Need help to be better

General discussion about DSJ4.
Glenn

Need help to be better

Post by Glenn »

Hello ski jumpers! i really love ski jumping and now i found this game and i love it i will maybe buy it. But i need help to be better i am noob to it and if someone is fresh to help me over skype. Or give me some tips/trick to being a better ski jumper. I am from Denmark.
Danish ski jumper
Thomas Morgenstren<3
My dream is to try/see ski jumping in real life
akkarbelling

Re: Need help to be better

Post by akkarbelling »

Welcome to this forum! Good to see more people from the Nordic countries here
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Thank you !:) lets hope i can get someone from Denmark to play it more :) Its not so popular there. it :)
Danish ski jumper
Thomas Morgenstren<3
My dream is to try/see ski jumping in real life
akkarbelling

Post by akkarbelling »

No I can understand that ski jumping is not so popular in Denmark :) I hope someone else can answer your question. I mostly play DSJ 3, and I am not very good at DSJ 4 myself
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

If you want to learn there's really just one trick to it: practice, practice, practice.
For example, I have about 79000 jumps since the jump statistics appeared and that's probably not very much compared to the "real pros".

There are four crucial parts of the jump: takeoff, early flight, mid-to-late flight and landing. If one of these fails, your whole jump will be useless.

In the takeoff you need to do a balanced jump (both buttons at the same time) and hit the ramp not too soon & not too late. The precise right time to jump varies slightly between hills. The takeoff might sound easy but after years of playing, it is still the hardest for me. It is the part that is the most affected by mental factors: concentration and self confidence.

In the early flight you have to reach the right position as soon as possible. If you reach position too slowly you won't go far. But on the other hand if you lean forward too aggressively you will completely ruin the rest of your jump. This requires a lot of practice (and I still have problems with it). Start pulling the mouse down immediately at (not after) takeoff. This movement should be fast and short, but also smooth and a seamless transition into the next flying stage:

In mid to late flight you just have to keep the optimal flight position (again, it varies between hills). It requires a slow and steady, very light constant pulling down of the mouse through the whole flight. If you neglect working to maintain position you will stall or even start falling backwards. On the other hand, if you lean too much forward you will go down too soon. A strong head wind allows you to be a bit more aggressive and will make you go farther.

The landing is relatively easy (except 220+ meters in Bad Mitterndorf :P), just start early (but not too early) and make a nice telemark by pressing only one mouse button. You should get 19+ style points for telemarks. If you are going very far, don't risk the telemark and do a two foot landing instead.

That's a lot of info to digest: the most important advice is to just jump, jump, jump...
Playing online gives you an idea of how well you should be jumping, but you need the full version for that.
Watching replays and trying to mimic them is a good way to start.

Good luck and welcome to the DSJ community!