The future of DSJ

General discussion about DSJ4.
Szymon11

Re: The future of DSJ

Post by Szymon11 »

Martin, you wrote the crux of whole discussion.
According to your words of wisedom, we ought to appreciate Jussi's work and what we have, because DSJ4 is really extensive game, whereas that it has been created by one person. Of course DSJ4 can't reach EA Sports games' richness but just now we have the best ski jumping game which was ever done. Have you ever tried playing RTL's ski jump games? They are tempting players with their fine graphic, widely developed career mode and many other things, but they hadn't never been such playable as DSJ's series. That's why those games collapsed...

I can't understand people who complain all the time in this way: "Why didn't you make it? It want it! Just do it! I've paid for your stupid game!!!!!". This is really immatur attitude.
At the end I want say thank you to Jussi for his amazing work and express my willingness to keep alive DSJ, even I would have to pay for further development.
Peak: 1835
Total length offline: 3535.16 m
Total length online: 3500.20 m
Former online world record holder: Wisła.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!
Austrian_Skijumpfan_94

Post by Austrian_Skijumpfan_94 »

I really like to spend money to Jussi, keeping DSJ allive would be great.
Szymon11

Post by Szymon11 »

I'd like to support DSJ from three reasons:
1.I live on the lowlands so I will be never able to experience real ski jumping, whereas DSJ makes my wish partly met.
2.When I play online I feel like a real jumper, I know it might sounds funny, but trust me; everyone can become a virtual star through practising a lot.
3.If you wanna become a sportsman (not only skijumper), you must have suitable conditions for it; money and of course be such a talented man. In DSJ and any other "e-sports" you have to have a mouse, pad or a keyboard, small amount of money to begin by buying game or additionally bought given promotion, subscription, etc; as always some free time is needed to become better and better.
I want Jussi to know that he always can count on us - players. I am sure there are some of us who deeply esteem your effort and are eager to help you in keeping this game alive, accetuating it would be even paid.
Peak: 1835
Total length offline: 3535.16 m
Total length online: 3500.20 m
Former online world record holder: Wisła.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!
SuperAdo111

Post by SuperAdo111 »

As someone that grew up with this game, I can only say: Hats off to you Jussi, just hats off and one big respect. I am not really active nowdays as I used to be few years/months ago, but you can only blame my real life for it. Just as Martin said in his great post, this game is seasonal and it cannot be changed. It's just like that. You're either fan of Ski Jumping or not. You're either buying DSJ/Subscription regulary or not. It's just like that. You'll hardly see anyone that didn't find out this game already buying it in summer. Of course, I do not say that no one else buys it now, but it's just off-season and as two Martins (and Jussi) said and as it's normal, understandable, fair decision not to release any update during it (I didn't read the previous 9 pages, nor the Jussi's main reason not to update the game over the summer and I apologize for that, but my time is limited now and therefore it's understandable).

It's just funny how the guys that are here for years still keep asking the same questions. I mean, this isn't supposed to be a disrespectful message, but do you realize that you, the same group of people/members/users asked the same kind of questions for a million times already. And yes, that's what I, the guy who isn't active at all on this forum for quite a long time now, noticed. "When we're going to get new hills", "When we're going to get better graphics", "When we're going to get that and that...". Of course everyone (literally), including me, would like to see more hills & bunch of new features such as Career, 3D CPU Jumps and stuff like that which would, without any doubt make this game better, but have you ever thought about the one fact that was already said million times and that I am going to repeat once again - Jussi is just a human and it is the only ONE. ONE. ONE person that works on this game and its developement.

Now, when I wrote this above, think about Jussi's time. Even although he mentioned few years/months ago that this is his primary job and that most probably (it's possible that it's changed over the years, I don't know) "all" (yeah...all...) of the money that he recieves from DSJ are his main income in terms of "salary" or call it whatever you want. I understand that I won't change anything with this post, but I just wanted to take my 5 minutes and to write this kind of support post. Thanks once again, Jussi.

If someone from Serbia (that didn't even have paypal until a year ago) could pay for DSJ (even additional 20 euros that I had to pay for bank transfer before we got Paypal) & Subscription regulary (Just as MG, I'd pay even more if it was, just to support you and your work), I don't see any problem why wouldn't you do the same thing.

Also, as I am now more active on another forums (I am amateur cyclist & cycling devotee) I decided to use my DSJ knowledge and love and made 3 guys buy it for quite a short time (I didn't force them, it was opposite actually). I also started some kind of fictional story/career (with my English improving, I fell in love with writing) which is going really nice so far. Not cheap advertising there, just to show you that expanding this game (3 new buyers in a week is like 60 euros which is once again not much, but still better than nothing) isn't really hard, if you take some of your time in it and if you really love this game. Check out both links below and you'll see what I am talking about:

#1 Deluxe Ski Jump 4 thread on another forum (not sure whether I am allow to post its name) ; 2 Deluxe Ski Jump 4 story/career on the same forum

Kudos, Cheers & Thanks to you, once again, Jussi. I'm off now. :)
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

It's nice to read about DSJ on another forum ...because people are saying mostly nice things. This forum, as long as I've been here, has seemed mostly like some kind of customer complaint department, and not much like the supporting community I'd wish it were (ok, I don't read the Polish subforum, maybe it's different). Really, people only seem to come here to either demand stuff or to show off. Has the activity always been so self-centered or did I just join too late?

