Higher winds

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.

Would you like stronger possible wind in the game? (up to 3 or 4m/s)

yes
68%
no
32%

Total votes: 28

Bartek Palewicz

Higher winds

Post by Bartek Palewicz »

KamilStoch wrote:And stronger possible wind. Peaks 3-4m.
This. As you can see, i took it from another topic, and i'd like to know the opinion of community.
davisp

Re: Higher winds

Post by davisp »

But only for DSJ5. It would change the game (DSJ4) too much. I think Jussi only wants new features or improvements for DSJ4 but no major changes that would completely change the game experience
World Record Holder for 5 minutes
Georg Gasser

Post by Georg Gasser »

Good idea
, but please not that wind changes so Fast like in DSJ3 because record hunting would be too difficult
JacekD

Post by JacekD »

I don't think that this is a good idea. DSJ4 is based around realism and in real life, ski jumpers won't take their jump in 2m/s+ winds.
Bartek Palewicz

JacekD wrote:I don't think that this is a good idea. DSJ4 is based around realism and in real life, ski jumpers won't take their jump in 2m/s+ winds.
Yeah, sure... have you watched at least 1 of this season's competitons?
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

There are few major problems with stronger winds:
  1. The playability is fine-tuned for the current range of winds.
  2. Some hills don't have low enough gates available.
  3. Old hill records would become obsolete.
J.MIRO

Post by J.MIRO »

Jussi Koskela wrote:There are few major problems with stronger winds:
Ok, but for training it will be so great, you thought about this.
Szymon11

Post by Szymon11 »

J.MIRO wrote:
Ok, but for training it will be so great, you thought about this.
The simulation is costs so much time.
The phisics should be adjusted to the new conditions.
Of course for training and for fun it's really nice, but Jussi should concentrate on creating new hills and introduce the most-wanted online-records.
Peak: 1835
Total length offline: 3535.16 m
Total length online: 3500.20 m
Former online world record holder: Wisła.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!
JacekD

Post by JacekD »

Bartek Palewicz wrote: Yeah, sure... have you watched at least 1 of this season's competitons?
Yes, all of them except from the Engelberg saturday competition. As soon as the wind reaches 2.5-3m/s, the electronic wind measurement displays a red colour...
MattyPolz14

Post by MattyPolz14 »

JacekD wrote:
Bartek Palewicz wrote: Yeah, sure... have you watched at least 1 of this season's competitons?
Yes, all of them except from the Engelberg saturday competition. As soon as the wind reaches 2.5-3m/s, the electronic wind measurement displays a red colour...
No, when it hits 4.0m/s. I think that the winds should be higher for training. In competitions you would want it to be the way it is because of the reasons that Jussi put forward. However, I think that it would be better if you could go to the training settings screen and adjust the wind between 0.0 and 10.0m/s. Yes, 10.0m/s. In real life, when training, the wind can get ridiculous. Competitions may hold when it gets to 4.0, but when in training, it can go way higher. In real life I jump in Calgary, Canada and the wind can get really crazy there. Our dead wind is a 1.5m/s side wind.... We've even jumped in 15.0m/s wind on a K90. We were all fine except for a friend of mine who tipped in (because he dove). 10.0 isn't dangerous as long as the wind is steady. If it begins to get gusty, the turbulence makes it dangerous. This is why I think this should be implemented into training. Would like to hear Jussi's input on this.
JacekD

Post by JacekD »

MattyPolz14 wrote: No, when it hits 4.0m/s. I think that the winds should be higher for training. In competitions you would want it to be the way it is because of the reasons that Jussi put forward. However, I think that it would be better if you could go to the training settings screen and adjust the wind between 0.0 and 10.0m/s. Yes, 10.0m/s. In real life, when training, the wind can get ridiculous. Competitions may hold when it gets to 4.0, but when in training, it can go way higher. In real life I jump in Calgary, Canada and the wind can get really crazy there. Our dead wind is a 1.5m/s side wind.... We've even jumped in 15.0m/s wind on a K90. We were all fine except for a friend of mine who tipped in (because he dove). 10.0 isn't dangerous as long as the wind is steady. If it begins to get gusty, the turbulence makes it dangerous. This is why I think this should be implemented into training. Would like to hear Jussi's input on this.
I have changed my mind a little, 10m/s would be very fun in training but I still think that the wind in competitions offline or online shouldn't exceed 3m/s
Bartek Palewicz

So it's not like 'real life physics model' but something like 'up to 2.5 m/s winds physics model'? :P
Jussi Koskela wrote: 2. Some hills don't have low enough gates available.
But in real life they have, right? Because i've seen them jumping with higher winds.
Jussi Koskela wrote: 3. Old hill records would become obsolete.
Yeah, and we could set new. When Beta-2 appeared, old hill records also became obsolete.
Rajmek1233

Post by Rajmek1233 »

Make new physic with new tight suits.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Bartek Palewicz wrote:
So it's not like 'real life physics model' but something like 'up to 2.5 m/s winds physics model'? :P
Playability != physics
misiu0015

Post by misiu0015 »

And choose jumper before competitions.