Off-topic discussion & chatter.
Di Stefano

Discusion About Finnish

Post by Di Stefano »

Moi, minä Kehotan teitä keskustelemaan.
Di Stefano

Re: Discusion About Finnish

Post by Di Stefano »

First question: How are you talking about future, without future time?
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Please give an example what you want to say
That's gotta hurt.
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Di Stefano wrote:First question: How are you talking about future, without future time?
Often, present tense is used even when talking about future events:

It will rain tomorrow -> Huomenna sataa (= it rains tomorrow).

This of course requires the word huomenna (= tomorrow) because otherwise it would just be present time. So, in this case, future time is indicated simply by the context created by other words in the sentence.

There are some other less common ways like the rather archaic:

Huomenna on satava (it is to rain tomorrow). This you will find mainly in the Bible, no-one uses it in for real.

Then there's also a colloquial version which is a literal translation of the swedish future tense (kommer att hända):

Huomenna tulee satamaan (it comes to rain tomorrow). This is getting more common, even newspapers are using this now. It is not really correct Finnish though and it can cause some hilarious misunderstandings like:

It will rain water tomorrow -> Huomenna tulee satamaan vettä. ( = tomorrow, water will come to the harbor)
Di Stefano

Post by Di Stefano »

ok i understand now i didnt think that about it, its weird,

but in polish we can see the smillar form but not completely same.
for example we can say: its rains Tomorrow and will be rain tomorrow, and every one is full correct.
he10th3r310

Post by he10th3r310 »

I think it's easier first to start with learning basic words, again and again, then starting to build simple words with them, using them over and over again, then trying to read something from finnish text without translating it etc. This is how I have taught some people finnish, even no one has yet mastered it. Some of them can speak simple finnish very well though... And this is how I have been learning polish too :lol:

You can use translator for translating single words, there it works very well.
DSJ2 Total Length: 5438,88m
DSJ3 Total Length: 7825,25m
DSJ4 Total Lenght: 3560,25m (offline)

Combined: 16824.38m

I'm a retired player. I won't jump more competitive jumps, but I will anyway support the game future development as I can.