One idea which can make record hunting easier

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.

Do you want it?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 51

domi_deluxe

Re: One idea which can make record hunting easier

Post by domi_deluxe »

davisp wrote: No one would ever play an ego-shooter where you don't shoot for 30 minutes. I'm just sick of restart the world cup again and again for 30 minutes. And when you find the right gate then you can play and maybe have 5-10 jumpers with perfect conditions. The only thing that would change with the record hunting mode is the 30 minutes of restarting the world cup. BUT you will still have only 5-10 jumpers with perfect conditions.

But okay... you like wasting your time for hours with restarting the game, some others do not.
i don't like wasting my time ... it is just part of the game ...
30 minutes of restarting??? maximum 7 - 8 minutes ...

i don't want to bully anybody ...
i have my opinion, you have your own opinion, everyone has its personal opinion ...

record-hunt-mode will change EVERYTHING
to be a little exaggerated - we will have a new game with 24 hills
maybe a good decision ... !? ... :roll:
###fu**ing cheaters!!!###
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

domi_deluxe wrote:30 minutes of restarting??? maximum 7 - 8 minutes ...
I sometimes have more than 1 hour of restarting :D
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
davisp

Post by davisp »

domi_deluxe wrote:
davisp wrote: No one would ever play an ego-shooter where you don't shoot for 30 minutes. I'm just sick of restart the world cup again and again for 30 minutes. And when you find the right gate then you can play and maybe have 5-10 jumpers with perfect conditions. The only thing that would change with the record hunting mode is the 30 minutes of restarting the world cup. BUT you will still have only 5-10 jumpers with perfect conditions.

But okay... you like wasting your time for hours with restarting the game, some others do not.
i don't like wasting my time ... it is just part of the game ...

i don't want to bully anybody ...
i have my opinion, you have your own opinion, everyone has its personal opinion ...

record-hunt-mode will change EVERYTHING
to be a little exaggerated - we will have a new game with 24 hills
maybe a good decision ... !? ... :roll:
Yeah, I respect the opinion of everyone too. I don't wanna sound mean.

So if it's "only" 7-8 minutes of restarting, why would the record-hunt-mode then change everything?
World Record Holder for 5 minutes
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

domi_deluxe wrote: i don't like wasting my time ... it is just part of the game ...
Maybe we play a different version, my record is far over an hour...
Anyway, it's not about the exact number of minutes, just consider this:

Imagine that there is a company that manufactures locks. Locks are installed in doors to prevent people from entering through the door. The company has decided that locks are not meant to be opened and thus it is making only locks, not keys. Now, you start noticing that people are using clever but tedious workarounds like twisted metal strings to open the locks. Clearly, everybody wants to eventually open a lock, even though this functionality is not supposed to be supported by the product. The company has two options: do nothing and continue to allow users to abuse shortcomings of the product OR actually change the product to respond to a clear user demand and start manufacturing keys. The company decides to ask customers for their opinions. Now, some customers are against keys. Their reasonings are things like "I already used to open my door like this for years and I became an expert on it, I don't want all that practice going to waste and to lose my advantage over others" or "really it only takes a few minutes, what's the big deal?".

Bottom line for me is: if you can invent a product (or a feature in a game) that makes it more convenient for people to do what they already do with the product (or game) anyway, why not just do it?
virpi

Post by virpi »

Recently, I've picked up playing DSJ again and so far, I'm really enjoying it. I only play online occasionally, the part of DSJ which I've always enjoyed the most was the record hunting. And even though I'm only a mid-tier player (around #200 in total length world-wide), I still love improving and getting better lengths on every hill.

The current wind system may be terrible for the "pros", because they sometimes have to restart the world cup hundreds of times to get the absolutely perfect wind / gate combination - but even for casual record hunters like me, it's gruesome. If I want to improve my record on a certain hill, I also want to have at least 2 m/s frontwind and the "normal" gate for that conditions.

For competitions with changing wind conditions there's the online mode. Offline should be about record hunting and nothing else, even though there might be some players out there who actually enjoy jumping with 2 m/s tailwind.

The world records are out of reach for the majority of players, anyway, even with perfect conditions. To me, it's absolutely astounding how you could reach 3500m in total length. Some of the best players must have jumped tens of thousands of times.

TLDR: Yes! Restarting the World Cup is not fun. Records are being jumped with perfect conditions, anyway. The legitimizing argument for the current system is artificial, because it rewards endurance and stoicism instead of skill.
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

MJumper wrote: So what I want to know is why some people voted "no". Maybe they are against "always perfect" conditions, probably because it removes part of the glory of getting the record (being lucky is also fun)? To solve this, I think the best solution is to add both this and online tournament records. Then we would have one record category to explore the maximum potential of each hill (offline) and another one that's a better representation of how hill records happen in real life (tournament records).
Obviously !!! This has been said here thousand times, we all know this game really needs it.....

This is exactly why i voted "no".
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
virpi

Post by virpi »

I've been thinking a bit today, and I've come up with a new idea:

What if there were seperate record lists for each gate? Of course, the overall hill records would stay as they are, but having record lists for "bad" winds / gates would maybe encourage people to jump with worse conditions, too.
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

MikesCZ wrote: Obviously !!! This has been said here thousand times, we all know this game really needs it.....

This is exactly why i voted "no".
Fair point. This is the problem with yes/no polls, some people who partly agree say no (like you did) and some say yes (like I did).

virpi wrote: What if there were seperate record lists for each gate
I don't like that idea... There would be so much data that it stops being interesting. And the most extreme players would probably want the best records from every gate (and they'd still need the best winds from all those other gates too)... if anything, I think this would just make things worse.
virpi

Post by virpi »

I don't like that idea... There would be so much data that it stops being interesting. And the most extreme players would probably want the best records from every gate (and they'd still need the best winds from all those other gates too)... if anything, I think this would just make things worse.
Yeah, that's right. People always want to be the best.
As far as I remember, this whole discussion is as old as DSJ itself. Hunting the perfect wind / gate combination AND getting the perfect jump was always kind of the trademark of DSJ games. Maybe it's about time to make record hunting at least a tiny bit more convenient.
151kbar151

Post by 151kbar151 »

This will need a permission from Miran Tepeš :lol: :mrgreen: (joke).