Start light time reduced to 5 seconds in DSJ4 Online

General discussion about DSJ4.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Start light time reduced to 5 seconds in DSJ4 Online

Post by Jussi Koskela »

I have now reduced the start light time to 5 seconds on all DSJ4 Online servers.
SoBo

Re: Start light time reduced to 5 seconds in DSJ4 Online

Post by SoBo »

Jussi Koskela wrote:I have now reduced the start light time to 5 seconds on all DSJ4 Online servers.
It doesn't change anything, unless it change wind direction same for 5 sec for all of playes, and wind force will will not change more than 0.2, then it will be fair
PEAK : 1946

Online Total length 3531.47m
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

It makes waiting time 5 seconds shorter. :)
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

Jussi Koskela wrote:It makes waiting time 5 seconds shorter. :)
When you understand that wind settings are "unfair" in an online game, then you will know what am I writing about :) The Offline games is greate, but i'm talking about online, and that's another story.In every online game developers are set all the same for players, and you did the same, but not in real time, and here's the problem.Differences in the strength and direction of the wind, are too big, in competition at the highest level of playing.Time reduction from 10 sec to 5 sec great option, which will not change anything, if we talking about "windwaiters".

Mariusz Paweł

Post by Mariusz Paweł »

The player will wait until 0.1 seconds and the difference will be from 0.1-1.0 on the one who started with 5 seconds, so at high level it is completely unplayable rule. And people write to keep it real, but in reality a jumper has 30 seconds on the beam and he will move when he is allowed to because of safety reasons...
So let's not compare the reality to the game, shortening the time will give a fair development of the tournament, and so far, unfortunately, what is happening now is that you can jump only "for fun", not for competition.
I have already written this problem many times and it was ignored long before the update.

Mariusz Paweł [POL]
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

The main reason for the reduction of start light time was to raise the pace of the jumping. Less waiting, more playing.

Whether there should or shouldn't be factor of randomness in the game due to wind and style points is another question.
Dotch

Post by Dotch »

Thank you, Jussi! Very good decision!
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

Jussi Koskela wrote:The main reason for the reduction of start light time was to raise the pace of the jumping. Less waiting, more playing.

Whether there should or shouldn't be factor of randomness in the game due to wind and style points is another question.

Of course not, Wind strength difference it should not exceed 0.2 m / s, no difference when you go , same points for style with "similar jumps" there is too much difference, in my opinion when jumping beyond k-point i understand difference about 0.5 pts for telemark, but I don't understand like someone makes mouse movement forward, and for that style is 20.It has always ruined the game, same "gibbon",I personally would like it to be removed, I know it is difficult , but setting the wind and changing style points is simple, but unfortunately the people you work with, they will be on because they are the ones who decide about the game, and they will not want changes like that.But they will want the gibbon removed, because they have not W'Rs, Total Lenghts.

Ddditional question.Why the day after TDD, online game conditions have changed ?Someone was pushing you to set 100% snow to TDD? You see these are the arguments, doing something for someone in an online game is unfair.You know what I mean, but remember it looks bad.

Xinitiao

Post by Xinitiao »

Jussi Koskela wrote:Whether there should or shouldn't be factor of randomness in the game due to wind and style points is another question.
I think there should be some degree of randomness, both to stay true to real life and to give less skilled people a little bigger chance to score a good result once in a while. Its hard enough to get into top50 in tournaments during winter, and over time the luck factor tends to even out, we always see the same people on top of the results at the end of every tournament.
SoBo wrote: unfortunately the people you work with, they will be on because they are the ones who decide about the game, and they will not want changes like that.But they will want the gibbon removed, because they have not W'Rs, Total Lenghts.
I wonder who are you talking about, because 3 members of the Gorisek Bros. are in world top10 of Total Length and have 4 WRs on Jussi's hills :lol:
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

SoBo wrote:Ddditional question.Why the day after TDD, online game conditions have changed ?Someone was pushing you to set 100% snow to TDD? You see these are the arguments, doing something for someone in an online game is unfair.You know what I mean, but remember it looks bad.
Snow melts in (original) DSJ4 hills on the 90th day of year ±15 days by random, so we were lucky even to have snow for every hill on the last day of TDD. I didn't remember to ensure that there would be snow.
Please don't be so suspicious. I try to make decisions that are good for the game as a whole.
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
SoBo wrote:Ddditional question.Why the day after TDD, online game conditions have changed ?Someone was pushing you to set 100% snow to TDD? You see these are the arguments, doing something for someone in an online game is unfair.You know what I mean, but remember it looks bad.
Snow melts in (original) DSJ4 hills on the 90th day of year ±15 days by random, so we were lucky even to have snow for every hill on the last day of TDD. I didn't remember to ensure that there would be snow.
Please don't be so suspicious. I try to make decisions that are good for the game as a whole.
Weird.I have been playing online since 2013 and always only in the middle of the season it's 100% snow :)November green, March green (around the hill ),and this year somehow so white, hmm maybe I'm too old and I can't see well, your right :)

Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

SoBo wrote: Weird.I have been playing online since 2013 and always only in the middle of the season it's 100% snow :)November green, March green (around the hill ),and this year somehow so white, hmm maybe I'm too old and I can't see well, your right :)
You can refresh your memory for example from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tf5vM45hFk
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

I'll close this topic since it's getting 100% off-topic.
Couple of inappropriate posts removed.