Advertising the game on other (probably mainly sports or gaming related) forums might have been a good idea, although now it probably doesn't matter anymore. Still, nice to see that someone's doing it :).

EDIT: If I didn't make it clear enough earlier, I'd also like to excplicitly thank Jussi for this game. I sure have spent a lot of time on it, and I've had some great fun doing so. As long as the servers are running, I'll make my self seen at least during winter season, cheers :).
Bartek Palewicz

Post by Bartek Palewicz »

Well, if we're all sharing our feelings about this game, i'd say something too.
I'd like this game to get better because i like it very much. That game is already amazing but it would need some more content to not get boring so quickly. That's my opinion after 3 years of playing this game.
Anyway, I also want to thank Mr. Koskela for his work on this game.
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Jussi, you did nice job, thank you so much :)

My opinion about future is: Keep doing something new if there don't exist any interesting thing. I don't really care what is this, but for me would be still nice. But you should know one thing: money is not really important. More important is keeping players satisfacted. For me is not problem, as I have break for this game. For me, online game is your the biggest success! But look - some players need Vikersund and in their opinion it will be the biggest your success. In my opinion, it's not problem. Do everything what is in your opinion important and don't forget about community.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
SuperAdo111

Post by SuperAdo111 »

MJumper wrote: Advertising the game on other (probably mainly sports or gaming related) forums might have been a good idea, although now it probably doesn't matter anymore. Still, nice to see that someone's doing it :).
Indeed, that was the point of it. I love this game and I wanted to show it to some other people, so I made the thread about it (it's a big community, 95k registered users). It's not really like it doesn't matter anymore, as I noted that already 3 guys bought it in one week and there are few interested, too. I think it's good for such a site, as most of the guys are from Netherlands & Belgium there, which has absolutely no connection to Ski Jumping. It can really help Jussi & game and it's nothing for me. Other should do the same, I guess (mainly on big community sites, post the thread about it in off-topic subforums and that's it). Glad that you didn't see it as a cheap advertisement for me or site, as it wasn't like that definitely.

What I'd like to see in the future is Career (offline) mode. I don't think it would be too hard to implement (oh, of course it's hard, but with all of these things we do have currently...) and slightly develop it. For the start, just make calendar and apply usual snow/no snow scale that's used in Practice (snow is there from October to March and there's no snow during summer/spring and during off-season), years, possibility to develop, form and small things like that. If there's any interest in this and if you're interested to do this in near future Jussi , I'd be here to help with ideas/graphics and whatever I can do.
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

SuperAdo111 wrote: Other should do the same, I guess (mainly on big community sites, post the thread about it in off-topic subforums and that's it).
You're right that it can't hurt of course, I meant that it probably won't change Jussi's situation in any remarkable way though. Anyway, if I were a bit more involved at some other appropriate forum I might do the same. I do read a lot of forums but I rarely post much (well, except here): somehow I just don't see myself posting something this off-topic if I don't feel like "part of a community". It's stupid, of course, and you're doing the right thing I think.
possibility to develop, form and small things like that.
No offense but I think that would be against the nature of the game. In a skill based game, you develop form by actually practicing, that's part of what's so great about DSJ. Only improvement the game really needs is more online players... (well, additionally, maybe a GUI update wouldn't hurt, the dark blue feels kind of heavy, but that's like ...really trivial). But as I already said, I'm happy with the game as it is, and most games don't have this much work put into them after initial release anyway.
SuperAdo111

Post by SuperAdo111 »

That's true Martin, but I was talking about offline and possible Career mode. It definitely shouldn't be implemented online.
J.MIRO

Post by J.MIRO »

So there is no chance for any new version of DSJ4?
Bjørn Andre Monsen

Post by Bjørn Andre Monsen »

any nevv hills?
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Maybe in "not-well-known" future might be remade flying hills Planica and Bad Mitterndorf because in real life they are under enlargement. But we should wait what Jussi write.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
Bartek Palewicz

Post by Bartek Palewicz »

Areen wrote:There will be no new hills in DSJ ;)
Where did you get that info? If you're such a smart guy, give us some source...
davisp

Post by davisp »

Bartek Palewicz wrote:
Areen wrote:There will be no new hills in DSJ ;)
Where did you get that info? If you're such a smart guy, give us some source...
Jussi said in this thread that it's not very likely
World Record Holder for 5 minutes