I am frustrated with the handling and steering of the jumper

General discussion about DSJ4.
kethylas

I am frustrated with the handling and steering of the jumper

Post by kethylas »

hi all

i am interestet in how other players see this topic:

i played dsj2 and dsj3 so much like no other game.
and i did the same with dsj4 now for a while. and its really cool, like the jumper reacts depending on the wind and every thing.

but as much as i practise, i do not get better, and particularly i am not able to do constantly good jumps.

especially the last part of the flight is just to hard to steer well. i tried all different adaptions of the mouse sensitivity and camera views!
one small failure and the jump goes completely wrong.

thats why i am dissapointed and frustrated playing dsj4. EVERYTHING else is really! great.

if you compare dsj3 and dsj4:
in dsj3 it was a lot easier to steer. the jumper did what you told him with the mouse.
in dsj4 he does it often to late or overdoing what you wish to do. the jumper doesnt react directly to the mouse gestures anymore.
the point of the correct position of the skiers (and of course the jumper) - right that the skiers are just "perfectly" horizontal - and the point where they are "too" horizontal and your flight goes completely wrong, is just to hard to find.

i really wish that the game would be adapted, so that it is not so frustrating to do 2 (or more) good jumps in a row. you have to concentrate sooo hard to do a good jump (not speaking of perfect).
i think dsj3 would be the wrong way to program the handling, the approach of dsj4 is good... but it could be a lot more fun with a better steering possibility.

and dont get me wrong: i am not a beginner and i can jump far down. its not the mouse sensitivity or something else what i adjusted wrong.
i thought i would get used to dsj4, but the longer i play it just gets more frustrating.

is there any chance of an adaption for the next updates?

greetings,
kethylas.
Zmaster

Re: I am frustrated with the handling and steering of the ju

Post by Zmaster »

I can't help you other than suggesting to lower your sensitivity... Otherwise your lack of control over the jumper sounds like your fps might be low. I personally do way too much errors in jumps in my opinion and I like how hard it is to get consistently good jumps.
That's gotta hurt.
kethylas

Post by kethylas »

i dont think it hast anything to do with my pc.. its is new with all things a pc must have.
but where can i change fps?

i would just like the game to be a little bit more like dsj3 - on controlling the jumper, not the rest, the rest is perfect..
Hocx

Post by Hocx »

No i think that game is not to hard its quite right and this is whay i love that game
Arto Sihvola

Post by Arto Sihvola »

I think the main diffrence with this game compared to DSJ3 is, that your jumper position and moves also affects the skis behaviour. Sudden movements deeper in the position will knock skis abit, as it should. DSJ3 your jumper was just standing over some immovable planks and flying.
Leper Messiah TR

Post by Leper Messiah TR »

when I take off the skis kick up and the jumper loses balance. changing mouse sensitivity has absolutely no effect, nor does moving the mouse up or down! always the same fucking result :evil:

3 years in development and still as unplayable as the first beta
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Leper Messiah TR wrote:when I take off the skis kick up and the jumper loses balance. changing mouse sensitivity has absolutely no effect, nor does moving the mouse up or down! always the same fucking result :evil:

Game is perfectly playable since there are several thousand people jumping successfully.
That's gotta hurt.
Leper Messiah TR

Zmaster wrote:
Leper Messiah TR wrote:when I take off the skis kick up and the jumper loses balance. changing mouse sensitivity has absolutely no effect, nor does moving the mouse up or down! always the same fucking result :evil:

Game is perfectly playable since there are several thousand people jumping successfully.
yeah?! then tell me how Im fucking up despite following the ingame instructions to the word.
SuperAdo111

Post by SuperAdo111 »

