Ideas & suggestions for next beta/full version

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
MikesCZ

Re: Ideas & suggestions for next beta/full version

Post by MikesCZ »

misiu0015 wrote:next version CPU Slow .Jussi Please
What does this mean pls?
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

@MikesCZ, I think he means that he wants to be able to watch computer players' jumps (which would make the calculation slower, I think that's why he said slow CPU).

Here's an idea I've had for a while:
I'm a slow typist. Sometimes I'm trying to talk to someone but the discussion is hard to follow because the chat keeps getting flooded some language I don't even understand :D, so:

Basically, everyone would be in the international chat and in the chat of their own country. I think it would reduce the amount of "irrelevant" text seen by the user.
misiu0015

Post by misiu0015 »

And choose jumper before competitions.
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Martin: Idea of the year!!! (well it's only january but still ...)
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
mask

Post by mask »

I think Martin's idea will be very useful but only for people not from Poland. Here are lot of troll kids who don't understand Netiquette. My idea is add the spectator mode in online game, sometimes when someone has a question to other player, he have to jumping and losing his rating. I think that spectator mode will be useful ;)
Martin Kafka

Post by Martin Kafka »

Jussi, is this possible to implement?
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4475/t9fr.png
Martin Kafka

Post by Martin Kafka »

MJumper wrote:Basically, everyone would be in the international chat and in the chat of their own country. I think it would reduce the amount of "irrelevant" text seen by the user.
Excellent idea, and the image is hilarious! :DDD
Martin Kafka

Post by Martin Kafka »

mask wrote:I think Martin's idea will be very useful but only for people not from Poland. Here are lot of troll kids who don't understand Netiquette. My idea is add the spectator mode in online game, sometimes when someone has a question to other player, he have to jumping and losing his rating. I think that spectator mode will be useful ;)
Jussi said the spectator mode is definitely on his to-do list, but that's a long time ago. Wonder if it's still there...
klausfeldmann

Post by klausfeldmann »

AlexRollercoaster wrote:
Szymon11 wrote:
klausfeldmann wrote:I've just had a competition at Bad Mitterndorf, but the far jumps were so difficult to stand, so I would like to have the "Red Button"-feature in game.
Could you explain what does it mean?
Yep. Didnt understand that too, do you mean to able to set a lower gate but then more points for your jump?
Yes, I do mean exactly this.

In DSJ4 there are a few hills having a lot of inrun within the competitions with wich you are able to jump very far. I think especially about
- Bad Mitterndorf
- Sapporo
- Lillehammer
- and maybe a few others, where it sometime can be difficult to land the far jumps without crashing.

Therefor the FIS introduced the red-button-rule 2 years ago. According to that rule, the coaches are allowed to decrease the starting gate by hitting the red button on the coaches grandstand. So the jumper have less inrun and will jump shorter. As a compensation they get a few points added for their jump. This can be an advantage, e.g. when you are able to land with a telemark and not with parallel skis as you would have had to, if you had the original (longer) inrun.

Since the current season, the jumper has to jump at least 95% of the hill-size-length to get the compensation points.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

MJumper wrote:Here's an idea I've had for a while:
I'm a slow typist. Sometimes I'm trying to talk to someone but the discussion is hard to follow because the chat keeps getting flooded some language I don't even understand :D, so:

Basically, everyone would be in the international chat and in the chat of their own country. I think it would reduce the amount of "irrelevant" text seen by the user.
A small problem with this approach is that you'll then have to keep switching between two tabs if you want to follow both conversations. And some scrolling might be required if there's discussion during your jump.

My (or somebody else's) old idea was that there would be only 1 tab but you could direct your comment to your countrymen for example by writing "FIN: ennätys!". But I'm not sure if this would be used by the players.

Another issue is that for example the German speaking players might want to chat with each other and they could do it only in the international chat.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Martin Kafka wrote:Jussi, is this possible to implement?
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4475/t9fr.png
Hmm.. I'm not sure. Some players might find it little disturbing if it's that easy to follow their playing times.
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Jussi Koskela wrote: A small problem with this approach is that you'll then have to keep switching between two tabs if you want to follow both conversations. And some scrolling might be required if there's discussion during your jump.
Personally, I would not find the tab switching too problematic. I'd think there should actually be less scrolling required if people wrote in different channels instead of only one. With the current system, I usually have to do a lot of scrolling anyway if I want to follow both the Finnish and the English discussion, because these take space from each other, and because there will always be many lines of Polish in between as well. Because there are so many people talking at one place, it is very easy for a message to get "lost in history" before anyone can even see it, and this causes people to repost the same message, which again makes the problem even bigger.
My (or somebody else's) old idea was that there would be only 1 tab but you could direct your comment to your countrymen for example by writing "FIN: ennätys!". But I'm not sure if this would be used by the players.
This doesn't really solve the same problem: it does make sure that only your countrymen will see your message but it doesn't prevent you from getting unwanted text unless everybody remembers to type the country code in front of their message (which they probably won't). In my opinion, it also seems more tedious than switching between tabs.
Another issue is that for example the German speaking players might want to chat with each other and they could do it only in the international chat.
This is true. Maybe the channels could be based on language rather than nationality. And since there are only five widely used languages (Polish, Finnish, Norwegian, German and Czech), all of these channels could even be available for everyone (a bit like here at the forums).
mask

Post by mask »

Here is only one way to solve it: let's learn polish! :D

Ok, here is one idea from me. Maybe when i click on player's name in chat, then will appear new tab with conversation with this player? And what with spectator mode? ;)
Georg Gasser

Post by Georg Gasser »

I can speak now a little bit polish because i play DSJ4 Online :D
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

mask wrote:Here is only one way to solve it: let's learn polish! :D
Hehe, yeah I already understand German and Norwegian, so if I knew Polish I could read pretty much everything. But the last time I checked a few Polish words I saw in the DSJ chat on Google Translate most of them were swear words, so maybe it's just better that I don't understand it :D.