Tail Wind in online investigation

General discussion about DSJ4.
iwo1333

Tail Wind in online investigation

Post by iwo1333 »

Hi, today in Marathon I investigated the wind in the on-line. A number of players were complaining that there is much more tail wind than front wind, especially in on-line competitions. All I did was count up the competitions with tail and front wind, I tried to go either side but I had to leave out a few competitions because the wind was either from the side and not not moving or the wind speed did not exceed 0.2 m/s at any moment. Here are the results:

Front wind : 42 competitions (44%)
Neutral wind : 14 competitions (15%)
Tail Wind : 40 competitions (42%)

*Percentages add up to 101% because I had to round them up.

The results show that the ratio between tail and front wind is about 1:1. Of course my results don't show the speed of the wind but saying "its tail wind 90% of the time" is utter nonsense.

Good night.
MJumper

Re: Tail Wind in online investigation

Post by MJumper »

I think the people who complain don't consider anything less than 1.5m/s at 180° ± 30° (meaning: the kind of wind that enables HS+ jumps in most hills) as headwind. Still, nice reasearch :D. The only improvement would be to calculate the average effective wind speed, i.e. speed*cos(angle), and check that it should be close to 0 (though the people who complain would probably want it at -1 or less).

But yeah, I too am getting really tired of people sarcastically going "thx Jussi" every time there is a tailwind. Hopefully this will make some of them stop...