DSJ laggy when returning to menu in online mode

Technical support for DSJ4.
sneze2r

DSJ laggy when returning to menu in online mode

Post by sneze2r »

Hi,
I have a issues with DSJ4. In online mode, after the jump before I return back to results menu I have 4-5 second lag. Sometimes it makes me not being able to even see the results. Especially when I have PB I have additional 5-6 sec lag and for other players it looks like I'm waiting... What is the cause of it? I tried reinstalling the game but this issue still persists. I have good PC and good connection.

Also I have the same lags in offline mode.
Xinitiao

Re: DSJ laggy when returning to menu in online mode

Post by Xinitiao »

I have the same issue too, there is ~1-2sec lag also after an offline jump, after exiting training settings and after leaving personal records page.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
sneze2r

Post by sneze2r »

Xinitiao wrote:I have the same issue too, there is ~1-2sec lag also after an offline jump, after exiting training settings and after leaving personal records page.
I have the same. After quiting settings in training mode I have 4-5 sec lag. The same with personal records page.

I did a little debugging and during all these lags CPU usage jumps from 6-8% to 20-22%.... ram is fine
sneze2r

Post by sneze2r »

Issue solved. Reinstall with removing Documents\Deluxe Ski Jump 4 fixed the issue
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Xinitiao wrote:I have the same issue too, there is ~1-2sec lag also after an offline jump, after exiting training settings and after leaving personal records page.
All these operations make changes to your player file. It's not doing anything heavy, so it's pretty weird that it takes that long.
What's the size of your .plr file at <Documents>\Deluxe Ski Jump 4\Players?
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

It's 892KB right now.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
sneze2r

Post by sneze2r »

Jussi Koskela wrote: ....
What's the size of your .plr file at <Documents>\Deluxe Ski Jump 4\Players?
I removed entire Deluxe Ski Jump 4 folder with rm -r -f without making a backup unfortunately... But as I said, reinstall with removing this folder solved the issue.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

I was able to identify the problem:

1. Serializing player data to .plr file becomes very slow on large player files due to low performance string concatenation in C++ standard library.
2. Player file grows large if you jump on many different hills (and most importantly on many versions hills). Jump statistics are tracked for each version of each hill and they are saved even in practice jumps.
3. Jump statistics / PBs are not cleaned up from the player file even if the corresponding hill is not available any more.

As a solution I will improve the speed of the serialization. I could also add some functionality to clear statistics / PBs in player account for hills that have been removed.
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Thank you! :D
Lurker since 2001
sneze2r

Post by sneze2r »

I have new issue. Not related to lags, but related to plr file. While doing some hill making, dsj4 freezed and I basically couldn't do anything on my PC so I had to do forced shut down. After this, when I want to enter the training mode I get an error

Code: Select all

Invalid file: C:\Users\...\Players\Grzegorz ....plr
So there is also something else related to processing this file that made it corrupted and freezed pc. Maybe I can send this plr file for debugging purpose?

edit: I've checked the file and it's filled with white space, probably because of the forced shut down...