Record Hunting Mode - next attempt

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
Basadoni

Record Hunting Mode - next attempt

Post by Basadoni »

Hi friends of blessed ski jumping,

I just wanted to find a good wind on a hill where my personal record is rather mediocre. After 15 minutes i gave up, unnerved, because I have to start cooking something for the kids. Unfortunately, I don't understand why a record hunting mode is not introduced. I play DSJ4 every day, but only in phases (it's the only game I play at all) and it doesn't change anything to have the opportunity to play with the best wind conditions immediately.
I just don't understand why this annoying wind search is an attraction for some - it's just a motivation killer.

Therefore, I would like to ask Jussi if he would not like to introduce such a mode.

Thank you for your attention :wink:
Andrej šunkar

Re: Record Hunting Mode - next attempt

Post by Andrej šunkar »

You can't change the weather in real life either. You can only change it in training.
So I think it’s already just the way it is.
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

Andrej šunkar wrote:You can't change the weather in real life either. You can only change it in training.
Its a game, not real life.
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I completely agree. This "mechanic" adds absolutely nothing to the game - it's not a challenge, it's just a massive waste of time. I find it unbelievable that something like a "record hunting mode" hasn't been added years ago. It won't magically make you jump better, you won't jump a WR if you don't have the skill for it, but you can actually PLAY the game instead of clicking through the menu over and over again for many minutes, maybe even hours to get good conditions on a SINGLE hill.
But apparently some old school players can't get over the fact that they wasted many hours searching for wind, so they would rather keep this annoying, nonsensical system just so other people won't have it easier than they did.
gtaman

Post by gtaman »

Basadoni wrote:
Andrej šunkar wrote:You can't change the weather in real life either. You can only change it in training.
Its a simulation not an arcade.
gtaman

Post by gtaman »

Dangerous Dave wrote:I completely agree. This "mechanic" adds absolutely nothing to the game - it's not a challenge, it's just a massive waste of time. I find it unbelievable that something like a "record hunting mode" hasn't been added years ago. It won't magically make you jump better, you won't jump a WR if you don't have the skill for it, but you can actually PLAY the game instead of clicking through the menu over and over again for many minutes, maybe even hours to get good conditions on a SINGLE hill.
But apparently some old school players can't get over the fact that they wasted many hours searching for wind, so they would rather keep this annoying, nonsensical system just so other people won't have it easier than they did.
You cant play with back wind? Its same as saying you cant play nfs, becasue the road is wet.

For me its interesting that none of the hills havent got higher gate advantage than wind one. Maybe those dont get approved ...
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

gtaman wrote:
Basadoni wrote:
Its a simulation not an arcade.
Are you kidding? For a simulation, there would have to be strong gusts of wind or you would sometimes be disqualified because your suit is too big. And so on... Sorry, but it's not enough for a simulation, if we're honest.

But what does wind-seeking have to do with a simulation?
Last edited by Basadoni on 03 Apr 2021, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

gtaman wrote:
Dangerous Dave wrote:I completely agree. This "mechanic" adds absolutely nothing to the game - it's not a challenge, it's just a massive waste of time. I find it unbelievable that something like a "record hunting mode" hasn't been added years ago. It won't magically make you jump better, you won't jump a WR if you don't have the skill for it, but you can actually PLAY the game instead of clicking through the menu over and over again for many minutes, maybe even hours to get good conditions on a SINGLE hill.
You cant play with back wind? Its same as saying you cant play nfs, becasue the road is wet.

For me its interesting that none of the hills havent got higher gate advantage than wind one. Maybe those dont get approved ...
Apart from the fact that I can't understand exactly what you mean, does this have anything to do with a record hunting mode?
Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave »

gtaman wrote: You cant play with back wind? Its same as saying you cant play nfs, becasue the road is wet.
You may have misunderstood my post - I'm talking about record hunting here. I like playing for fun with random conditions, but if I want to improve my personal best on a hill, I shouldn't have to waste so much time of my life clicking through the menu. It has nothing to do with the game, you aren't playing it, but you have to do that if you want to have a chance of getting a long jump. It's really tedious, it discourages people from trying to improve their records and it gives people with less free time a big disadvantage. Maybe it was somehow acceptable when the game had 24 hills, but with so many new hills added and more of them coming soon, I think it's definitely time to reconsider this now.
gtaman wrote:For me its interesting that none of the hills havent got higher gate advantage than wind one. Maybe those dont get approved ...
I have no idea what you mean by this.
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

Jussi, what's your opinion?
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Basadoni wrote:Jussi, what's your opinion?
I am not too eager to change the behavior at this point unless there is strong consensus on it.
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
Basadoni wrote:Jussi, what's your opinion?
I am not too eager to change the behavior at this point unless there is strong consensus on it.
I have started a survey on this topic - let's see :wink: