Improving CPU Jumpers

General discussion about DSJ4.
pepsiman89

Improving CPU Jumpers

Post by pepsiman89 »

one of the things that is bothering me, the CPU jumpers.
not only do they fall too often, they dont represent the rankings set to their name. what im talking about is - a CPU with a rank of 1000 beats a CPU with a rank of 1400 waaay too often, i realize this is due to statistics, but is there no way of reducing the amount of falls and making them actually jump as good as their ranking indicates?
Zmaster

Re: Improving CPU Jumpers

Post by Zmaster »

I don't know how often CPU's can be adjusted, but it is clear that the level of jumping has increased in all aspects (distance, style, consistency) compared to the date when the data had been gathered for CPU players.

Also you have to keep in mind that when you jump with CPU's the wind conditions are different for each jumper - the data gathered for CPU's are taken from online, making the conditions same for everyone. Therefore you can see alot more situations where lower rating CPU wins a higher rating CPU than in online.

Overall I agree that CPU-players are a bit off compared to current state of jumping. Fixing this, on the other hand, delays other progress in development of the game.
That's gotta hurt.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

pepsiman89 wrote:one of the things that is bothering me, the CPU jumpers.
not only do they fall too often, they dont represent the rankings set to their name. what im talking about is - a CPU with a rank of 1000 beats a CPU with a rank of 1400 waaay too often, i realize this is due to statistics, but is there no way of reducing the amount of falls and making them actually jump as good as their ranking indicates?
One reason to the excess rate of falling could be that many players are falling in the online game on purpose to take advantage of the fall + 95% of max length qualify rule.
pepsiman89

Post by pepsiman89 »

you have to keep in mind that when you jump with CPU's the wind conditions are different for each jumper - the data gathered for CPU's are taken from online, making the conditions same for everyone. Therefore you can see alot more situations where lower rating CPU wins a higher rating CPU than in online
that is true, though the conditions dont change too drastically over the course of, lets say 50 jumps (correct me if im wrong)
and perhaps the higher ranked player had a bad day, or made a mistake, any possible factor has to be taken into account.
One reason to the excess rate of falling could be that many players are falling in the online game on purpose to take advantage of the fall + 95% of max length qualify rule.
i understand this, and have seen it done many times when i used to play online. perhaps, a maximum length could be set for each hill (a little bit above the hill record in real life) and the CPU's skills would be set in the same manner as in DSJ3
though my knowledge of programming languages is still considerably limited (is rising as im schooling to be a CT) , i expect something like this could work.