Jumping hill climbing

Discussion about ski jumping.
Nowhere Girl

Jumping hill climbing

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I already wrote quite a lot about jumping hills in the topic on favourite hills, but I wonder: does anyone else travel to jumping hills just to climb them? I know I'm not the only jumping hill climber in the world, but still it isn't a common hobby.
I have been to 245 hills; sizes: from K-3 to K-185 (four flying hills visited: Vikersund before reconstruction, Harrachov, Planica and Oberstdorf), status: from "in construction" to ruin, rank: from amateur to Olympic hills - so, pretty much the whole spectrum. Countries: Germany (the most), Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Austria, Italy, Slovenia (I have never been outside Europe anyway).
I have even written a fairly long poem (in hexameter!) titled "Ode to ski jumping hills" ("Oda do skoczni"), but it's in Polish, so only some users would understand it.
I climb jumping hills despite not being a fit person (I suffer from mild asthma and severe allergy, I weigh about 90 kg, but even when much lighter I was never fit). I do need some time to do it* (comparison: I live on 7th floor and only once did I manage to climb this high without taking breaks. Normally I use the elevator anyway ;)), but I'm just crazy about jumping hills, so I continue doing it.
*However, I once climbed a K-50 in about 12 minutes because I had little time - the bus was leaving soon and it was an isolated village with buses arriving and leaving every two hours.
Does anyone else "collect" jumping hills like I do?