Either mouse button works, just not both at the same time

Technical support for DSJ3.
Xercus

Either mouse button works, just not both at the same time

Post by Xercus »

I've just purchased a new computer and rather than re-requesting my old key, I purchased another key for supporting DSJ3 a day or two ago.

Now, on this computer, I can get the ski jumper to do a bad lift off by pressing the left or right button. However, by pressing both buttons at the same time the jumper just sits there without doing a lift off at all at the jump.

I have read the forum and have installed Direct Play and the DirectX 9c components, but the bug is still there. Furthermore, I have tried all versions available to me, namely "dsj3v171.exe", "dsj3v170.exe" and "dsj3v120.exe" and it is the same behavior using any of them.

Is there something I miss?
Obviously it is a real game breaker not being able to get a response from the ski jumper pressing both buttons.

My setup is as follows:
Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1348)
Geforce 3070
11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700F
16GB RAM

Anything else you need? I'm only too happy providing whatever you need as I would like to have it back in a working state.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Either mouse button works, just not both at the same time

Post by Jussi Koskela »

You could try updating your mouse driver or installing another mouse driver.
Xercus

Re: Either mouse button works, just not both at the same time

Post by Xercus »

A few mouse drivers later without a working result, I tried another mouse.
This solution worked, but you are right, it is driver related.

With my not-so-good spare mouse connected, I started Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and in the 'View' menu I checked 'Show hidden devices'.
Expanding the 'Mice and other pointing devices' node I selected my disconnected mouse. From the context menu (right-click), I selected 'Uninstall this device' and checked the option to uninstall the driver software.

Disconnected from the internet to avoid any driver download, I connected my ordinary mouse again.
This time it got installed with the Microsoft default 'HID-compliant mouse' driver instead of the Kensington one.

Now DSJ3 works like a charm, happily accepting both buttons for a proper take-off.
Hopefully the above may be of help for other people experiencing the same problem.

Thanks Jussi :D