Changes in private servers

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.

Want?

Yup.
79%
Nope.
21%

Total votes: 14

SangreSani

Changes in private servers

Post by SangreSani »

Hey all,

My idea/suggestion is to change how the private servers are working overall. Wouldn't it be easier and more profitable for Jussi if servers were self-hosted and paid once?
I think more people would be interested in buying the software to run their own servers than paying annually every year for a server hosted on Jussi's side.

Just look - the game is very popular (especially in POL, but not only), but there are only 11 private servers that are empty 99% of the time. Don't you think that the cause of this is the yearly payment? Let's say I have 10 friends who I want to play with sometimes on our own server (maybe make a tournament once in a while, when everyone has time for that stuff). It just doesn't pay off.

Has this been considered? I think it might be possible to do on the programming-end. You might even have both options (the one I suggest and the one already existing).

TL;DR
-make a once paid soft to host private servers
-make this soft a bit more expensive than hosting the server on Jussi's side (50-60€?)
-profit?

What are your opinions on that matter? And what is your opinion, mr. Koskela? :)
SangreSani

Re: Changes in private servers

Post by SangreSani »

Bump, since I really need Jussi's opinion on the matter. xD