Question to Jussi about K.O system

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
skiflyer11

Re: Question to Jussi about K.O system

Post by skiflyer11 »

Jussi Koskela wrote:Then it could be in some cases easier to qualify for the 2nd round than being a normal lucky loser. I smell abuse...
And we want 30 jumpers for the 2nd round, not 31. I think that it's reasonable to offer him the possibility to advance only by being among the best lucky losers.
isnt that kind of unfair, some of the winner of their duels may not even be in the lucky losers :)

That's gotta hurt (sorry Zmaster for that fake ;))
mipocc

Post by mipocc »

Sorry, I haven't seen you'd asked about this, Jussi.

I am thinking about two options:
- If the number of jumpers is even, and there are less than 30 competitors, your option is used. If there are more than 30 and less than 50 jumpers (of course with even number of players), the worst jumper wouldn't qualify.
- You can use my idea and if there's less than 30 jumpers, the first round won't be done in KO system :).

For me, the first option is better :).

I think your idea is good too, so I'll be glad if you use any of this "KO systems" in the game.

One problem in this approach is that a prequalified jumper who skips the qualification (= jumps 0 meters) and wants to challenge the best jumper from the qualification round would lose this chance because he would jump without a pair on the first round. Or maybe the jumper with no pair should be the worst jumper who is not prequalified?
I think the prequalified player should jump as the 35th player. Avoiding qualification round will be even more risky, than in normal system ;).
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

How should the knockout system work in the ski flying competitions?
a) 40 ski jumpers qualify => 20 pairs on the 1st round => 20 winners + 10 lucky losers
b) 50 ski jumpers qualify => 25 pairs on the 1st round => 25 winners + 5 lucky losers (I prefer this)
Szymon11

Post by Szymon11 »

The second option is even realistic and it's much better than the first
Peak: 1835
Total length offline: 3535.16 m
Total length online: 3500.20 m
Former online world record holder: Wisła.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!