
(8: some "deluxe ski jump 2/3 reg persons desinged" hills.)
9. top twenty, and world top twenty (World/nation lists)
...Selection in progress...
twominutewarning

Post by twominutewarning »

Hello. I am begginer user of DSJ3 [non registered version yet]. I read here about scoring system in DSJ3, that counts [for example] 100,99m as 100,5, and 101,00m as normal 101 metres.

I have a suggestion that maybe change or set the counting system between 0,25 and 0,75 metres? It could be rounded up to 0,5 metres between 0,26 and 0,75 metres, and rounded up to 0,0 metres bewteen 0,76 metres and 1,25 meters?

Look, when jumper jumps for example 100,24m then 0,24 is "closer 100,00 than 0,5 metres. the same when the result is 100,77, then 0,77 is closer to 101,00 metres. than 0,74m.

The main programmer can choose where set the dividing point [0,25 and 0,75 points or 0,26 and 0,75 or 0,25 and 0,74 - I suggest that ever result between those 2 points includins itselves count to 0,5 metres].
Greetings:
Lawrence
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

I agree it's a weird solution. One jumper jumps 99.99m and the other one jumps 100.00m. This is just 1 centimeter for God's sake and in result the first jumper gets his jump as 99.5m and the second one obviously 100.0m. On a normal hill it's 1 point and they actually had "the same length".

Wind matter simply must be solved. I often use 30 jumpers and I jump as each one. The very worst one gets "+4 m/s" and the very best one gets "-4 m/s" sometimes. This is just stupid. Even on small hills this plays a giant role and not to mention Slovenia, Croatia or Iceland (100 meters difference sometimes...). Anyway such a strong wind (never mind the direction) in real life means competition is canceled. I know physics in current DSJ is as is and you can't really beat records without wind exceeding at least 2 m/s. It's just a thought for the next release. For real jumpers 1 m/s is just great.

I don't know what solution will be in next DSJ. If there is no solution because the same physics has been implemented, then add an option like "lock wind". Then all jumpers have same chance to get a good result. Changeable wind to such an extent is the weakest part of DSJ at the moment in my opinion. And I don't agree if in on-line tournaments (I don't take part and I don't plan to) wind is the same for everyone then it doesn't matter for players who jump only off-line. I like playing DSJ but it's not my life.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

doubleffect wrote:I agree it's a weird solution. One jumper jumps 99.99m and the other one jumps 100.00m. This is just 1 centimeter for God's sake and in result the first jumper gets his jump as 99.5m and the second one obviously 100.0m. On a normal hill it's 1 point and they actually had "the same length".
This is exactly what happens in real ski jumping as well. There has to be certain point where one centimeter gives you additional 0,5 meters when rounded.
Last edited by Jussi Koskela on 12 Feb 2010, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

doubleffect wrote: I don't know what solution will be in next DSJ. If there is no solution because the same physics has been implemented, then add an option like "lock wind". Then all jumpers have same chance to get a good result.
The physics will be all new.
martom

Post by martom »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
doubleffect wrote:I agree it's a weird solution. One jumper jumps 99.99m and the other one jumps 100.00m. This is just 1 centimeter for God's sake and in result the first jumper gets his jump as 99.5m and the second one obviously 100.0m. On a normal hill it's 1 point and they actually had "the same length".
This is exactly what happens in real ski jumping as well. There has to be certain point where one centimeter gives you additional 0,5 meters when rounded.
99.99 m -> 100.00 m = 0.01 m
99.74 m -> 99.75 m = 0.01 m
Basadoni

Ideas for the new DSJ

Post by Basadoni »

Hi Guys,

i have nice ideas for the new DSJ, too. (i think:-))
Maybe some of them has been posted already.

- Different jumping techniques

I hope there will be optionally the possibility to change the jumping style. In real life every jumper has its own style and it will be a nice gimmick if a player can choose between 4 or 5. They don`t have to differ much from each other, it would be a nice optical alternation. (Perhaps one style is more for flying, the other more for jumping or so)

- A tv-repetition

its only a little something, but a nice thing. I often look the repetition after a good jump, it would be very nice if the repetition would be in tv-style.

1-close up to jumper (flash of the name/land/results 1.round/personal hillrecord...)
2-zoom out when jumper in inrun
3- zoom in when jumper jumps off
4-zoom out more and more till jumper lands
5-close up to jumper with flash of jumping result

- a career mode

It don`t have to be like RTL ski jumping or so, but i wish more motivation for a single play without the idea to chase hill records, i hope Jussi has some ideas:-)

- different weather conditions + gates

if there is tailwind or heavy snowfall it would be nice to have the possibility to go off with the gates. the other way to go down with the gates (to much upwind, sunny weather)

- more normal hills

It is nice to jump 300 metres, but more normal-sized hills (K-90, K-120, K-185) would be very nice, they only have to be different in form and profile

- Training possibility with adjustable conditions

tailwind, upwind, gate,...

I hope these are nice ideas, and i hope Jussi will take one or two in consideration:-)

Salute
Basadoni
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

If it's going to include such FIS introductions like points for wind and gates, then definately:
Different gates. There should be some intro before every competition showing conditions, e.g. "rainy, 2 C degrees, wind -1.5 m/s" or "foggy, -3 C degrees, +0.5 m/s" and then one should have an option to adjust the starting gate. If conditions change during the competition, this option should always be available. I don't think it's hard to add. In current version of DSJ it's somehow "calculated" where "default gate" is located. So, positions for online rankings should be points, not lengths of jumps. In real life style plays a huge role in jumper's position after all so it matters if someone jumped x meters with telemark or not.

I watched Winter Olympic Games. I do enjoy watching various competitions. Now it's just run through my mind that hills for jumping are built over and over again or look what happened in Innsbruck or Oslo. Hill creator. Even with this amount of hills in the game I get bored jumping on the same objects. I don't compete online and it totally doesn't matter for me if I jumped longer than X person. I look at world records to compare how good I am but it really doesn't get me mad I can't jump 320m in Slovenia... I want more hills. More and more - there will never be enough. Just look somewhere how many objects are in every single country in the world - there are so many! There can be 40 K-120s and each one is different. That's great.
kisiel

Post by kisiel »

I turn to if I want to end up with ideas for the state to do jumps, so that certain countries had after 2 more times on the hill - I mean those countries where they are really jumping. I would also like to be able to choose between the names of states and cities in the caption next to the hill country or to locations of jumps were for example: Zakopane (Poland) - HS ...
Deesjot

Post by Deesjot »

My next ideas! :wink:

Screens from site:

Possibility to choose the style of flight!

Other controls for each
bulwa11

Post by bulwa11 »

different styles of jumping sounds good for me :)

for example Romoeren on big hills puts his skis almost parralel (it aint V style anymore)
back when Ericson was jumping he would make a really wide V style (back of his skis were almost touching each other, but the fronts were really far from each other)
etc ;)

oh and dont forget the little trees in the inrun ;)