One idea which can make record hunting easier

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.

Do you want it?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 51

Szymon11

One idea which can make record hunting easier

Post by Szymon11 »

Last edited by Szymon11 on 05 Feb 2014, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Peak: 1835
Total length offline: 3535.16 m
Total length online: 3500.20 m
Former online world record holder: Wisła.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!
Massa36780

Re: One idea which can make record hunting easier

Post by Massa36780 »

Good idea. I think we will see more and better records
Bad Mitterndorf, Sapporo & Planica
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzRc-ofZQ5X3vDEvmsGbdYA subscribe me

Personal Best : 235,71 (Planica 05.02.2014)
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Voted yes. It saves hours of time, people (with patience) will find those winds anyway; this just gives equal chances for everyone to find them. Still, maybe it should not quite guarantee absolutely the best winds everytime, I think it should just make good gates and winds more likely.
Last edited by MJumper on 02 Feb 2014, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.
Szymon11

Post by Szymon11 »

MJumper wrote:Voted yes. It saves hours of time, people will find those winds anyway; this just gives equal chances for everyone to find them. Still, maybe it should not quite guarantee absolutely the best winds everytime, I think it should just make good gates and winds more likely.
As you wrote; my goal was higher a likelihood to find better wind. This system ought to be more equitable. If it was in the game, it would cause that everyone has the same conditions from sample gate, is it equitable, isn't it??
Record Hunting equals "Hunting for a luck". Everyone think that it have to differ, because it waste of time.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Szymon11 wrote: As you wrote; my goal was higher a likelihood to find better wind. This system ought to be more equitable. If it was in the game, it would cause that everyone has the same conditions from sample gate, is it equitable, isn't it??
Record Hunting equals "Hunting for a luck". Everyone think that it have to differ, because it waste of time.
I agree with you, I'm trying to be a bit conservative just to bring another viewpoint into the discussion because the people who disagree with us are less active posters than you and me, but I'm sure they do exist.

So what I want to know is why some people voted "no". Maybe they are against "always perfect" conditions, probably because it removes part of the glory of getting the record (being lucky is also fun)? To solve this, I think the best solution is to add both this and online tournament records. Then we would have one record category to explore the maximum potential of each hill (offline) and another one that's a better representation of how hill records happen in real life (tournament records).
Szymon11

Post by Szymon11 »

MJumper wrote:
Szymon11 wrote: As you wrote; my goal was higher a likelihood to find better wind. This system ought to be more equitable. If it was in the game, it would cause that everyone has the same conditions from sample gate, is it equitable, isn't it??
I agree with you, I'm trying to be a bit conservative just to bring another viewpoint into the discussion because the people who disagree with us are less active posters than you and me, but I'm sure they do exist.

So what I want to know is why some people voted "no". Maybe they are against "always perfect" conditions, probably because it removes part of the glory of getting the record (being lucky is also fun)? To solve this, I think the best solution is to add both this and online tournament records. Then we would have one record category to explore the maximum potential of each hill (offline) and another one that's a better representation of how hill records happen in real life (tournament records).
Martin you totally striked home, that's how this system must look. Introducing it will make everyone happy and valuable player.
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Sounds great.

I think there should be option "Select lowest gate and/or gate +1" or something like that. With this, looking for wind would be absolutely great pleasure.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
domi_deluxe

Post by domi_deluxe »

if you would implement this, than:

1. all of the records would be much more closer - much more ex aequo places - because every hill has its maximum
2. the results would be mixed up - then we see no-names on the best places - i mean, it would be positiv also!!! because more people could celebrate good results (records)
3. IT IS SKILL if you have a perfect jump while perfect wind conditions
4. it would be very monotonous jumping while perfect wind conditions :?

just MY point of view ... no more, no less ...
###fu**ing cheaters!!!###
MarcinŚliwiński

Post by MarcinŚliwiński »

