Should there be a record hunting mode in DSJ4

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.

Should there be a record hunting mode in DSJ4

Poll ended at 19 Apr 2021, 18:17

Yes, of course - i hate losing life time
56%
Hm...i go along with the majority
No votes
No, wind search belongs to it like the amen in the church
44%

Total votes: 32

SoBo

Re: Should there be a record hunting mode in DSJ4

Post by SoBo »

Everyone knows my opinion, dose everything slowly not like you did. I don't know what this conversation is for, who will enjoy from being a record holder on one of the million hills :) What does it matter, add another 100 hills then the problem will solve itself.
I greet warmly.
PEAK : 1946

Online Total length 3531.47m
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

SoBo wrote:Everyone knows my opinion, dose everything slowly not like you did. I don't know what this conversation is for, who will enjoy from being a record holder on one of the million hills :) What does it matter, add another 100 hills then the problem will solve itself.
I greet warmly.
I think I have made it clear what I am about :)

Instead of trying IMMEDIATELY to improve my personal records, I have to just push buttons for a very long time before I have the opportunity to do so. My incentive is not the world record, but to improve my own. And I don't want to try to do that after clicking around for nothing but only for wasting time.
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

Instead of trying IMMEDIATELY to improve my personal records, I have to just push buttons for a very long time before I have the opportunity to do so. My incentive is not the world record, but to improve my own. And I don't want to try to do that after clicking around for nothing but only for wasting time.[/quote]

I understand, but I don't understand one you expect some "facilities", i wrote it correctly?
PEAK : 1946

Online Total length 3531.47m
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

So far I can see 4 arguments against it:

1) Record hunting would be too easy / It will lose meaning / It would take the value from it

This is about reducing the luck and free time factor and putting more emphasis on skill. Less navigating through the menu, more jumping (actually PLAYING the game). Average players won't magically become better and get WRs everywhere. If you don't have the skill for it, you just won't jump it.
I would go as far as to say that a record hunting mode would actually give more meaning to holding a WR, because everyone will have the same opportunity to try for it anytime they want and holding the WR would require an absolutely flawless jump. If you look at the current global records, even after almost 2 months there's still a number of hills where the hill records are far from what's actually possible to jump there. I would say that holding these records doesn't really have too much value, they would have been easily beaten by top players if record hunting mode was introduced.
Another thing is that players would be much more motivated to improve their PBs, making their records way more representative of their skill.

2) Strong headwind isn't always the best for WRs

Nobody is forcing you to use strong headwind. You could always try different winds and check which one is the best. This would change absolutely nothing for you.

3) It would be boring

It's strange to me that some people find it more fun to click on buttons in the menu for hours and hours rather than actually jumping. If you enjoy clicking so much, maybe you should play a clicker game instead, and not a ski jumping game.

4) I didn't have it back then so others shouldn't have it too

Very selfish.
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

SoBo wrote:
I understand, but I don't understand one you expect some "facilities", i wrote it correctly?
Check Dangerous Daves words, they are right from the beginning to the end.

And apart from that, I don't expect any "facilities". For the thousandth time: Is it difficult to press the left mouse button? I just want more fairness, so that people like me who have less time for the game at least have similar conditions as those who have more than enough of it.