Wait ,wait , dont swear, this game is most realistic ski jumping and it is really cool,its to you mate,you just have to make position as real ski jumpers do,for it you will need LOWER sensitivity (or even maybe bigger but very rare situation) or you have to watch few good deluxe ski jumpers (their replays) , as me (i dont say that im good,but i am nice example how to jump solid jumps) , go to Hill records -> Global Hill records-> Find player -> Admir Mujagic , and looks the way i do it,i hope it will help you,if that cant happen to you than you just have to jump,and jump,and jump (which describes my life :D).
Leper Messiah TR

ok so I found out BY MYSELF (thanks for nothing :evil: ) that you are supposed to hold the mouse perfectly still during takeoff (I get the best results by LIFTING the mouse FROM THE SURFACE OF THE MOUSEPAD - wait was this supposed to be Wii skijumping and got mixed up?), still I get absolutely nowhere with like 4 out of 300 jumps in the red zone and ZERO improvement after an hour of playing. after 100000 jumps in DSJ 3 I´m a little bit USED TO moving the mouse during the takeoff, are you not?!

DSJ 2 was fun
DSJ 3 was great
DSJ 4 rapes the franchise, and I´m done with this garbage
TPo

Post by TPo »

Leper Messiah TR wrote:ok so I found out BY MYSELF (thanks for nothing :evil: ) that you are supposed to hold the mouse perfectly still during takeoff (I get the best results by LIFTING the mouse FROM THE SURFACE OF THE MOUSEPAD - wait was this supposed to be Wii skijumping and got mixed up?), still I get absolutely nowhere with like 4 out of 300 jumps in the red zone and ZERO improvement after an hour of playing. after 100000 jumps in DSJ 3 I´m a little bit USED TO moving the mouse during the takeoff, are you not?!

DSJ 2 was fun
DSJ 3 was great
DSJ 4 rapes the franchise, and I´m done with this garbage
You just have to lrn2play. We are sorry that you cannot appreciate the skill aspect of this game.
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Leper Messiah TR wrote:you are supposed to hold the mouse perfectly still during takeoff
I do move my mouse down during the take-off, just not as rapidly as you need to in dsj3. And no need to be sarcastic and insulting towards the game here.
That's gotta hurt.
Hocx

Post by Hocx »

I played DSJ 2, DSJ 3, they are both fun but DSJ 4 is simply far better, I think that you are overreacting with your post........and there is no need to beeing sarcastic to Zmaister and Admir they are both just try to help you but........I am going to regret to say that but i think thah biggest problem for you is that in DSJ 4 you just have to think and use brain much more than in DSJ 3 and DSJ 2 which you are clearly not doing well

Sorry to Jussi and Zmaister for a little offensive speach but i just got mad reading that.
kr33

Post by kr33 »

I have similar thoughts. More jumps don't make better jumps. But I may expect that more practice is still needed.

Anyway I still have some general doubts: all says DSJ4 is the most "realistic" ever. One question to those, who are really expert jumpers now: when you jump, how many jumps normally you need do to have one failed jump (failed means you're dissapointed with the jump, you had to make significant corrections during the flight, you "felt" it's bad trial, your score is clearly worse than usually, etc)?
Is it 1/10, 1/20, 1/100, 1/1000?

When you have such statistics, you can than compare to the real World Cup jumpers and check if it's comparable. When we see the best jumpers in the world - they mostly NEVER have "failed" jumps. Even if we look on those from 3th or 4th "ten" of WC classification - they jump shorter, but still very stable, more or less as they can. It happens really accidentally when thay really fail their jump. What you think, is it 1/500? 1/1000?
If the best DSJ4 players have the same ratio - we can say "it's realistic". If not, if the ratio is higher - it's not realistic at all. No matter what is the algorithm in the background or how perfect "physical rules" has been applied. It's obvious that it's not possible to implement all aspects of real jump. So in a fight for "best realistic ever" game the rule number one should be: make the final visual result the closest to the real one, not the physical rules or body behaviors - this should be on a second place.

So the question to the best players: what is your "failure" ratio?
haGi

Post by haGi »

what i'd like to see: less realism, more fun!

e.g. two different game modes:
- simulation (DSJ 4 gameplay)
- arcade (DSJ 2 gameplay), with the ability to overlay everything with the classic dsj 2 graphics ^^