Now is good as is, the priority there are other things than wind.
Why voted no? Because I spent a lot of time searching for the perfect wind and gate...
Przyszłość nie zaczyna się od jutra, zaczyna się od dzisiaj...
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Thanks for explaining your thoughts, no-sayers :).
1. all of the records would be much more closer - much more ex aequo places - because every hill has its maximum
2. the results would be mixed up - then we see no-names on the best places - i mean, it would be positiv also!!! because more people could celebrate good results (records)
3. IT IS SKILL if you have a perfect jump while perfect wind conditions
4. it would be very monotonous jumping while perfect wind conditions :?
1. Yes, this is why I only want this in combination with tournament records.
2. I see no problem with this.
3. Yes? ... This would not change, we are not proposing perfect winds for every jump, just an option to have a better chance of getting a good gate and reasonable average winds for that gate. It is only meant to eliminate the "wrong gate -> restart, wrong gate -> restart" -process, which surely has nothing to do with skill.
4. Just as monotonous as it is now after you find the good wind/gate combo. There is still going to be local variations in wind just as there is now. This is really the same answer as 3.
MarcinŚliwiński wrote: Why voted no? Because I spent a lot of time searching for the perfect wind and gate...
Wait, what? Are you saying that your time spent in the past will be wasted because of changes in the future? Interesting :?. But you already spent that time anyway, these are sunken costs, right? I also spent a lot of time (perhaps less than some but a lot anyway) searching for winds for my records, and I don't want other jumpers to have to do the same in the future, nor do I want to do it again when trying to improve my records further.
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Yes, actually now we need a lot of luck and we waste a lot of time to find great wind. In my opinion, down to Auto Save option will be option "Select the lowest available gate or gate +1", or down to scoring method options to select: "Lowest gate available or gate +1" and "Random wind conditions".
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
davisp

Post by davisp »

I think the people who say no missunderstand what it's all about. Martin already figured it out already. But maybe it should be clarified in the opening post too, that it's not about having the best wind conditions for every jump. This should just eliminate the "wrong gate -> restart -> wrong gate -> restart"-process. Would be nice if Szymon could add this to the opening post, so that everybody understands :)
World Record Holder for 5 minutes
domi_deluxe

Post by domi_deluxe »

davisp wrote:I think the people who say no missunderstand what it's all about. Martin already figured it out already. But maybe it should be clarified in the opening post too, that it's not about having the best wind conditions for every jump. This should just eliminate the "wrong gate -> restart -> wrong gate -> restart"-process. Would be nice if Szymon could add this to the opening post, so that everybody understands :)
trust me - i do understand!!!

i don't know if i can explain it in english but i will try:
you play an ego shooter
during the game you come to battles where you have to beat the other party
to reach this battles you have to walk around the whole level, no opponents no enemy, just look around to assess the surroundings and prepare to fight, collect weapons and so on ...
and your "record-hunting-thing" will be like:
oooh a battle ... fight ... mission accomplished ... ooooh another battle ... fight ... mission accomplished .... aaaahhh another battle ... funny ... fight again .... mission accomplished .... qua qua qua ...

in every single ski jump game you have to search for best wind conditions - it is part of the game!!!
we all have the training-mode to jump with good wind conditions and select the gate ;)
###fu**ing cheaters!!!###
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

And please keep in mind that this kind of change could also be big enough to store the old records and start a new era - so no time would be lost in a way.
That's gotta hurt.
davisp

Post by davisp »

domi_deluxe wrote:
davisp wrote:I think the people who say no missunderstand what it's all about. Martin already figured it out already. But maybe it should be clarified in the opening post too, that it's not about having the best wind conditions for every jump. This should just eliminate the "wrong gate -> restart -> wrong gate -> restart"-process. Would be nice if Szymon could add this to the opening post, so that everybody understands :)
trust me - i do understand!!!

i don't know if i can explain it in english but i will try:
you play an ego shooter
during the game you come to battles where you have to beat the other party
to reach this battles you have to walk around the whole level, no opponents no enemy, just look around to assess the surroundings and prepare to fight, collect weapons and so on ...
and your "record-hunting-thing" will be like:
oooh a battle ... fight ... mission accomplished ... ooooh another battle ... fight ... mission accomplished .... aaaahhh another battle ... funny ... fight again .... mission accomplished .... qua qua qua ...

in every single ski jump game you have to search for best wind conditions - it is part of the game!!!
we all have the training-mode to jump with good wind conditions and select the gate ;)
No one would ever play an ego-shooter where you don't shoot for 30 minutes. I'm just sick of restart the world cup again and again for 30 minutes. And when you find the right gate then you can play and maybe have 5-10 jumpers with perfect conditions. The only thing that would change with the record hunting mode is the 30 minutes of restarting the world cup. BUT you will still have only 5-10 jumpers with perfect conditions.

But okay... you like wasting your time for hours with restarting the game, some others do not.
World Record Holder for 5 minutes