Online stat calculator

General discussion about DSJ4.
MJumper

Online stat calculator

Post by MJumper »

Hello,

I was a litte bored the last couple of weeks so I made a small web application for comparing and tracking different stats of DSJ players :).
You can try it out at http://stats4dsj.pythonanywhere.com.

I think I should tell you that this is the first web app I've ever made (I'm new to web apps but not to programming in general), so you'll have to excuse the not-so-fanciness of it for now. Before I started I only knew very little html and pretty much nothing about https requests and all that. The program itself is made with Python (2.7) which I learned earlier this spring :). I hope you will enjoy it, I thought it might be fun once winter season kicks in.

Now begins the sales pitch:

FEATURES:
  • Perform queries and rank players based on the results
  • Histogram shows the distribution of the query results
  • Progress graph shows player development history
  • Select and highlight up to five players and compare their results
  • You can bookmark the page for viewing later (includes player comparison and date, if you select "Most recent" it will show the results for the most recently updated date)
See the info page for further details and instructions.

KNOWN BUGS AND ISSUES:
  • The uploader cannot fully validate input for the different total length categories (because the text elements of the records pages don't contain any clues about which kind of total length is being shown). Therefore, the only things I can do are to check that the string "Total Length" appears in the texts and that the longest weekly length is no longer than the longest monthly length etc.
PLANNED IMPROVEMENTS:
I am open to suggestions on additional features, but I'd like to keep it as a small simple app (that fits on one page).

Please try it out and tell me what you think. Do note that it's hosted for free on pythonanywhere and that there might be some limits because of this. If you want to run the app locally or if you want to host the app or you think you can improve it, send me a PM so I can email the program to you or something.
Last edited by MJumper on 10 Oct 2014, 17:02, edited 4 times in total.
MJumper

Re: Online stat calculator

Post by MJumper »

The app now has its own help page, so I removed most of the boring details from the OP.
I also fixed a few small bugs and added two new calculations.

Is anyone interested in this or am I just doing it for myself? I mean, I can see that people have been checking the site out, but nobody has commented on it dispite the fact that there have been some pretty obvious bugs earlier.
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

I don't know if I need more stats than dsjtournaments has to offer. Anyway I tried it a little bit but it didn't feel intuitive enough at the time. I should give it a another try with more time and thought :)
That's gotta hurt.
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Well, that's actualy some quite valuable feedback right there. I guess it has that typical property of programmer designed UIs: it's intuitive if you already know how it works... I suspect that my help file might be a tad too technical for the average user as well. I also made my own typical mistake of advertising something before it was working properly :roll: .

By the way, this is in no way intended to compete with the excellent dsjtournaments, and, in addition to the fact that it deals with another kind of stats, it has a quite different philosophy, too. You don't need to check stats4dsj after every tournament because almost nothing will change within such a small time frame. But when some more time has passed, it might be interesting to check one's development as a player over, say, a year or so. That's the basic idea of it. I understand, of course, that not everyone is a statistics freak and that's totally fine.

But hey, thanks anyway! In the end, this started as a small past time project for my own enjoyment and it still is. I'm basically doing this as an excercise for myself, which is why not everything is polished and perfect. If someone likes using the app that's great, but it's not neccessary because I'm going to enjoy developing it anyway :).
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

The app has been updated to include online records. It might be a bit buggy so if anyone notices anything strange, just tell me.

I decided to store only weekly, monthly and all time online total length.

EDIT: User interface is now more flexible: it is now possible to search for players in the player list and choose players by clicking on their names in the list (javascript required for these features).
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Updated the site for next season, hopefully someone will use it :) .
The app should now be much more intuitive to use (I hope) and also looks a bit nicer. I think the page loads a bit faster as well.

NEW FEATURES:
  • New, more pleasant (hopefully) color scheme
  • Elements positioned and sized more logically
  • Elements and font sizes scale depending on window size (where appropriate)
  • Searching in the player list no longer requires pressing a button
  • Clicking a player's name in the player list will add them to histogram and history graph (reloads page)
  • The page has a message box where I post news (so that I don't have to post one-liners in this thread)
  • Hovering over the datapoints in the history graph shows more info
URLs are a bit different, so old bookmarks won't work (sorry).
I also deleted the data from 2013 to save space. If anyone wants it, I'll upload it back.

Please report any other bugs you might discover.

I will be uploading stats once a week until the season begins, then maybe twice a week. Have fun using the app (or not using it :mrgreen: )!