Jumping Tips

Discussion about the hill records, jumping techniques and replays.
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

I get the FRONTflip immediately after take-off. I can land only if I press 2 buttons right after take-off... The jumper leans frontwards no matter what I'm doing, I push the mouse down but it has no impact of jumper's actions, he just desperately wants to make a somersault so I can't do anything.

It looks totally different from those "backflips" presented.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.multiupload.com/KYZDA6KULK

Am I doing something wrong? I know it takes time to get used to a new game. I remember when I first jumped in DSJ3 after I jumped in DSJ2 and I thought I'd never reach K-point. Now I can easily jump in DSJ3 and I can't jump in DSJ2. Anyway, nothing like this ever happened during my first jumps in DSJ3. :cry: For me it looks like a bug because I can't do anything to prevent this "frontflip".
Last edited by doubleffect on 01 Feb 2011, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
DSJ3 Personal best: 314.0m (Slovenia)
DSJ4 Personal best: 196.5m (Planica) (what a great jump that was!...)
sb103

Post by sb103 »

doubleffect wrote:I get the FRONTflip immediately after take-off. I can land only if I press 2 buttons right after take-off... The jumper leans frontwards no matter what I'm doing, I push the mouse down but it has no impact of jumper's actions, he just desperately wants to make a somersault so I can't do anything.

It looks totally different from those "backflips" presented.
My first jump ever in dsj4 was like this :) problem was that during take off I moved mouse a little. So I made my second jump without moving mouse during take off and during flight... jump still wasn't good but front flip problem dissapeared. So when take off was good the only thing to repair was position during flight etc. :)
Anyway tell me your sensitivity, dpi and show me a replay.
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

At first I left mouse sensitivity as default 3.0. Then I tried 10.0 but the same thing happens.

And my dpi? What impact on this do dots per inch have? Anyway, I have no idea. :oops: I only know the resolution. It's 1280x960 (4:3) but it's pixels.

Here is my jump.

http://www.multiupload.com/KYZDA6KULK

What I did after take-off (pressing 2 buttons obviously) was pushing my mouse towards me all the way. Anyway, good to know it's not some bug. Well, if it were, then others would get it too as it can't be hardware here.

EDIT: Now I guess I know what you mean by not moving mouse at all. Then the jumper simply doesn't take off and lands himself.

I changed mouse sensitivity to 1.0 thinking 3.0 is too much (maybe you have to move your mouse by 1mm to control the jump...). But that didn't help. I tried to be more "delicate" and it ended with the jumper flipping back as seen in maciej53 replays. Then I tried to behave more aggressively to get some length (but keeping in mind I will flip frontwards if I do it like I did at the beginning). No can do, at 1.0 sensitivity minor moves towards me, i.e. so the jumper is leaning out, cause flipping frontwards. I guess I've got a lot of practice to do... And that's bad because it seems DSJ4 is quite different in steering and I don't really want to stop playing DSJ3 (I'm not really that good but it's just for fun, right?). I like jumping in single player mode when I get back home from my uni. :roll:
bulwa11

Post by bulwa11 »

go down to 1.0.... 10 is ridicoulous ;) its impossible to jump with 10.0
Basadoni

Post by Basadoni »

bulwa11 wrote:go down to 1.0.... 10 is ridicoulous ;) its impossible to jump with 10.0
On my mouse between 1.0 and 10.0 is no difference, respectively i am not feeling any difference.
sb103

Post by sb103 »

what is your mouse name ?:P
I have for example 1600 dpi and sensitivity in dsj4 1.0 = it's perfect for me.
Earlier I had mouse 800dpi sens in dsj4 3.0, sometimes even 5.0 and it was also good.
But this is me, everyone is different.
About your replay it's too big sensitivity.
Put on 1.0 in practice setting and keep jumping, if You will have problem after 30 min You can show another replay with 1.0 sensitivity.
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

My replay is from the jump when I set mouse sensitivity to 1.0. Like I said mouse sensitivity has no real impact in my jumps.

I've got a A4 Tech optical mouse, it connects via PS/2 port (I also have a USB Logitech mouse but it's broken so I have to use this one). I don't know its dpi. :roll:
sb103

Post by sb103 »

doubleffect wrote:My replay is from the jump when I set mouse sensitivity to 1.0. Like I said mouse sensitivity has no real impact in my jumps.

I've got a A4 Tech optical mouse, it connects via PS/2 port (I also have a USB Logitech mouse but it's broken so I have to use this one). I don't know its dpi. :roll:
strange this jump looks like too big sensitivity but I can't believe that You have more than 1600 dpi :P Anyway in control panel/mouse right click pointer option something like that etc. slow your mouse a bit (it's windows mouse sensitivity)but it'll be working in dsj4 too. I jsut checked this.

here someone show print screen:
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu34 ... led-21.png
TPo

Post by TPo »

I use 1600 dpi with 3.0 sensitivity :wink: I like it this way; even 1mm movement matters much.
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
Federico

Re: Jumping Tips

Post by Federico »

Martin Kafka wrote:
Schnitzel wrote:I tried all sensities between 1.0 and 10.0 and it seems it has no effect on the jumper.
A lot of people can't or don't want to understand that desperate twiddling with dpi or sensitivity settings WILL NOT miraculously improve their jumping.
You still have to actually learn the proper technique of take-off and flight which is something that can be achieved only by intense training.
If you still make flips and land on 70m, it's not because of wrong settings. It's because you still have some practice to do.
Those of us who played dsj3 a long time will naturally need more time to get used to it.
Unfortunately it's just a problem of the PC and not of settings. Using the same mouse and setting and changing the PC I get totally different performances. At home I just can't jump using 1 as mouse speed setting. Using the same mouse at office I can jump without falling down once on 4 jumps, gaining points and higher taking off altitude.The fact is that the game depends on how the PC deals with the mouse. At home I ought use a 100 dpi mouse to take off correctly. As I breath the jumper falls down. At office I can easily correct the jumper position moving slowly the mouse during the take off and I won't fall. Of course it's also a matter of training but training it's unusefull if you simply can't move the mouse at all even using 1 as mouse speed level.

Post by doubleffect »

Well, I finally jumped over K-point so it's a matter of practice. However, I don't like the position jumpers take in air, it just doesn't seem natural. I guess that's one of the reasons why so many people had problems getting used to steering after playing in DSJ3. Well, here the jumper is not stiff anymore (in DSJ3 it was perfectly seen during strange falls) when he lands but at the same time he's unnatural in the air. Just my humble opinion. I've never been a master of either DSJ2 or DSJ3 but somehow I could do alright there, it's more intuitive for me.

I don't know. We'll see where it'll lead us.