Should there be a record hunting mode in DSJ4

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.

Poll ended at 19 Apr 2021, 18:17

Yes, of course - i hate losing life time
56%
Hm...i go along with the majority
No votes
No, wind search belongs to it like the amen in the church
44%

Total votes: 32

Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

Here is a survey on record hunting mode - please make your choice :)
KulickiB

Re: Should there be a record hunting mode in DSJ4

Post by KulickiB »

That would be too easy
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

What is more easy than clicking escape, ok, world cup, start a few hundred times? :mrgreen:

My idea for record hunting mode is that this mode sets the exact same conditions and gate as the current wr, if someone wants to try to find better conditions they can, but then others would also be able to use them.
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Maksuu

Post by Maksuu »

KulickiB wrote:That would be too easy
The thing is many poeple don't have neither time, nor nerves to search for the wind (while still wanting to improve their PB on some hills) - hence the 'record hunting mode' idea is a good one imo
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

I am shocked at the current state of the survey. So much so that I really have to doubt the intelligence of some people - in the time it takes to find a good wind for record attempts you can drink three beers or have sex with your life partner or eat a pizza or study for an exam and so on - just madness!
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

KulickiB wrote:That would be too easy
I agree. I also think there should be a chance to start from 1-3 gates lower, a chance to get disqualified before you jump and a chance for the competition to be cancelled. There should also be a chance that your equipment doesn't arrive in time and you won't be able to start. WRs/PBs don't matter at all if getting WR conditions doesn't require at least 10 hours of starting world cup and exiting. Clicking through a menu is what makes record hunting so exciting, after all. The jumping part is just a less important, secondary thing.
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

This idea has a sense only with marginalization of offline hill records significance in the same moment.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Maciejo-96 wrote:This idea has a sense only with marginalization of offline hill records significance in the same moment.
&on online 24/7 servers if so
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Well, this is a subject for a different discussion. But still it would be interesting to know the opinion of community about that.
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

Maciejo-96 wrote:This idea has a sense only with marginalization of offline hill records significance in the same moment.
Interesting opinion - please tell me why.
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

With record hunting mode, beating of offline records will be really easy, as it has never been. And to be honest - it will be much too easy. Differences between top players and even average players will become smaller and distorted. The idea of beating hill records will be totally finished off. As an old player, I use lots of hours to reach my current level with offline hill records, it shouldn't be too easy if it will be kept in current priority. If record hunting is as easy as in your idea - it should be marginalized, treated as totally unofficial, because - as I wrote earlier - it will be too easy.
Austrian_Skijumpfan_94

Post by Austrian_Skijumpfan_94 »

I am for no, Look at some retro hills for example, where the best wind isn´t allways the solution, and the wind search just makes it more special if you do get a record, hunting mode would just make it boring and would take the value from it imo
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

Maciejo-96 wrote:With record hunting mode, beating of offline records will be really easy, as it has never been. And to be honest - it will be much too easy. Differences between top players and even average players will become smaller and distorted. The idea of beating hill records will be totally finished off. As an old player, I use lots of hours to reach my current level with offline hill records, it shouldn't be too easy if it will be kept in current priority. If record hunting is as easy as in your idea - it should be marginalized, treated as totally unofficial, because - as I wrote earlier - it will be too easy.
The statement that a record hunting mode would simplify everything is simply wrong. I don't become a better player because I don't have to spend half the day looking for the best wind.

And as the colleague already said: Where is the difficulty in constantly pressing Escape? It is nothing but a time eater and clearly favours players who simply have more time.
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

Austrian_Skijumpfan_94 wrote:I am for no, Look at some retro hills for example, where the best wind isn´t allways the solution, and the wind search just makes it more special if you do get a record, hunting mode would just make it boring and would take the value from it imo

That is precisely why Xinitao's proposal is very successful: You get the same wind as the record holder. It doesn't get any smarter than that.
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Okay, I don't really mind record hunting mode in offline game, but something for something - online records should get much bigger priority: meaning that online records lists should be visible as first (prior) on Mediamond site and in game. Offline records will then have something like "longest standing" which in real jumping is treated as unofficial.