How to

Discussion about the hill records, jumping techniques and replays.
sunset_rider

How to

Post by sunset_rider »

I'm a bit embarressed to say this, but I honestly don't understand the new control.
My jumper either is quite upright in the air and possibly falling on his back most times. Or he does a front flip, if I try to accelerate and take the speed with my jump from the table.

Jussi's instructions say that one should gently move the mouse down. Well, I do that totally gently, but the jumper keeps doing frontflips after the Ski touched his shoulders.
I practised 2 hours or so. Not much time, but I don't see any improvement in my jumps.

I would really appreciate any hints of you, who already understand the new control system.
Thanks in advance.

Would love to start with DSJ4, because - as far as I can say from the one jump that met the K-point - it must be a new and more satisfying experience than it was ever before.
sb103

:)

Post by sb103 »

I could say practice practice and it's true but hmm. I just feel when my jumper going a little down during flight then i'm moving mouse a little up and keeping "optimal position". If You already saw some replays You can see which position is good.
And very important thing is position after take off, if You'll mess this up control during flight will be a little more difficult(for beginners) but if You'll be able to keep good position during most jumps it won't be hard anyway.
You can try this on different sensitivity and choose one that is the best for You. Some people prefer 1.0 with 800 dpi, some 3.0 etc. :)
If I can advice something:
1st jump after take off don't move mouse just watch Your ski jumper (if You had back flip or normal jmp don't worry, if You had front flip - You propably moved a mouse or You have too high sensitivity)
2nd after take off move mouse a little down and stop. keep optimal position, if You see that You're going to make a backflip move mouse a little down again and keep position, don't move mouse during whole flight, move mouse just to keep Your optimal position.
anyway good luck
Aerotal

Post by Aerotal »

Takeoff: as late as possible (but not that late that u dont get any strength to the takeoff)

After takeoff: dont move ur mouse until ur skis are little bit over horizontal and then move ur mouse gently down.

Flying: keep ur skis little bit over horizontal all the time
Dan Ionescu

Post by Dan Ionescu »

I push the mouse up immediately after takeoff. Maybe that's why I only jump average in length...
sunset_rider

Post by sunset_rider »

Thanks for the hints. Helped me a lot. :)

Controlling the jumper while flying is understood now. I still wonder how the take off works. Like Dan (above) I get my best results when pushing gently upside to minimize the updraft of the Ski. But doing so, I cut my jump off. (I don't know if that's the right impression in English, but I think you know what I mean.)
If I wait for the Ski, there's too much time lost while I don't gain any speed and loose height at the same time.

Do you have any advice for me. I would be satisfied to reach at least K-Point with front-wind.

(@Jussi: Anyway, I like the new system. Much better than the old one and nice graphics also for a game programmed by a single person!)
Kukavica

Post by Kukavica »

hehe..it was the same to me XD...always when i jumped i fell on my back or my head...then i figure it out that you mustn't take your mouse so much down...i'm a good jumper now :D
Leper Messiah TR

Re: How to

Post by Leper Messiah TR »

I can't figure this shit out and I'm tired of trying.

dsj is dead to me :x
TPo

Re: How to

Post by TPo »

Leper Messiah TR wrote:I can't figure this shit out and I'm tired of trying.

dsj is dead to me :x
Then stop playing it? The arcade controls (fixed ski position) of DSJ3 ain't coming back :wink: IMO DSJ4 is much easier, because theres generally only one style to fly...
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup