newby question

Discussion about ski jumping.
shimself

newby question

Post by shimself »

More than a newby really, just a guy watching the olympics, but 30 minutes googling hasn't answered my question

What counts for distance? The first part of the ski to touch the ground, the front part of the ski when some part touches ground, or ...

I'm looking at the green laser line and I can't see for myself if the person has reached the target or not

That's it, sorry for the intrusion.

Steve

PS While I'm here. Do people think points for style is fair, why not just base it on distance and wind speed full stop?
aljostrava

Re: newby question

Post by aljostrava »

Hi Steve!
As far as I know it is the feet you should be looking at and not the skis.
The distance of the jump counts from the take-off point to the point somewhere in the middle between jumper's feet when he touches the ground.
(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Style has always played an important role in this sport, and 'fairness' is achieved by ruling out the best and the worst style mark.
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

The point between jumper's is in telemark. When it is two-footed landing, it is central part of the foot. Sometimes when landing is crooked (or something like that), then counts the place when any foot touches the landing zone as first.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
shimself

Post by shimself »

aljostrava wrote:Hi Steve!
As far as I know it is the feet you should be looking at and not the skis.
The distance of the jump counts from the take-off point to the point somewhere in the middle between jumper's feet when he touches the ground.
(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Style has always played an important role in this sport, and 'fairness' is achieved by ruling out the best and the worst style mark.
Maciejo-96 wrote:The point between jumper's is in telemark. When it is two-footed landing, it is central part of the foot. Sometimes when landing is crooked (or something like that), then counts the place when any foot touches the landing zone as first.

Thanks both. I hadn't even thought of the feet!
As for style - well they don't mark style for the long jump, why for the ski jump