Take-off issues

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
pajkul

Take-off issues

Post by pajkul »

I heard that some people complained about the perfect position during flight in DSJ4. If you want to jump the longest, you have to adjust the jumper's position to the one allowing for the longest jump. You can't decide on your own if you'll achieve certain lenght by flying low but with high speed, or high with a low speed, just like I was able to do in DSJ3. I guess it is somewhat connected with the fact that Jussi Koskela put here the most realistic physics of flight ever created, thus you can't pull down your skis just after the take-off to lower the height of flight, otherwise you'll crash. If you pull them up, then you lose too much speed and fall after doing 70 meters in the air.

Even though, let's say, Romoeren or Evensen fly low, they can jump pretty long because the height they achieve immediately afer the take-off is slightly lower and the distance they travel in the air is considerably shorter, thus they fly at a higher speed at the end of the jump. This height is directly indicated by the force of take-off. I suppose a take-off with certain force has only one perfect position during flight, minimizing the air resistance etc.

The perfect solution would be, in the case of DSJ4, making the take-off even more important. The force of the take-off should be connected even more directly with the moment of pressing the two mouse buttons, and the difference between the lowest force and the highest force possible to generate during the first part of the jump should be considerably bigger.

I'm not sure if this is the case in DSJ4, but I wish you could consider implementing different take-off force in future updates depending on the moment of the take-off.

I'm not the creator of the game, so I have no idea on your intentions, but I would be glad of reading your asnwer.

P.S. I bought the game, it's awesome!
Lord_Chrupek

Post by Lord_Chrupek »

clever idea, i like that. For now, inrun and take off is somehow boring,
But ive noticed that if you perform take off a little bit too late, and your skis in flight make nervous bungee rope movements, you be able to flight lower and with i think greater speed, and flight almost as long as you take off in time.

But about your idea, be useful if Jussi (its only my interpretation, so dont get me wrong) implement not force adjust of take off, but more like angle adjust of take off. Of course depending on moment that you hit mouse buttons. It could creates many different ways of jumping technique, just like in real life:)
HexTheRex

Hmm

Post by HexTheRex »

I also have idea for this inrun: it's very important to have a good balance in the inrun in real ski jumping. If it is possible to add some kind of ''balance meter'' to some later version, where you should keep the jumper in balance during the inrun to the takeoff board, it would make the game even more realistic :D Sorry for this post if it's not possible, it's just my idea how to make even more realistic game :)
- Heikki Haikonen
- Age 19
- Never used cheating

DSJ2:
- Total Length: 5260,23

DSJ3:
- Total Length 7795,67 (Finnish Record, World 4th)
- 15 Finnish records
- F3 view

DSJ4:
- Total Length 1271,97
- Online rating 1756 (WR!!!)

DSJ SuperTotal: 14326,69m
pepsiman89

Post by pepsiman89 »

i disagree with the balance meter. before we know it DSJ will turn into RTL Ski Jumping :S
FeRu

Post by FeRu »

I must agree with Pepsiman Balance metter is no nessesary and it's a "waste of fun" I think that DSJ 4 have very good balance between realism and pure fun. in beta version I don't like only three things:
1.In flight body should be a little closer to the skis
2. Landing animation sometimes is little wired :D
3. We must wait for final relase :roll:
HexTheRex

Yeah

Post by HexTheRex »

I know it would give the game maybe too much challenge, but I just thought about the realism. Of course fun is very important and at the moment DSJ4 has maybe the most realistic physics in any sport games. Maybe balance between fun and realism is more important than balance in takeoff :P
- Heikki Haikonen
- Age 19
- Never used cheating

DSJ2:

DSJ3:
- 15 Finnish records
- F3 view

DSJ4:
- Total Length 1271,97

Muga

Post by Muga »

I find the balance meter in RTL quite annoying.
But maybe a compromise between the realism and fun would help:
Balance meter only ca 1-2 sek before take-off.

OT: Malysz had a crash :(
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

DSJ is about controlling the ski jumper not a balance meter.
HexTheRex

Ok :)

Post by HexTheRex »

No problem :) Hmm another question: did you ever consider putting a ''sidemovement control'' to DSJ? I mean that player should control also skis up and down, + right and left in the air? Or would it be too hard to control the jumper? Sorry for my questions, they are probably stupid xD
- Heikki Haikonen
- Age 19
- Never used cheating

DSJ2:

DSJ3:
- 15 Finnish records
- F3 view

DSJ4:
- Total Length 1271,97

Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ok :)

Post by Jussi Koskela »

HexTheRex wrote:No problem :) Hmm another question: did you ever consider putting a ''sidemovement control'' to DSJ? I mean that player should control also skis up and down, + right and left in the air? Or would it be too hard to control the jumper?
I've tried that and it was way too difficult. Whenever you got the vertical movement right the horizontal was wrong and vice versa.
HexTheRex

Ok :)

Post by HexTheRex »

I thought so, it must be almost impossible to control the jumper successfully in the air if you must think of 4-6 different things at the same time xD
- Heikki Haikonen
- Age 19
- Never used cheating

DSJ2:

DSJ3:
- 15 Finnish records
- F3 view

DSJ4:
- Total Length 1271,97

EgyLynx

Post by EgyLynx »

just!
...Selection in progress...
holandec

Post by holandec »

pepsiman89 wrote:i disagree with the balance meter. before we know it DSJ will turn into RTL Ski Jumping :S
jap, the balance meter is what i hate the most in ski jumping games :?
DSJ the game for ME
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
HexTheRex wrote:No problem :) Hmm another question: did you ever consider putting a ''sidemovement control'' to DSJ? I mean that player should control also skis up and down, + right and left in the air? Or would it be too hard to control the jumper?
I've tried that and it was way too difficult. Whenever you got the vertical movement right the horizontal was wrong and vice versa.
Hmmm ... is it possible to add different difficulties to DSJ? A classic mode with only up/down and a "realistic mode" for hardcore gamers with left/right? I hope you've written down my idea of that small extra window at the top right corner of the screen where the jumper is shown from behind so that the jumper can be corrected left/right if necessary. That should usually only happen when there is sidewind or when the take-off isn't well balanced - apart from those situations, there shouldn't be any reason to do left/right corrections anyway.

So, if you still have that version with side controls around ... is there any chance you might consider sharing that version with a small number of voluntary test jumpers? :wink:
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

EyTschej wrote:
Jussi Koskela wrote:
Hmmm ... is it possible to add different difficulties to DSJ? A classic mode with only up/down and a "realistic mode" for hardcore gamers with left/right? I hope you've written down my idea of that small extra window at the top right corner of the screen where the jumper is shown from behind so that the jumper can be corrected left/right if necessary. That should usually only happen when there is sidewind or when the take-off isn't well balanced - apart from those situations, there shouldn't be any reason to do left/right corrections anyway.

So, if you still have that version with side controls around ... is there any chance you might consider sharing that version with a small number of voluntary test jumpers? :wink:
right and left movements on the keyboard is an idea...