Fast takeoff

Discussion about the hill records, jumping techniques and replays.
Bjørsherino

Fast takeoff

Post by Bjørsherino »

Hey guys

I have been playing Deluxe skijump 4 for the past 10 years now. I have a aching desire to understand how some of you are able to get the skis up tou your bodies right after you take off. I have decent jumps to begin with, but i would really like to know that technique.

I understand that it has something to with DPI, and the sensivity in the game itself, but simply dont understand how to master the technique.

I hope you can give me some pointers!
Stellalucy0092

Re: Fast takeoff

Post by Stellalucy0092 »

Horizontal speed of the takeoff (speed across the ice)
Most jumps can be executed from a standing takeoff, both on and off the ice. Skating, however is about movement over the ice, and jumps on ice should takeoff and land with speed. The greater the speed of the takeoff, the more precise the timing and coordination required to takeoff without losing any of that speed. Also, the more complex the footwork and movements preceding the takeoff, the greater the coordination and control required to complete the jump. Jumps should land and flow out with nearly the same speed with which they took off. Jumps that are landed correctly will not lose significant horizontal speed in the act of landing. Jumps which come to a screeching halt at the takeoff or impale the ice on the landing suffer from serious errors in technique that cannot be ignored in judging them no matter how high the jump or how many rotations are executed.

While the speed at the takeoff of a jump can impact the effectiveness with which a skater executes the takeoff - and thus the height of the jump - in ice skating very little of a skater's horizontal speed actually is converted into vertical speed to increase the height of a jump. For this reason the analogy to pole vaulting used in describing tap jumps is not particularly accurate. In pole vaulting the energy of the horizontal motion of the vaulter is briefly converted to potential energy by bending the pole nearly in half. When released this energy is converted to vertical speed to attain height in the vault. The degree to which blades, boots, and the skater's body can "bend" to store potential energy, however, is limited, and thus limits the extent to which the skater gets a vaulting action in a tap jump.