World Cup Light (one jump per hill)

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ3.
Thomas

World Cup Light (one jump per hill)

Post by Thomas »

After having done numerous good jumps in qualification but poor ones in the following competition, I thought that maybe it would be fun with a 'lightning round'. By this I mean a separate World Cup where there is only one jump. No qualification and no 2nd round. The points system would still be the same.

What do you think?
Ats

Post by Ats »

Sounds boring.
Last edited by Ats on 26 Jan 2007, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
DSJ4 beta-2 will be released this month! Click here for information:
http://dsj4center.blogspot.com
Last update: 6th March
Audun

Post by Audun »

Good idea, but if you make 1 bad jump you're kinda busted in that hill=P
strozi

Post by strozi »

great idea...!!! why not??
si vis pacem, para bellum
Torsten

Re: World Cup Light (one jump per hill)

Post by Torsten »

Thomas wrote:After having done numerous good jumps in qualification but poor ones in the following competition, I thought that maybe it would be fun with a 'lightning round'. By this I mean a separate World Cup where there is only one jump. No qualification and no 2nd round. The points system would still be the same. What do you think?
I think if so, we should have:
- constant wind (what about 5m/s from front?)
- a boost-key for getting more speed at the inrun (up to 500km/h)
- only 1 hill per world cup (so nobody can lose his classification position, great eh?)
(maybe 0 hills would be even better .. satisfaction guaranteed ... all players are champions ... great!)
- if more than 1 hill per world cup, so they all have to have the same size ... thats much easier than this everlasting change from huge to small to huge to small to ....
- what about this idea: only the last 10 players of qualification round should go to the competition ...

*Girls*, your ideas move the competition from skill to luck .... my opinion!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Torsten wrote:I think if so, we should have:
- constant wind (what about 5m/s from front?)
- a boost-key for getting more speed at the inrun (up to 500km/h)
- only 1 hill per world cup (so nobody can lose his classification position, great eh?)
(maybe 0 hills would be even better .. satisfaction guaranteed ... all players are champions ... great!)
- if more than 1 hill per world cup, so they all have to have the same size ... thats much easier than this everlasting change from huge to small to huge to small to ....
- what about this idea: only the last 10 players of qualification round should go to the competition ...

*Girls*, your ideas move the competition from skill to luck .... my opinion!
What the hell is your problem?

So you're saying that if there is only one jump per competition, then the element of skill is gone? Well, I can safely say that you're wrong. There are people here, and there are people on the online chat who has expressed a desire for such an alternativ to the regular WC. Not as a replacement, but as an alternative. If you don't like it, then stfu and stop acting like a 4-year old.

It is evident that we need an ignore funtion on this forum...
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Thomas wrote:So you're saying that if there is only one jump per competition, then the element of skill is gone? Well, I can safely say that you're wrong. There are people here, and there are people on the online chat who has expressed a desire for such an alternativ to the regular WC. Not as a replacement, but as an alternative. If you don't like it, then stfu and stop acting like a 4-year old.

It is evident that we need an ignore funtion on this forum...
So .. i guess you would also prefer all players are automaticly qualified (do you know the meaning of this word?) for the competition and all players get to have a 2nd jump, no matter how bad the first one was, right?
What i wanted to express is this: Jussi developed a great game about skijumping. Skijumping includes these rules about qualification and the final round. So if he should make the game easier by shortening each round to only 1 jump, then he should include my proposals, too :wink: As easy (and funny) as possible ... that's your intention, isn't it?
Furthermore it is not a thing of "if you don't like it, you don't have to use it"! I will not except if you are getting skill points for 1jump-Sessions, that's another reason for my posting :!:

And one thing: you are talking to the master of "1st in qualification but not qualified for the 2nd jump" himself :idea:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Ok, I'm going to angle this suggestion in a different way. Try to read it again, and read it slow, so you can understand it.

1a) I'm not talking about changing anything.
1b) Let me say it again: Nothing will be changed!

2a) A new kind of competition wil be added.
2b) The added competition will be in a seperate room online.
2c) You can choose if you want to jump in the regular WC room, or the WC Light room. Just like you now can choose to play regular WC, National Cup, Big Hills Tournament, Eastern European Cup, Intercontinental Cup, etc, etc.

3a) In the WC Light room, there are 32 hills.
3b) For each hill, you only jump once.
3c) From this one jump, a score is calculated based on the lenght of the jump and style marks given.
3d) The one with the highest score on this one jump wins the hill and receives 100 WC points. The following players receive points according to regular rules.
Torsten wrote:So .. i guess you would also prefer all players are automaticly qualified (do you know the meaning of this word?) for the competition and all players get to have a 2nd jump, no matter how bad the first one was, right?
You should not be talking to me about understanding the meaning of any words at all. And just to be clear: No there is no automatic qualification, because there is nothing to be qualified for. There is only one jump.

I don't want to go over this again, so to be really really clear, here is how it would work while playing.

1) A hill loads.
2) A list of players are shown on the screen sorted after how many WC points they have, with the highest score on the bottom. (Notice that the actual score does not show on this screen)
3) When the little timer on the bottom of the screen reaches zero, or everybody has changed their status to "Ready", you suddenly see the hill with your jumper on the bar. This means it's time to jump.
4) After the jump, you are back to the screen in point 2) above. Only now the players who have jumped, have also received a score. This score is also on the screen, and the list of players are sorted after this.
5) The WC Standings are shown. Here you can see the change in you online rating, and how many WC points you have. The list of players are sorted after the latter with the highest score on top.
6) Goto 1)

Am I getting through to you now?

My motive for wanting this alternative form of competition is not only because of players who are too inconsistent to qualify and then make two decent jumps in the following competition, but for those who want to play faster. This especially applies to those who occasionally is unable to qualify for round two, or even the first round. It is reallly boring to sit out second round, and it's almost unbearable to sit out both rounds while the others jump. This would never happen in WC Light, because a failed jump only means that you don't get any points.
Audun

Post by Audun »

Understand what you mean, and still think it could be a god idea :)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Audun wrote:Understand what you mean, and still think it could be a god idea :)
Thank you, I'm really streching to great lenghts to be understood here. :lol:
Stretching to greater lenghts than Anders Jacobsen with an MC Hammer-like jumping suit in Planica from the top starting point with an extra push in the back at take-off and 3ms wind upwards the hill.
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Thomas wrote:Ok, I'm going to angle this suggestion in a different way. Try to read it again, and read it slow, so you can understand it.
Thomas, i don't want to exchange words of anger, but the person who doesn't understand is YOU
You don't have to repeat what you wrote earlier, because I know what you mean and what you want.
But it seems to me you didn't get the exact meaining of my last post.
The rules of the game already exist (FIS-rules) and in order to fulfill these as best you can, you earn skill-points. If you want to start a "light"-WC and want to earn skillpoints for that, then you can add my proposals (constant wind, boost etc :wink: ) in this light-wc-slot or in another slot, have tournaments with these easier rules and earn skill points, too ... would that be fair for those, who wanna play with the original (harder) rules? Use your brain and think about it (Feindflug *g*) :!:
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

We'll stay at the official FIS rules. It's too much of burden to keep maintaining multiple set of rules.

[This topic is getting too much into arguing, so I'll lock it.]