Help with takeoff and flight

Discussion about the hill records, jumping techniques and replays.
saxoni

Help with takeoff and flight

Post by saxoni »

Hey,

I'm in desperate need of some tips and tricks. I've been playing the game for about a week, and I'm still struggling to have a consistent takeoff. I'm doing decent at ski flying, where I usually land at around 210 meters on Planica, but on normal and large hills I just can't do it. I don't really know what I'm doing wrong here, but I just can't seem to get enough power at takeoff, and I usually have a very unstable flight, making me land 10-15 meters behind K. My mouse have both buttons on the same level, and I'm almost 100% sure I'm hitting them at the same time; whenever I don't I can clearly tell by the unbalanced flight of the jumper.

I'd also like some help with the flight technique. Do you guys constantly drag the mouse downwards in order to keep the jumper in the same posture, or do you just make small adjustments both up and down? I'm really at a loss, and I'm feeling the frustration building up. If you have any videos showing the most successful techniques it would be most appreciated if you'd share them with me.

That being said, this is a fantastic game, and I'd love to at least somehow master it.

Thank you,
saXoni.
MJumper

Re: Help with takeoff and flight

Post by MJumper »

The best thing you can do is to upload a replay so we can analyze that. It's very hard to know what exactly you are doing wrong just by this description.

Some tips though:
saxoni wrote: I just can't seem to get enough power at takeoff
Sounds to me like you're either not pressing both buttons simultaneously enough (but you said you do, try another mouse just to be sure) or you're taking off a bit too late.
and I usually have a very unstable flight
You didn't state your sensitivity settings but I'm guessing they are too high. Most high level players (as far as I know) use very low sensitivity as it helps reduce unstability and makes your jumping more consistent overall.
Do you guys constantly drag the mouse downwards in order to keep the jumper in the same posture
Yes.
If you have any videos showing the most successful techniques it would be most appreciated if you'd share them with me.
You can watch replays of the top 100 jumps in each hill through the Records menu in-game.

By the way, this game does have a pretty tough learning curve and it really requires some practice, much more than a few weeks. I've played for several years and I still feel like I need to improve.