Solution for potential future take-off issues

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
pajkul

Solution for potential future take-off issues

Post by pajkul »

As I mentioned before, with a perfect take-off, the skis can get positioned not lower than horizontally. The positioning of skis depends, in my opinion, not only on the moment of the very take-off, but even more on how fast and when you are moving the mouse. I managed to perform a perfect take-off, which allowed me to jump over 135 m without a perfect wind nor 100% correct position in the air.

Currently, if the take-off is not permormed perfectly, then the skis go up and this is what usually causes the jump to be shorter. But it could go the other way, and although I'm not a real ski jumper, I suppose the jump can get shorter by putting the skis too low right after the take-off, especially on smaller hills.

After I press the two mouse buttons, pulling the mouse down usually results in the end of the skis going up, which results in a short jump. I would like to be able to put the skis lower (just what I've shown on the screenshot) than in horizontal position after the take-off. It lowers the height of flight, the distance travelled in the air by the jumper and minimizes the air resitance, WHICH IS AN ESPECIALLY GOOD PRACTICE ON FLYING HILLS, look at how Romoeren or Evensen does it.
Unfortunately, in DSJ4 Beta 1 I can put the skis lower, but not during the very take-off, just some time after it.

Replay: http://www.sendspace.com/file/l0wzbh
the take off was a bit too late this time, but perfect in flight.

Jussi Koskela, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

If you've read the post before 1:57 P.M., read it again - I edited it.

update: I meant they never go down, so they stay horizotally or go up.
Last edited by pajkul on 24 Jan 2011, 18:03, edited 2 times in total.
Metsi

Re: Solution for potential future take-off issues

Post by Metsi »

pajkul wrote:As I mentioned before, with a perfect take-off, the skis can get positioned not lower than horizontally. The positioning of skis depends, in my opinion, not only on the moment of the very take-off, but even more on how fast and when you are moving the mouse. I managed to perform a perfect take-off, which allowed me to jump over 135 m without a perfect wind nor 100% correct position in the air.

Currently, if the take-off is not permormed perfectly, then the skis go up and this is what usually causes the jump to be shorter. But it could go the other way, and although I'm not a real ski jumper, I suppose the jump can get shorter by putting the skis too low right after the take-off, especially on smaller hills.

After I press the two mouse buttons, pulling the mouse down usually results in the end of the skis going up, which results in a short jump. I would like to be able to put the skis lower (just what I've shown on the screenshot) than in horizontal position after the take-off. It lowers the height of flight, the distance travelled in the air by the jumper and minimizes the air resitance, WHICH IS AN ESPECIALLY GOOD PRACTICE ON FLYING HILLS, look at how Romoeren or Evensen does it.
Unfortunately, in DSJ4 Beta 1 I can put the skis lower, but not during the very take-off, just some time after it.

Replay: http://www.sendspace.com/file/l0wzbh
the take off was a bit too late this time, but perfect in flight.

Jussi Koskela, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

If you've read the post before 1:57 P.M., read it again - I edited it.
Just a quick note - the reason that you skis go up is that you move the mouse down at the beginning to rapidly ;) That's of course my opinion :)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

If the skis go very high up it's usually the result of late takeoff or too strong movement of mouse.
More precise control of the early flight angles would require the ability to control the direction of the takeoff and the chest angles during the takeoff phase, which would make the gameplay too difficult.
Keberis

Re: Solution for potential future take-off issues

Post by Keberis »

pajkul wrote: I would like to be able to put the skis lower (just what I've shown on the screenshot) than in horizontal position after the take-off. It lowers the height of flight, the distance travelled in the air by the jumper and minimizes the air resitance, WHICH IS AN ESPECIALLY GOOD PRACTICE ON FLYING HILLS, look at how Romoeren or Evensen does it.
Im not 100% sure but I think you are not right. IMO no jumper is puting skis lower then horizontal. If you see a jumper going lower but with more speed (like Romoeren or Evensen) that's probably because of take off direction which is more forward.